Nintendo DS Lite

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just wondering about your thoughts on the DS.

i saw one at gamestop the other day and i thought those DS lites were pretty neat, but i couldnt really think of a good reason to buy one besides megaman ZX.

i heard that nintendo was coming out with hard drives for the DS is that true? cus if i could put some music on it... it would be differant

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DS is somewhat better gameply wise, It has a nice look and N64 type fresh graphics, I would reccomend buying one for Super Mario Brothers, I've played it at Block Buster and it isn't over rated, Also get Mario 64 DS, it's also a good game.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I bought myself a DS back in February off of a buddy's brother and have not, since then, regretted my purchase in the slightest.

I don't know enough about the subject to confirm whether or not your statement about a DS hard drive is true, but I can tell you that you should be focusing on picking one up for the gaming side. Truth be told, had I been more interested in an all-in-one handheld device, I'd have saved up for a PSP (though I'm not satisfied with its library of titles).

I've heard, on the whole, very good things about the Lite. Naturally, it has the same titles available to it that my clunky, older-style DS has, except the screen is noticeable brighter and the image is, from what I've heard, more crisp and colourful. There's been mention that the D-Pad on the Lite doesn't like to recognize the diagonals as well as the older model, but I believe most people have found that workable.

Long story short, though - if you're looking to get a DS for possible future multi-functionality, I'd wait up. The DS is selling well for its games, as far as I know; not for other multimedia purposes.

Best answers
I think the DS is Nintendo's best console ever and it has one of the best games lineups ever in a handheld console. Being threatened by the PSP, is probably one of the best things, that could happen to Nintendo. They got developers making games on it that haven't touched Nintendo consoles in a while (SquareEnix, Atlus, Konami).

The fact that the DS has some of the strongest 3rd party games ever for a modern Nintendo console and some of the strongest gaming lineups ever for games, is reason enough alone to buy one. It truely is an extraordinary console.

If your expecting an hard drive, then maybe the PSP might fit your needs alot more. That was kinda random, in my opinion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Diamond Princess said:

The fact that the DS has some of the strongest 3rd party games ever for a modern Nintendo console and some of the strongest gaming lineups ever for games, is reason enough alone to buy one. It truely is an extraordinary console.
actually, they are all Second-party.

anyway, the DS is quite a nifty console, and its fun for anyone who knows how to program because you can make your own little games for it. it doesnt offer as much versatility as a psp, but if you just want it for fun little games, go for it.

that being said, i use my psp to play games from my childhood, ranging all the way from sega and nintendo megadrive/snes consoles, all the way up to the N64.

i have friends who are running DS games on their psp's too... so i guess its down to you, the only problem with that, is it doesnt have a touch screen.

Best answers
I got a DS when they came out her in December 2004 and it's pretty good. I wouldn't buy a DS Lite because i think its like $20 more than a regular and all it has is the power button is in a different place and the screen can be changed to different brightness levels. I have heard that sometime in the not so distant future the DS will have some kind of card/chip thing (probably looks like the games do) that will allow you to go online. It will use the Opera browser but it still would be cool since DS' are a lot cheaper than PSP's and have a lot of better games imo.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sorry about the hard drive thing

but theres a rumor going around that they might be making some type of mp3 adaptor for it.

the lites are a tad lighter and smalller than the regular ones i guess, the gamespot dude showed me his when i was at the store.

how does the wifi support work? do i have to be within a certain wireless internet distance, how does that work, is it hard to get a connection?

advance wars double strike or whatever got pretty good reviews and should be fun, and the megaman ZX... transforming.... all lookds good too, bit i'll wait for the review.

shiyo... any good games you played if you read this?

hows final fantasy 3?

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
actually, they are all Second-party.
Really ? wow after all this time, I had it wrong, silly me. ^_^ I always thought that 1st and 2nd party titles, were released within the first 6 months after an gaming console was initially released. Even then, I thought 3rd party titles were just that, when their released by 3rd party devs.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
how does the wifi support work? do i have to be within a certain wireless internet distance, how does that work, is it hard to get a connection?
To connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi, you only need to have a wireless router. If you don't have one and do not plan to get one, you can use the USB adaptor that Nintendo sells. It plugs into a USB port on your PC and creates a wi-fi hotspot for your DS to use. The configuration, in-game, is intuitive and easy, and if you hit any obstacles, there's some troubleshooting info on Nintendo's website.

I use a standard, Linksys wireless router, and I had no trouble, whatsoever, detecting it and using it to battle madly in Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime: Hunters.

There's also the local wireless gameplay, if you know a few people who also have a DS. Most of the games support that feature, even if they don't have a feature that uses Nintendo Wi-Fi. The bonus in local play is that, much of the time, if any of your friends do not own the game, they can use "DS Download Play" and join in, anyway (though with limited functionality. For example, in MP: Hunters, a person without the game is stuck playing as Samus).

As for good games (I know I'm not Shiyo :p ), I've had nothing but great fun with Mario Kart DS (the best Mario Kart game made, imo, since it combines stages from every previous Mario Kart game, plus some original tracks), New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Metroid Prime: Hunters, and Tetris DS.

It's also worth noting that while the PSP may have, or be getting, a DS emulator, there are some games it likely won't be able to play well due to the lack of stylus control. Having said that, I'd also like to remark that not all games rely on the stylus. Sometimes, to keep a game entertaining and absorbing, you cannot put in a touch screen feature that'd be more decent than it would be gimmicky. Castlevania, for instance, only uses the touch screen when fininshing a boss fight ("sealing" the enemy with a symbol), and Tetris DS only uses the stylus in one mode. New Super Mario Bros. only uses the touch screen to call up a stored powerup (a la Super Mario World's select button functionality) or in the mini-games. Tbh, it's easier to call up your stored powerup with your pinky finger, anyway :p

I have yet to try that lawyer title (is it Phoenix Wright?) and I'm still looking to try the surgery game (it appeals to my interests in medicine :p).

There's a good spectrum of titles out; I recommend checking IGN or Gamespot just for a preliminary look at them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Diamond Princess said:
Really ? wow after all this time, I had it wrong, silly me. ^_^ I always thought that 1st and 2nd party titles, were released within the first 6 months after an gaming console was initially released. Even then, I thought 3rd party titles were just that, when their released by 3rd party devs.
1st party: any title both made, and distributed by the console company, eg: mario.

2nd party: any title made by a different company, but will only ever appear on one console, a great example, would be Rare, who made goldeneye, and nintendo published it.

3rd party: any title made by an independant studio, and which is published by a non-manufacturer party. most pc games are good examples of this, but in terms of console titles tomb rader, which was created and published by the same studio.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so i cant just walk around town with my nintendo and play online with folks?

also, what about the web browser thing, i think i read that it was only in japan is that true? does it automaticly pick up wireless internet?

and my connection at home is a cable connection.

yea and majin i was checking out some games at gamespot, super marios would of been a buy for me, but i thought it was super mario world :(

mario kart 64 ds wa son my mind too i just forgot to mention it, and i watched some gameplay vids for castlevania and it looked pretty neat, similiar to the one they had for the advance, forgot what it was called but it looked like the same character. do you still "absorb" random enemies abilities? hows the replay value on that, cus the other one was ok but i wouldnt run through it again...

throw awsome games at me people. and please elaborate on the nintendo wifi thing....

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
and please elaborate on the nintendo wifi thing....
Nintendo Wi-Fi is a service, offerred by Nintendo, that allows you to use your internet connection to play certain games with people from around the world. Currently, most Wi-Fi-compatible games allow up to 4 players in one game. There are points about this service that I don't like that much, but I live with. For instance, you don't get to specifically challenge anyone unless you have their "friend code" (or, in the case of MP: Hunters, you have them as a friend or as a "rival", the latter of which doesn't require a friend code, as far as I know). It's never really been a huge bother to me, though, since I'm not so into online gaming that I want to repeatedly play against the same people.

Do not, however, confuse Nintendo Wi-Fi with the DS' "wireless mode", which refers to the DS equivalent of LAN play. Wireless modes generally seem to support up to 8 players, but they need to be nearby for wireless gameplay to be available. Mario Kart, I believe, offers such a mode - allowing up to 8 people to race when using the wireless feature, but only allowing 4 people to race when you use Nintendo Wi-Fi (ie: internet play).

Basically, Nintendo Wi-Fi = playing over the internet. Wireless play = playing with others that are in the immediate vicinity (ie: in a LAN made out of DS's).

...also, the Castlevania is a sequel to the last one that was made on the GBA, so that's why the character seems so familiar (it's Soma from GBA's Aria of Sorrow). I much preferred this one to the one on the GBA. The replay value is a tad higher, since, unless you use a walkthrough, you likely won't unlock all of the hidden game modes in one run. You may have to go back and advance through the game with a fine-toothed comb.

EDIT - In regards to the version of Opera for the DS that allows you to browse the internet, IGN commented that the DS simply didn't seem to have enough available memory and processing power to swiftly load and cache many sites in the build of the browser that they got. With some extensive fine-tuning, it may be possible to design an efficient and functional browser for the DS, but, for now, things don't look particularly pretty for internet browsing on the DS.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
alright thanks. so to get on the internet i'd have to do it form my home, what about a wireless connection such as a school area?

and by wireless i mean WIRELESS INTERNET not the 'lan' thing, i know the difference.

Best answers
Well, in a school area it might be a little harder. Most schools use encryption on wireless access points, which requires a keycode to be entered to gain access (going from the PSP's wireless mode, never done it on a DS).

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
1st party: any title both made, and distributed by the console company, eg: mario.

2nd party: any title made by a different company, but will only ever appear on one console, a great example, would be Rare, who made goldeneye, and nintendo published it.

3rd party: any title made by an independant studio, and which is published by a non-manufacturer party. most pc games are good examples of this, but in terms of console titles tomb rader, which was created and published by the same studio.
I see. I understand it now, thank you. ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I bought a black DS Lite on launch day, and I haven't regretted my purchase.

It's MUCH lighter than the original DS, and the screen is so much better than the original's. If you compared the backlight of the original DS to that of the Lite, you'd think the original DS's light was broken. That's how much brighter the Lite's screen is. It makes playing games like Metroid Prime: Hunters a bit easier, because it's a dark game at times.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They do that poorly lit screen thing on purpose. They always release a version with a crap screen then release a shrunken backlit version shortly afterward. It's happened for every handheld so far from them.

That being said, if I ever had an interest in a handheld and didn't want the PSP or some other competitor, I would probably not buy any Nintendo product at release either, because I know they're going to put a crap screen in it every time. Despite the guerilla marketing tactic though, the DS is a very solid machine and has some actually good games on it. I almost want to emulate it for that new Mario game...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're always whining about how us 'Nintendoids' love spouting nonsense, yet here you go, do the very same thing, without providing any proof.

You just love regurgitating the same old uneducated, unenlightened opinion over and over again, don't you?

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
ok it stops before it starts, no console or company wars. No one posts any comparisons to any other console from here on out, or immediate thread closure + warning will ensue. Any retaliations no matter how subtle will be dealt with, I'm watching this very closely.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't do anything wrong.

Hopefully your watching closely enough to see that this
No one posts any comparisons to any other console from here on out
didn't happen.

What DID happen, is someone disrespected another person for their opinion on the topic. Keep up the good work. I actually didn't even diss the damn thing, for god's sake.

I didn't say you did anything, did I? chill the heck out bro, just a fair warning to everyone else, no need for the unwanted sarcasm. This isn't a conspiracy. ~Magus

Issue warnings where appropriate next time. --Pride

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom