Nintendo DS Lite

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
They do that poorly lit screen thing on purpose. They always release a version with a crap screen then release a shrunken backlit version shortly afterward. It's happened for every handheld so far from them.

That being said, if I ever had an interest in a handheld and didn't want the PSP or some other competitor, I would probably not buy any Nintendo product at release either, because I know they're going to put a crap screen in it every time. Despite the guerilla marketing tactic though, the DS is a very solid machine and has some actually good games on it. I almost want to emulate it for that new Mario game...
I have the original DS, and I would hardly call the screen crap. Unlike previous versions of the gameboy, where I'd agree with you, the initial DS is backlit, just not as brightly as the new one. I have absolutley no complaints with the DS as is, the new version improves on greatness imo. It doesn't cover critical flaws, or fix broken launch hardware.

That and I have no dead pixels.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I agree that dishing out money twice for a machine that doesn't really do anything new, gameplay-wise, is obviously not something pleasant, but if you look at how much the Lite improves over the DS, there's just no contest - better battery life, brighter screen, better Stylus (it's a bit bigger so it's easier to handle), it's much lighter, much sexier, and much more compact.

But I'd hardly call it a rip-off, which is the term some people love throwing around. It's not like you NEED the Lite in order to play any of the new games. It offers the exact same functionality. Only better. Plus, nobody's forcing anyone to get one. Though, some people would prefer to believe that.

Best answers
And plus, it's better for those who do not own DS yet, They can buy DS Lite straight off. And if you have the older version, you dont have to buy it unless you absolutely need brighter screen and longer battery... :D

Best answers
I kinda refer to my old DS as the blue brick -its almost as bad as trying to carry around a PSP (mines in a playgear pocket) in your pocket (its extremely uncomfortable sometimes)

I gave my old blue DS to my younger brother, and I got a White DS lite (what I like about the lite)

1. Its smaller (easier to carry around)
2. In my opinion it closes up alot better than the DS (less dust in the screens)
3. The stylus is pretty easy to take out and put back in (its on the right side instead of the top of the unit)
4. of course the brighter screen (you can set up screen brightness when you turn it on in options)
5. the buttons are a bit firmer than the DS

(things i dont like as much)

1. The normal DS lite doesnt come with a wrist strap thing like the DS did (have to buy one seperate I guess). since the systems slimer sometimes feels like I might drop it. -like when you hands get sweaty after too long a gaming session-
2. The Dpad is smaller (its not a big annoyance, but i have from time to time hit the wrong dpad direction due to it (getting me killed in castlevania/mario)
3. the start and select buttons are tiny little dots (i dont like its start and select button at all.. nor thier position of being on top of eachother)
4. GBA game carts stick out a little from the GBA slot (its not alot though, so its not a big deal) -make sure to keep that gba slot protector in to keep dust out when not using the slot.
5. The material finish on the DS lite is like the PSP, where you touch it and you leave marks all over it (the cover sides and back).. the inside is a matt finish there is no gloss/finger marking going to happen
6. Its charger plug into the unit is smaller than the DS charger (dont lose either your normal ds lite or ds charger.. you cant inter switch like GBA and GBA SP's
----------------------------------------

Sound Quality on both units is just fine
The DS lite uses a power slider instead of a power button like the DS(you move the slider up to turn on,, and hold it up for a few secs to turn it off)
Both have Wi-Fi / lan infrared

When you Setup your Wi-Fi connection it will locate any Wireless network around its range (not that big! a few hundred feet I believe) - so the closer to the wireless router/hub the better - If the network is passworded it comes up with a picture of a lock on it (without the network encrpyt code you wont be using it)

=======================
If there are any games coming out you want (or feel you must have) by all means get one, its a great handheld for gaming -very good games so far-

(in regards to the original DS's backlit screen, in side a house/ normally lit areas its pretty much fine and dandy, but trying to play it outside in the sun/ in the car on a sunny day it was so hard to see anything I had to get the DS lite)
Another reason I got one was because it feels a bit more comfortable while holding it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does the DS have wosre graphics then the PSP.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When you say worse graphics, you make it sound like comparing an Atari 2600 to a PS2. The difference isn't as dramatic as Sony would hope. To boot, the DS's games are much more fun and inventive.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
I have the original DS, and I would hardly call the screen crap. Unlike previous versions of the gameboy, where I'd agree with you, the initial DS is backlit, just not as brightly as the new one. I have absolutley no complaints with the DS as is, the new version improves on greatness imo. It doesn't cover critical flaws, or fix broken launch hardware.

That and I have no dead pixels.
I have one pixel out of place but it's super small. Maybe its a scratch on my screen from when I dropped it in water accidently. Which made my touch screen stop working until I took the batteries out and let it dry and then it worked fine.
Quoted for truth. I think the same thing. All the Lite has is a moved power button (they claim people accidently hit the power off on the original DS, I've never done it accidently and I play mine all of the time because you have to hold the button in for it to turn off, who would accidently hold it in for like 3 full seconds?) it also has a lighter screen.
As for the Opera browser thing Nintendo Power said that they might do it. I think that they may have some hardware update for the DS or something to enable it, or like I said before it comes as a game chip and stores cache and stuff on there temporarily in a variable of the programming for retreival like saving a gamboy/DS game which also saves it into the game itself. Which might limit the number of webpages veiwed to a small number such as 10 before you have to clear the browsing history. (I don't know about the game chip thing I was just suggesting that nintendo might have that idea but i havent heard anything about it.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't have much games for my DS, so I don't play it much ^^

But how can you accidently turn it off :p

The regular DS is perfectly fine for me, I have no need whatsoever to switch :)

Best answers
Only known problem ive known with the DS lite is some people reported having Cracked / cracking hinges on the back (the hinges that allow the top screen to fold down and up)

my friend showed pictures of his like that, but he sent it in and got it repaired / replaced

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
black ds lites.... hmmmm

yeah my school doesnt have those types of locks, its got some open source thing, i know that most schoosl have some type of blocking thing, but my friend tods psp picks up on it fine and theres no block where i live

hmmm.....

reccomend some good games

my list of interests includes:

mario kart ds (is there a difference between that and the mario kart 64 ds?)
the castlevania
advance wars duel strike
megaman zx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom