Nintendo Sets Multiple Sales Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Before I quote the article, this isn't about which console/hand-held is better. I'm not quoting it to rub in anyones faces, I could care less which console/hand-held is better. I just thought this was something interesting.

The Wii was a success when it launched here in the States, selling 600,000 units in eight days. It was a success in Japan as well, selling 400,000 in just one morning. On December 8, Nintendo's new system launched in Europe and sold 325,000 units in just two days. This makes the Wii the fastest-selling home console in history according to Nintendo. The top-selling game for the European launch was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess which clocked in at 240,000 copies sold. Nintendo says that more stock is on the way to retail stores across Europe and that a steady supply will be coming in throughout this month and into next year.

The Wii isn't Nintendo's only big seller this month. Last week gamers purchased 515,000 Nintendo DS units, which is yet another record for the most units any console has sold in one week. Guess that means some Nintendo employees will be getting a very nice Christmas bonus this year.
Source: http://wii.gamespy.com/articles/750/750858p1.html

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
See what happens when you make a reasonable number of units for release?

The 500 000 DS's, though, that's pretty ****ing amazing.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
500,000 DS's? jesus christ that things been out forever wtf is the rush, the wii has no games with DS compatibility yet :eek:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
400,000 in a morning doesn't even seem physically possible o_O

Best answers
Chakra-X said:
400,000 in a morning doesn't even seem physically possible o_O
Japan....point taken. Im not surprised >_< They're crazy for this stuff, but who can blame them. Now I know why interlink sued Nintendo. Sheesh. Jelousy FTW >_<. They want some of that money.

-GuZzie

Best answers
500,000 DS's? jesus christ that things been out forever wtf is the rush, the wii has no games with DS compatibility yet :eek:
It's the DS Lite. I don't know if you've ever used one. But if you ever do compare it to a DS Phat. The difference is unbelievable. The Lite is about 2x brighter and has much better colors. It also doesn't ghost at all, and the audio is much better. On top of being small, and having about 2x the battery life. I got one, and my friend has a Phat, the difference is insane.

But anyway. Honestly I'm not suprised. Nintendo is pulling in a lot of the casual croud, even people who aren't into video games. Hell my buddy's mom is buying one for herself.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I expected the Wii's to sell out, but the DS is crazy. 515,000 units in one week?! That's insane. I want to buy a DS myself actually.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Call big N the comeback kid, but don't call it a knock out yet. This console war is gonna be hot and heavy and the people who are gonna win (besides IBM) is us.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol yeh, yesterday i wanted to buy me one Wii, but i looked on online shops and all wii's have been sold out, then i was gone to one media shop and it was sold out aswell , then in another one... luckl there still have been 3 Wii's

Guys, i always knew :p Nintendo Ownz!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah sure it does.

Let's have a math lesson, class:

Video Games = "Automatic Babysitter" to jaded parents who hate having to interact with their kids all the time.

Nintendo = Cheapest and most abundant of the three home console options.

If these two postulates are true, then [Cheapest Price] + [Automatic Babysitter] is equal to [Nintendo]. We have solved for 'lame inflation of holiday sales figures.'

That thing is only selling because a ****load of parents are buying it for kids they know nothing about in hopes it will fill the void their now-deceased gamecubes and GBAs once occupied.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah sure it does.

Let's have a math lesson, class:

Video Games = "Automatic Babysitter" to jaded parents who hate having to interact with their kids all the time.

Nintendo = Cheapest and most abundant of the three home console options.

If these two postulates are true, then [Cheapest Price] + [Automatic Babysitter] is equal to [Nintendo]. We have solved for 'lame inflation of holiday sales figures.'

That thing is only selling because a ****load of parents are buying it for kids they know nothing about in hopes it will fill the void their now-deceased gamecubes and GBAs once occupied.
redneck mathematics ftw

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's from Boston. I don't know about him, but calling someone on the east coast a redneck is degrading to me.

He also happens to be right. I was at gamestop 2 days ago, and a mother told his kid to get something that'll keep him busy for most of the day. She then bought a ****load of games (for various consoles), a wii, and a halo action figure type thing. Parents are forgetting how to take care of their kids, or just never learned due to their parents being the same way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wth does it matter
nintendo is doing well for themselves!!
why is it so hard for SPXIX to be happy for anyone other than himself and Sony?

p.s. btw, my bad, i got nuzzy and spxix mixed up. easy thing to do....

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol Im working by "Nintendo of Europe" in Gro?ostheim.

There is so much work right now...The stuff where we shipped out was already sold out before it even hit the street-day on 8 december.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wth does it matter
nintendo is doing well for themselves!!
why is it so hard for SPXIX to be happy for anyone other than himself and Sony?

p.s. btw, my bad, i got nuzzy and spxix mixed up. easy thing to do....
Well I can see from your location listing that you're not in the U.S., so it's only fair that you wouldn't have as much of an idea of what I was talking about because it is largely a U.S.-bred issue.

Here we have a lot of people who get pregnant and have kids real young and don't give a ****. In my hometown a newborn infant was found hanging on a fence in a trash bag by the waterfront, umbilical still attached; another news story that was big up here a few years back was how a girl somehow went into the bathroom during her prom, GAVE BIRTH in the toilet, and BIT the umbilical cord off, then cleaned herself up, finished the prom, and went home.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Here in America having a baby is seen as a minor inconvenience that is an unfortunate and only occasional side effect to getting laid.

When you add this general statistic of how many kids are born each year here that NO ONE wants or plans for...and you throw it in with the generally poor state of American parenting (due to numerous factors, political correctness, the abuse of TV, etc) and you have a very nasty combination of a number of people who have very poorly behaved bratty kids and who could barely give a **** what the kid does as long as it shuts up and lets them watch Lost.

If it were not for this single, solitary truth about piss poor parenting in America, along with our americanized capitalist uberholidays, the big N would have sold 1/4 this amount. Probably even less. See, the market isn't made up of just the educated and employed gaming public--no sir. In fact, we share demographics with a lot of people who have pretty much zero interest in the quality or longevity of these products.

So what's the bottom line here, you ask? It's simple.

People can come in here and pop mahogany about some sales figure all they want. At the end of the day, nobody bought this product because they deemed it the best choice; nobody bought these products because they have a great library of games, innovative control schemes, a vast library of backward-compatible titles, or any of that. Nobody bought the Wii because they did a thorough comparison and found it would be the best choice for their wishes for the next five year span of their console gaming; nobody bought it to protect their children from playing violent, adult-only games; nobody bought it because it has superior graphics; nobody bought it because it has some killer must-have title; nobody bought it because it has powerful hardware; nobody bought it because it has a great online component; and most of all, nobody compared it to the other two in any way shape or form and found it to be 'better' or 'the best' of the three.

People bought it because it was the cheapest thing on the wall their kids screamed in front of during their christmas shopping.

That's all I'm saying.

All that aside...you can come in here and try to crack disses at me like your some kinda big dog on the block, that's fine. I take a lot of pride in the gaming industry. I think that it is one of the most technologically and creatively impressive aesthetic achievements in human history. And I am sick and ****ing tired of being looked at like a loser because when I say I like to play video games, people think I'm playing with a kids' ****ing toy, because of people like this. I'm sick and ****ing tired of my games coming under political and legal heat because the notion of a ****ing video game being for mature audiences only is completely ****ing alien to Soccer Mom Sally because "it's just a toy." I am sick and ****ing tired of people wanting to do a ****ing psych profile on me because Daddy Doesn't-Give-A-Damn let his kids play a game where they murder police and they ended up trying to shoot up a ****ing schoolyard.

Now maybe you can deal with all that ****. Nobody has the kind of pride and reverence I have for video games and its respective industry--NOBODY. So I don't want to deal with that **** anymore. Neither should you--any of you.

What does this have to do with Nintendo, you ask? Well it's simple. Big N markets to kids. They like the "toy" niche. It makes them money, and it helps them avoid the sales wrath of the beast machines they are constantly besieged by in the industry. But suppose they started to really take off, and suppose all the game sales started to be dominated by kiddie games or "rated G" games like Guitar Hero or DDR. What do you think would happen if Nintendo won the console war and destroyed Xbox and PS3, exactly? You think you'd still have online shooters? RTS games outside the PC? Advanced video technology? Games with photorealistic graphics? Yeah sure. Nin can't even rip those things off of other companies until five years after the fact (and don't bother arguing back, history ain't on your side).

Here's what you have to look forward to in a Nintendo dominated market:

1.) Death of the console shooter.
2.) Death of the third person action game, save for the occasional Zelda.
3.) Death of the console RTS/keyboard+mouse initiative
4.) Death of all true online innovations
5.) Death of technological advancements in video games.
6.) Death of client/server console online architecture
7.) Death of multi-use consoles
8.) Death of third-party licensing, and thus death of independent game development as we know it

So yeah. I rejoice when I see Nintendo fail, and I cringe when I see it succeed. But it isn't because I'm an *******, or a fanboy, or anything like that. It's because someday in the future you just might be at EB games and be looking at a wall full of Zelda, Metroid, and Mario (no doubt all redos of old sequels), and nothing the hell else. And if that ever happens I promise you, even the biggest Nintendo fanboys will wish it went differently.

Either way...have fun waving your stick around at the wall trying to fish. I'm going to play Gears of War.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you didn't want anyone to talk about the article, then you probably shouldn't have posted it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He wanted people to discuss the numbers, not the Why (or if the why was intended, he didn't want to know about kids being left in dumpsters).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was just doing people the dignity of explaining my side of the fence. Maybe I should have just said, "Ha...Whatever buddy," and moved on. Maybe I should just give Ness a warning for spam, delete all the posts after, and close the thread.

Last time I checked we are all entitled to our opinions and no one broke any rules. I've made it clear that I don't like to close threads--because I don't like to treat the user base like children, even if some of them are.

All "console war" comments aside...as I see it it's not a console war until people start flaming each other aimlessly. Discussing different aspects of a topic is natural, and if all we were supposed to do was agree until the topic falls off the front page, this forum would be...well exactly what it is. Weak.

We as a community should be able to converse about this topic. For the most part people are being respectful and the topic of sales figures isn't miles away from any of these posts, save "Redneck math" of course. So I don't really see why I should close it--especially at the behest of the thread creator, who could just as easily delete the whole topic out of existence.

*sigh* It's clear I'm overestimating this forum's mental capacity for maturity and decency, once again.

Have it your way, MC. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom