Nintendogs has arrived!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well at least at my doorstep. Some of you might have heard about the Nintendogs giveaway on one of the news sites. You know, the program where Nintendo sent out the final American version of Nintendogs early to random winners that registered their games with Nintendo. Well...I was one of the lucky few. And I mean that. I was am still am VERY LUCKY.

All my worries about this game faded after one day and I am hooked. You can't help but like this game unless you have something against dogs, or Nintendo. It is flawlessly crafted and shines with excellence in every inch that I have uncovered at the moment.

I received the Lab and friends version (stinks cuz I wanted the Daschaund...sp?...but who is complaining, it was FREE and EARLY ha ha) and decided on a Pembroke Welsh Corgi as my dog and named him Alex. It's hard to pin point the charm of this game, but needless to say it's a blast. When talking about the game it sounds really boring and stupid, but when playing it, it's a totally different experience. The game is really in depth and has a lot of content. Some of the neat features I like at the moment are...

-Real-time clock that determines a number of things from the energy your dog has, to the things you come across on your walks.

-Dog detail. This is really impressive and something a screenshot cannot show. These dogs are beautiful and the animations are insane!!

-Voice commands. There is nothing cooler then walking into Gamestop (where I work) on you day off and being able to show off your dog and his tricks...at least for me, it was awesome to see him lie down and spin around on command.

It doesn't stop there, I could go on forever about this game, but hopefully you all will get to experience it for yourself! It's really a title that shouldn't be missed, even if you think you're "too man" for a cutesy dog sim. When something is just plan fun, it shouldn't matter how old you are :).

If you have any questions, fire away!!! I'll do the best I can with them.

Best answers
I am actually very interested in getting this game. I have alot of questions im hoping maybe you could anwser them for me, even though most of them might be too soon for you to even answer.

Is it true that you can take care more then one dog at a time from the start?
Are the voice commands easily responded too?

How long until your dog actually starts responding?
What color is your dog?

What all tricks does he/she know so far? does he/she know anymore then lying down
and spinning yet? How do you even teach them?
Can your dog actually die?

Do they stay as puppies or do they actually grow?
Can you abuse them? If so, what type of reactions do they usually have?

What is your favorite feature so far?

Why is there more then one version of this game? what's the diffrence exactly?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uhhh..... Nintendogs?

I have to admit, it sounds incredibly stupid.

I saw a flash vid of the dogs being petted. Is it at all like Black and White? Can you strike your dog if it does something you dont like?

Best answers
I must admit, i like games like these. I have the Sims 2. But i wont be getting this game, because i have a real dog.

Congrats on winning the contest.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard the game was given a perfect score by four of Famitsu's most critical reviewers, and Famitsu is a very well-known and critical gaming magazine in Japan. It got perfect 10s from all four reviewers. Now that's saying something.

I want this game. That, and Animal Crossing DS.

I just hope I'll be able to put one down and play the other. Both sound incredibly addictive to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Well I'm not going to lie. I hate to be the first to give a negative opinion about this but...I had like the exact same thing on my Pentium 75mhz 7 years ago. It's a dog, you pet it and feed it. I mean...what else can it really do?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol XIX, we were all waiting for you to give the first negative crit about it.
anyhoo, i dont mind these games where you look after something, been a long time since i played something like the Sims etc, i hope to try it in the near future. I won't buy it though, because im not a console gamer anymore :cry:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:

Well I'm not going to lie. I hate to be the first to give a negative opinion about this but...I had like the exact same thing on my Pentium 75mhz 7 years ago. It's a dog, you pet it and feed it. I mean...what else can it really do?
Hearing you compare the game to a weak PC based pet program hints to me that you don't know anything about this game. Nintendogs is so much more. It uses the DS microphone, you can name your pet and call its name, and it'll come to you if its mood is good enough. You can teach him tricks, and you can use voice commands to have him perform them. The A.I. is most excellent and everyone I've heard about the game says it very nearly resembles a real dog. The animations are superb and lifelike. Furthermore, the DS' wireless capabilities allow you to let your dog play with a friend's dog, exchange items, et cetera.

There's a lot more to it. I suggest you read up about it before drawing conclusions based on nothing. Granted, it might or might not appeal to you, but at least then you'll know what it's about.

Force Pit Member
Best answers

Is it true that you can take care more then one dog at a time from the start?

No, you start the game with $1000 and the dogs cost about $550 on average, so you have to do a little bit of work with your original dog before you can get a second.

Are the voice commands easily responded too?

So far I have had VERY little problem with the voice commands. Just make sure that once you speak into the mic it is very clear. Don't use similar words for different tricks, etc. Also make sure that the voice you record the name/trick in is the one you regularly use, otherwise you will have to match the same akward sound that you recorded it as.

How long until your dog actually starts responding?

To it's name? About 20 mins total from the start up of the game to when you buy your dog and teach it it's name. After that the name sticks with him/her :).

What color is your dog?

I have a light brown Pembroke Welsh Corgi, here is a picture:

What all tricks does he/she know so far? does he/she know anymore then lying down
and spinning yet? How do you even teach them?

At the moment Alex (my Corgi) knows, Sit, Lie down, Roll Over, Jump, Shake, and Spin around in circles. Teaching the dog is rather easy. The game starts you out with a training manual that you have the option of reading (definately do!!!). And basiclly you make the dog preform the trick by certain stylus movements. Such as, while he/she is standing you can rub his/her head and then swipe down with the stylus, at that point the Dog will sit. The first time a trick is preformed a small lightbulb icon will appear in the top right hand corner of the touch screen. You simple click on it and you will see the recording icon. Say "sit" or whatever you wish to name the trick and repeat the process untill the dog learns it (usually 3 times, as long as you say the same word each time in close to the same way). After that the trick is thought and all you need to do is practice it more for the obedience compitions.

Can your dog actually die?

No

Do they stay as puppies or do they actually grow?

Puppies, always.

Can you abuse them? If so, what type of reactions do they usually have?

No, you cannot abuse your dog, haha. I mean if you want to can never take it on walks, never feed it, never wash it, and never give it water, and it won't like or listen to you. But as far as slapping him, or something like that, you can't.

What is your favorite feature so far?

Tough question. I really liek the voice commands it's really satisfiying to see my dog jump and spin and sit on command ^_^. And frisbee throwing is fun :).

Why is there more then one version of this game? what's the diffrence exactly?

This is a common question and very misunderstood. The difference in the versions is rather minimal. Each version has 6 dogs you can pick right from the get go. Now you can unlock all the breeds on a single version of the game. This can be done many ways. One is by getting unlocking the breeds through breeder points (which you get for stuff you should be doing, like playing with your dog, feeding it, and taking it for walks). Once you have gathered 1000 Breeder points you can unlock one new breed. Depending on how much you play 1000 breeder points can be accumlated rather quickly, I have only had the game for 3 days and I already have 800 something.

The second way is to meet up with a friend who has a different version of the game. Once you meet thier dog (lets say a Pug, which is on the Daschuad version) the Pug breed would be unlocked on my system.

The only difference I am to understand between the versions is a few items, like dog accessories and toys, but nothing insane to where you have to buy all 3 :).

Any other questions? These were really good!

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Excellent! I was hoping someone on the forums would pick up a copy of Nintendogs (the fact that you got it early is icing on the cake). I'm glad to hear that it lives up to its reviews.

However, as with most games that require a fair amount of attention from the player, I have to ask: Are there penalties for not playing Nintendogs for, let's say, 5 days or a week? Will your dog be prone to bad health if you're forced to leave Nintendogs for that period of time?

Again - good to hear your opinion on this game, Eclipse - myself and a few other buddies were quite looking forward to hearin more about Nintendogs.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i wonder, do your dogs actually grow their own personality over time or do they just stay a generic dog that you can teach stuff

Force Pit Member
Best answers
However, as with most games that require a fair amount of attention from the player, I have to ask: Are there penalties for not playing Nintendogs for, let's say, 5 days or a week? Will your dog be prone to bad health if you're forced to leave Nintendogs for that period of time?

Well although I can't answer this from experience, what I have read about on the web is basiclly this. If you can't get to your dog work a couple of days, the penalties will be minimal. Basiclly your dog will be in poor health. He will be hungy, thirsty and have flees, plus he won't like you very much. But with a bath, food, water, and some play time, he turns back to normal in no time (less then a days worth of work :)).

i wonder, do your dogs actually grow their own personality over time or do they just stay a generic dog that you can teach stuff

Again another question I can't answer just yet, but I am led to beleive yes. Some dogs will be more friendly then others, harder to train then others/stubborn, and like to play with/eat differnet thing. Other then that I don't think there is really that big of a difference between them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While it sounds like there is a lot of depth to this, I can't help but chuckle at the fact that they've 'rehashed' that old computer game.

Sounds cool, though I would never play it. Call me crazy but this is the sort of thing where, when it gets so close to real like this, I would just prefer to get a real dog.

But hey. I've always been a cat man, myself. So if there's one with cats, I will be all over it. Hehe.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
A little more info on the last question I answered. Yes it seems that the actions you take and the way you treat the dog will determine how he turns out. So they do grow thier own personality :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom