Nintendo Completely Unveils Revolution Info To All..........

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
..........At there pre E3 press event next may. (Mwaha, tricked you didn't I?)

Anyways, it seems we're gonna have to wait till the next E3 to get all the rev info. Not surprising, I was expecting it to be around then anyways, i'm just glad we have an official date now.

Oh ya, the link! Almost forgot. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140464.html

Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
:cry: That wasn't funny hash!!!...I really thought something was up.
:laff: hahahaha youve just been NintendOwned!!!! but don't take it so hard didn't you see the dots?!?.....

This is cool news actually, although they did promise at of the end of this year, i can wait, and it's better to go all out at E3 with all this 360 hype going around now.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This could be killer. The X-Box 360's launch success, looking from a pure economical stance was arguably built by hype. Hype built by info (specs, games, etc). You can't build hype on reputation alone, especially one that many will suggest is shaky at best.

More so, with PS3 technical info, and an ever-growing list of games that will likely come to air between now and may, the PS3 hype is going to be growing while Nintendo remains to stay quiet until a pre-determined date. Combine this with the fact that PS3 is expected to come out in Spring of 2006. On top of the fact that the X-Box 360 library will probably have grown significantly. By the time Nintendo is revealing details, X-Box 360 will have been out for almost 6 months with a larger game library, and the PS3 will have likely been released. Beyond those solely dedicated to Nintendo that buy everything they develop. They may be shooting themselves in the foot.

Of course, this is all based on speculation and nothing more. Only time, and Nintendo will tell.

[/2 cents]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if the previous xboxs line up of games is anything like the the 360's will be it will uterly fail. i dont see the 360 being a success. it will prolly have a halo like game that keeps it afloat by fanboys that dont know nay better and mabey the madden people. unles the 360 starts pulling in some rpg companys i dont see them being any better than where they were.

btw id like to say that madden players are the most idiotic sounding people. i use to work at a toys r us and we get them all the time calling in "eh yo you got dat madden in yet yo?" that was an actualy quote. other calls reguarding madden games sounded pretty similar.

Best answers
if the previous xboxs line up of games is anything like the the 360's will be it will uterly fail. i dont see the 360 being a success.
I agree with you too a certain extent, but i guess im not going to try and get into that just yet.

Optimus Prime said:
This could be killer. The X-Box 360's launch success, looking from a pure economical stance was arguably built by hype. Hype built by info (specs, games, etc). You can't build hype on reputation alone, especially one that many will suggest is shaky at best.

More so, with PS3 technical info, and an ever-growing list of games that will likely come to air between now and may, the PS3 hype is going to be growing while Nintendo remains to stay quiet until a pre-determined date. Combine this with the fact that PS3 is expected to come out in Spring of 2006. On top of the fact that the X-Box 360 library will probably have grown significantly. By the time Nintendo is revealing details, X-Box 360 will have been out for almost 6 months with a larger game library, and the PS3 will have likely been released. Beyond those solely dedicated to Nintendo that buy everything they develop. They may be shooting themselves in the foot.

Of course, this is all based on speculation and nothing more. Only time, and Nintendo will tell.

[/2 cents]
^_^ I kinda see your point. And with the GC sorta dieing sadly, this dry info about the Rev is not really going to attract those sorts of people who only think the Xbox 360 and PS3 are on the market next year. I guess Nintendo really need to release stuff ASAP, to reasure that they're not stuffing around. Plus the absence of Zelda info doesn't help Nintendo at all.

But, maybe, just maybe I believe nintendo is now experiencing the quiet before a storm-- ya know, like laying low, which means that they will surprise people who don't know much about the revolution, when they unveil it at E3 it will make a bigger impact on everyone there and on the media covering the event, they have already advised thousands of media agencys that they should pencil in a big event for E3 when the revolution is unveiled.

Nintendo states that gamers will only appreciate the revolution by actually fully experiencing it, by playing games, not by watching movies, viewing screenshots, or listening to soundtracks and that other stuff like tossing out specs and numbers, as if that matters anyway, when every game won't even utilize the full power of those certain gaming consoles. Obviously they are relying on the gameplay of the revolution, although i would anticipate good graphics and music as well. But that's where the PS3 comes in for me at. I really do think overall, a massive unloading of facts and details is going to be much more effective than a steady trickling of info over the course of a year either way.

But i guess as you said, only time will tell, and at this point, i honestly don't think the PS3 or N-Revolution will be coming out until the holiday seasons next year. I think it's only fair and it's the smart thing to do, for them too atleast give their consoles a gap of at least 6 months after the full unveiling of their products existence before releasing it. But then again, that might just go for the revolution, i think the PS3 already made their existence known enough, somehow even based on name brand alone.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VivaLaPineapple said:
if the previous xboxs line up of games is anything like the the 360's will be it will uterly fail. i dont see the 360 being a success. it will prolly have a halo like game that keeps it afloat by fanboys that dont know nay better and mabey the madden people. unles the 360 starts pulling in some rpg companys i dont see them being any better than where they were.

btw id like to say that madden players are the most idiotic sounding people. i use to work at a toys r us and we get them all the time calling in "eh yo you got dat madden in yet yo?" that was an actualy quote. other calls reguarding madden games sounded pretty similar.
And this has what to do with Nintendo unveiling their next-gen details at E3? My post was about how by the time Nintendo reveals console details, X-Box 360 will already be establishing itself, and PS3 will just be out*.
*Rumoured.

Your post was nothing but an X-Box 360 / Madden players bashing rant. That is not the purpose of this thread.
--------------------------

I do agree with you Soul Punisher, that unveiling everything all at the same time can be effective, as opposed to a trickling effect of bits and pieces now and then. My argument is that by the time Nintendo does all this, it's too late. PS3 has already done this technically speaking, therefore building hype, and the 360 is already out, and if the $2000 X-Boxes on EBay mean anything, the launch was a success. Now you've got the possibility of the other two, one for sure, competing next-gen consoles already on the market, when you're just releasing specs. Nintendo needs to start building hype now.

It takes a lot more than a console design, and pictures of a controller that many will suggest bares a striking resemblance to an adult sex-toy to build up the kind of hype that the Revolution is going to need to re-establish the dominance Nintendo once had at the top of the console market -- Which I'm assuming is what Nintendo wants out of the Rev.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
VivaLaPineapple said:

If I'm not mistaken, The chrono trigger team is making an RPG for the 360, Blue dragon, and Microsoft has one of the writoers for Final Fantasy working with them as well.

I personally hope Sony and Nintendo rip Microsoft a new one in sales, even though I wouldn't mind a 360 myself (KOTOR :O ) alot of people go around comparing specs and stuff..meh. I really have faith nintendo will upll out a big surprise.

Also, I'm pretty sure Sony isn't done unveiling their bag of tricks, and I personally can't wait to see what they have in store as well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To me this pushes Nintendo out of the next generation console 'war', however I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. As Opty said, both the 360 and the PS3 will be out by the time the specs of the Revolution are released, the weaker of which released early thus getting first dibs on the market of fanboys looking for their console fix, while the more powerful (in this case, most powerful) gets the later release and hopefully a couple of solid release titles to set it on its way.

So where will the Revolution fit into this? Although it's specs haven't been released, the PS3's been touted to be 2x as powerful as the 360, 15x more than the Revolution, and 35x more than the PS2. I know it's probably a biased source considering the site but the PS3 has been hailed as the 'most powerful'. So they don't have specs on their side, or time, god only knows when the console itself will make an appearance on the retail market.

But what if it weren't considered a console itself per sé? What if they sold them cheaper than the other consoles? We already know that it's using different controller technology (similar to the LightGun) and the shape resembles a remote control, and that you'll be able to play all your Nintendo classics right from the NES era, so maybe they'll stop pretending to stay in the next-gen console race and take it in a new direction (or Revolution :p) if you will, because unless they pull something huge out of the hat (and it'll have to be pretty gargantuan) I really don't see how they can possibly stand a chance.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you might be right, Raven. I've heard something similar in Nintendo's keynote speech from last Tokyo Game Show. The guy said Nintendo's trying to do something else and seperate itself further from the other companies by offering different things, at least that's what I got out of it.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmmmmm. I'd say that the Revolution is really going to have to live up to its name. There is going to be some seriously stiff compettition like opty said since the other consoles will def have the lead then. Especially the PS3. I think nintendo can do it. The GC was a good system that lacked in a wide variety of content, but the system itself was good. With the later release, Nintendo will be able to put more engine under the hood so to speak, and give them more time to prepare a strategy that directly targets the compettition. That's the big advantage of being the last to release. However, again, they lose profits for time lost. But the DS is still dominating, so that will keep them afloat right now. If they can deliver a blockbuster system with good content, they might corner the market in some aspects. I think that the top two slotsare up for grabs between the PS3 and the Rev, with the 360 trailing a distant 3rd. But then again, the 360's content isn't all out there yet so technically we don't know whats up for sure.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Ravendust said:
To me this pushes Nintendo out of the next generation console 'war', however I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. As Opty said, both the 360 and the PS3 will be out by the time the specs of the Revolution are released, the weaker of which released early thus getting first dibs on the market of fanboys looking for their console fix, while the more powerful (in this case, most powerful) gets the later release and hopefully a couple of solid release titles to set it on its way.

So where will the Revolution fit into this? Although it's specs haven't been released, the PS3's been touted to be 2x as powerful as the 360, 15x more than the Revolution, and 35x more than the PS2. I know it's probably a biased source considering the site but the PS3 has been hailed as the 'most powerful'. So they don't have specs on their side, or time, god only knows when the console itself will make an appearance on the retail market.

But what if it weren't considered a console itself per sé? What if they sold them cheaper than the other consoles? We already know that it's using different controller technology (similar to the LightGun) and the shape resembles a remote control, and that you'll be able to play all your Nintendo classics right from the NES era, so maybe they'll stop pretending to stay in the next-gen console race and take it in a new direction (or Revolution :p) if you will, because unless they pull something huge out of the hat (and it'll have to be pretty gargantuan) I really don't see how they can possibly stand a chance.
You are right, Nintendo has a lot to give out, but I think they can do it, they do have the advantage of releasing last, this can really be what makes or breaks the company. And whoever was the first to say nintendo isn't trying to put things in the "next gen" sense, I couldn't have said it any better, heh.

I'm really excited about the PS3 though, although I really can't say anything about the specs in comparison to the other (even when one of the system's specs haven't even been released, that's just retarded).

Either way, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will bring out something unique.

And I hope to God the PS3 won't be a 360 made by Sony..I really hope it just won't be a dumbed down PC, like the 360 seems to be (but hell, Perfect Dark Zero, plus the KOTOR titles..a 360 would be freaking sweet, not to mention Blue Dragon coming out), I REALLY want a PS3, and a revolution, with a 360 coming if I have the money reserves after selling my unborn children for the first 2 consoles.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right now I kind of have faith in the Revolution. I honestly don't know why. But I think there is a reason that they are holding back from giving any information.

As for the PS3. It's what I want the most right now. And this is coming from a Nintendo fan. I want both the Revolution and the PS3. The revolution because I like Nintendo (subject to change once they show it at E3) and the PS3 because from what I hear so far, it seems like it's going to be a really good console. I hope. :)

The competition is ON!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If anybody thinks they are holding these specs back for reasons of anticipation or strategy, I'm afraid that I am going to have to strongly disagree.

They had the Revo ready to go at the last E3. When Sony and Microsoft's machines came out I'm pretty sure they saw they had little in the method of selling points versus all of that raw horsepower. They pulled out, left two or three (very CG looking) pictures, and went back to the drawing board. At least, this is my theory.

So theoretically, they will at least be on par with the other machines by the time they finally get around to releasing the damn thing. The operative word, of course, being 'theoretically.'

I still think that this is FAR too long to wait, of course. But the fact that they are going to do so implies that they are sitting on a marked improvement, and also implies that they are going to pull their punches until probably next Christmas--when they can rake in the money, well after everyone else's machine's have been in circulation.

I just see it as the beginnings of another desperate corporate strategy, unfortunately. As was said earlier, with that long of a wait on just the public specs release, I can't imagine how they will ever succeed. Of course being the hottest Xmas gift of 2006 will help them greatly...but not nearly enough to dissuage Sony's massive launch list or the 360's year of circulation.

Confusing strategy. Seems suicidal to me. But then again we all know where I stand, heh.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A bit dissapointing... So far the only hype of the revolution I've heard was from the look and the controller. I have yet to see the a "Super Smash Brother Revolution" screenshot (still waitin for them :().

I remember how much the "Gamecube v.s X Box" theme was whored out (three years ago?). Maybe the fanboys will lose their chance to debate with the spread out release dates.

But I was really hoping to get a Revolution this spring, though now I plan to get a PS3 before the Revolution. Nintendo has been VERY secret regarding the console and it's games, so I am expecting be blown away when I get my hands on it, not by a cheap gimmick either.

Pride's theory makes sense and is interesting, though I hope that's not the case. I defiantly thought they said it would be released spring time, but now only the technology specs will be given (at the END of Spring).

I think Nintendo knows what they are doing, perhaps Ravendust's theory of going beyond that of a "gaming console" is true. These things used to play cartridges that you sometimes had to blow into. Now they are playing the games, CDs, DVDs, Cameras, memory cards, and other forms of Media. I'm sure it won't stop there, so hopefully the wait for the Revolution will be worth it.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nintendo's ploy of trying to appeal to 'Casual Gamers' by 'sticking to the basics' is kind of a flawed theory. Yes, the Revolution might not have things like Tivo, cameras, mp3 playback, a blender...what? But, it's not like these things water-down the PS3 or X-Box's gameplay capability in the least. It's almost as if they're saying "We're focusing on gaming, even though the PS3 and X-Box 360 ALSO focus on gaming with a bunch of nifty gadgets on the side. Not us though, we're sticking with gaming on this one."

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats a bit unfair to say that. It may not water down the gameplay, but it sure as hell increases the price... And if they want to attract new people to gaming, they cannot have the console cost as much as say the xbox 360 does.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Thats a bit unfair to say that. It may not water down the gameplay, but it sure as hell increases the price... And if they want to attract new people to gaming, they cannot have the console cost as much as say the xbox 360 does.
My sentiments exactly. If you're going to make the system an all-in-one entertainment device (a la the PS3), it's going to be pricey. The 360 was $400 here, if I remember correctly (for the decent package, not the "core" package), so I'm going to go with the assumption that the PS3 will be $400+. That's a lot of money to be shelling out for a console, particularly if your interest in gaming is a passing one. The Revolution is, apparently, going to be significantly cheaper than both the 360 and the PS3, so, in that respect, it might just draw in the casual gamer.

That being said, I'm not sure how much in the way of "specs and vids" I need from Nintendo. I already know that the Revolution will present a markedly different form of gameplay (at least, that's what it's supposed to do). I don't really see why graphics should be stressed - they are not the be-all and end-all (though that's my opinion). Really, they just need to show how the thing works, imo.

However, if they are intending to make games more simple/clear-cut, as they were "back in the day" while still advancing things forward, I think that will give them a real shot in the arm. The biggest problem (again, imo) with console gaming these days is that things are just too complex. Making a game very complex doesn't, imo, do much to bring in new gamers. If Nintendo and contributing developers can create some titles that you can just jump right into, while progressing the way you play the games, I think that it would give the new console the boost it needs to do well next year.

[end of Maj's 2-and-one-half cents]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My sentiments exactly. If you're going to make the system an all-in-one entertainment device (a la the PS3), it's going to be pricey. The 360 was $400 here, if I remember correctly (for the decent package, not the "core" package), so I'm going to go with the assumption that the PS3 will be $400+. That's a lot of money to be shelling out for a console, particularly if your interest in gaming is a passing one. The Revolution is, apparently, going to be significantly cheaper than both the 360 and the PS3, so, in that respect, it might just draw in the casual gamer
This is the same old same old, as far as I'm concerned. Nintendo is doing what it has for the last three major console clashes; trying to whittle itself a niche market to avoid being in the competitive one.

Best answers
The 360 was $400 here, if I remember correctly (for the decent package, not the "core" package)
i like how your agreeing with the complaint that all the extra doodads and stuff increase the price, and then you list the price of the package that has a bunch of extra stuff thats more expensive. i bought the core system and it plays games just fine and is 100 dollars chepaer(70$ cheaper if you include the memory card i bought)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom