Nintendo sued for stealing controller technology.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anascape sues Microsoft, Nintendo
Texas-based firm alleges that console manufacturers have infringed on a dozen patents granted between 1999 and 2005.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Aug 4, 2006 1:33 am GMT
Sony has already lost a lawsuit regarding patent infringement in its DualShock game pads, and now rivals Microsoft and Nintendo are facing their own legal battles over controller technology.

Texas-based Anascape filed suit on Monday in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, alleging that both companies infringed on 12 patents it was granted between 1999 and 2005. The patents in question deal with a variety of controller technologies, including analog sensors, tactile feedback, and vibration mechanisms.

The complaint specifies which patents it believes each company violated, but it doesn't detail the alleged infringements. Anascape is seeking payment with interest for damages it suffered as a result of the alleged infringement and an accounting of Nintendo and Microsoft revenues that stemmed from the use of the patents. If a judge doesn't rule for a permanent injunction against the companies' use of the patents, Anascape is also asking for them to be made to pay a compulsory licensing fee to keep using them.

Court records indicate that a summons was issued to Nintendo and Microsoft on Monday, but the companies as yet have not assigned any legal representation in the case.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
A high end company...stealing ideas?

STOP THE PRESSES

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lets make a great idea, wait for companies to take it and alter it long ways, wait for those companies to get extremely rich, then sue.

INGENIOUS!

Retarded. Stop sueing for the dumbest ideas.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe we file this under frivolous.... cased dismissed.

Best answers
Me and the Anascape president are going to have a little talk*grabs shotgun from closet.

Bah, I don't really believe this but if it's true that nintendo and microsoft have infringed on patents they'll probably be smart and just cough up some money.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Of course they'll cough it up, though god knows these 'Patent Farms' piss me off something awful. Companies patenting any particularly viable control or console design with no intention of actually making a product. Instead they sit and wait for a real company to do something, so they can leech more money off them.

It's the highest quality of bull, and the practice makes me sick to my stomach.

But I hope they pay the fine and move on. Sony only suffered as it tried to go up against it in the courts and, as a direct result, ending up paying far more than was originally asked for.

This happens all the time. Patents need a definite rethink when it comes to the gaming market. They just don't work here.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like how when Nintendo steals an idea, it's because nobody else had been utilizing it except so-called "patent farms," but when Sony "steals" an idea, it's because they're an inconsiderate, avaricious corporation with ideas of world conquest. :rolleyes:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I felt the same way about both actually. Patents don't work in the gaming industry, you can't have something useful that all major companies in the industry need to use patented, it just hurts the consumer.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Um, Alea, before you make a post you really ought to reread what you think you're replying to. That might make you're reaction look a little less 'knee!jerk'.

I was pointing out that the patenting problem affects all sides of the market. And that it was better to give up and pay the fee rather than, as Sony did, attempt to fight it in the courts. Nowhere in my post did I accuse Sony of 'stealing' from Immersion and, as far as I can remember, I never have..

I know the net can hold a person's old opinions for all to see, perhaps I did say something to that affect at the time, but lumping me with the fanboys for something I may or may not have said over a year ago.. or, to be more accurate, for defending Nintendo AND Microsoft's position.. that just strikes me as silly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think she meant anything by it, Engar. It's just that this thread is full of people who, in the same exact situation, called our company of choice all kinds of things because they're just idea-thieving losers, apparently. I think she meant this as a general point, not directed at you. Because in the past we've been all but assaulted about that particular subject in older threads--by a good amount of the people who will no doubt reply to this with a polarized take on the same situation.

Patenting is a brutal thing in today's world of technology. Honestly it pisses me off to no end. John Carmack doesn't get a cut of every game that has shadows or bump mapping, Valve doesn't get a cut of every game that has a physics engine, but in the console world they are just out for blood.

Alea is right, though. It is really weak that we get dissed when Sony gets into this situation. I mean at least when it happened to Sony they didn't take it lying down.

Engar, you're also right, you're one of the few people around here who is able to present your point of view on this console stuff without being incendiary or crude. Which is why I think Alea's post was more directed at the en masse ignorance that usually graces us during the previous discussions of Sony's similar legal problem.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I fail to see how this company can hold the patent to rumbling (the tactile feedback) when Immersion already has it. The other ones might be vaild though.

Best answers
Is this serious ? Theres no infringement on Nintendo's part. Nintendo used the rumble feature before it was patented, plus there is no way that company is going to win this lawsuit. They're just trying to get money after they saw what happened to Sony i suppose.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's just something people do to get money. They sue someone over some trivial and pointless, yet somehow win.

McDonald Coffee? Robber falling on a knife? Man getting too fat from eating fast food constantly?

Yeah. People sue for the dumbest things.

Best answers
Hah. The best part about this that Nintendo is probably going to lose.
This proves there is a god, gogo !

Best answers
Diamond Princess said:
Is this serious ? Theres no infringement on Nintendo's part. Nintendo used the rumble feature before it was patented, plus there is no way that company is going to win this lawsuit. They're just trying to get money after they saw what happened to Sony i suppose.
:laff: your nintendofangirldom is showing alot lately. thats what they get for stealing ;)

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How is this frivolous? A patent means you have the exclusive right to make, use, and sell an invention/idea for a set period of time.

If you come up with an amazing idea, but don't have the funds to see it through yourself, why does that mean you shouldn't still be able to protect that idea so that someone else can't make a fortune off of it?

This isn't like McDonalds Coffee, these guys actually have grounds to sue, patent violation.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
It's just something people do to get money. They sue someone over some trivial and pointless, yet somehow win.

McDonald Coffee? Robber falling on a knife? Man getting too fat from eating fast food constantly?

Yeah. People sue for the dumbest things.
my teacher told me about this guy who broke into a house when the people were on vacation, cus he knew them, he broke in through the skylight, and broke his leg or something, but he was fine. he took all the stuff into the garage so he could drive in and pick it up and get away. on his last run to get loot he accidently locked the garage door > house door on him self, and you couldnt opent he big garage > outside door from inside the garage, and he had to survive for 2 weeks on dogfood, then when the people got back he was almost dead, and he sued them for something and won.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Engar said:
Um, Alea, before you make a post you really ought to reread what you think you're replying to. That might make you're reaction look a little less 'knee!jerk'.

I was pointing out that the patenting problem affects all sides of the market. And that it was better to give up and pay the fee rather than, as Sony did, attempt to fight it in the courts. Nowhere in my post did I accuse Sony of 'stealing' from Immersion and, as far as I can remember, I never have..

I know the net can hold a person's old opinions for all to see, perhaps I did say something to that affect at the time, but lumping me with the fanboys for something I may or may not have said over a year ago.. or, to be more accurate, for defending Nintendo AND Microsoft's position.. that just strikes me as silly.
The post wasn't a knee-jerk reaction. It was an apt observation referring to both the former posters as well as the vidiots on GameSpot. People condemn Sony and support Nintendo for the same situation. At least some people.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im in full agreement with alea and opti on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom