Nintendo's women gamers could transform market

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Japanese women have overtaken their male counterparts to become the biggest users of Nintendo's Wii and DS machines in a seismic shift that the company said would ''transform the video games industry''.

If the change repeats itself around the globe, said analysts, it could force a complete change of business model for many of the world's largest games makers.

According to Nintendo’s own Japan-only figures, 51 per cent of Wii users and 53 per cent of players on the handheld DS machine are women. ( That is quite a lot ).

Read about it here

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle2629649.ece

Best answers
Mmm, alright... I don't think this is really groundbreaking, it only goes to show that Wii has a wider audience, which is exactly what Nintendo goes for with every console.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's significant if you take a look at the Wii and DS sales figures in comparison to their next gen counterparts. If half of that market globally was women you don't think Microsoft and Sony would just let Nintendo keep exclusive access to those users, do you? With that many women showing interest in video game consoles marketing would shift to lure them onto other platforms, which could result in a dramatic alteration of the way game designers project women in video games. Could it happen in the U.S.? That's the real question right at the moment, and to be honest I believe it is already taking place. I know more than a handful of women who waited in line for the Wii.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mf29 said:
If the change repeats itself around the globe, said analysts, it could force a complete change of business model for many of the world's largest games makers.

Titles rated W (Women) have content that may be suitable for women ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain singing, suggestive themes, sitcom humor, periodic blood, simulated shopping, and/or infrequent use of strong perfume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom