Nintendo Completely Unveils Revolution Info To All..........

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The core is a ripoff. The $400 dollar package is worth over $500. You're getting your money's worth. Eventually, you're going to by addons that came with the $400 package and its just going to cost you more than if you had bought the good version.

Although I don't have any high hopes for the Revolution, I'm still curious as to what Nintendo is up to. Nintendo isn't the type of company to create a bs product and expect everyone to buy it. I hate their newer systems, but I still want to see how this one turns out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the PS2 is anything to go by (100 million units sold as of yesterday!), specs don't necessarily make or break the console when it comes to competition. The fact that, as Pride said, they'll dominate the 2006 Xmas market (in terms of consoles anyway) plus the E3 pullout clearly suggests they're trying to seperate themselves from the competition. Another couple of strong factors are the characters and games that seem to have carved their niché in the hearts of gamers (Link, Mario, Samus etc) that are almost certainly going to get the Revolution treatment.

As a Playstation fanboy I can honestly say that the Revolution, at face value, looks the most fun of all the consoles because of the controller and the classics catalogue. To the uninformed casual gamer who doesn't care about specs or polies I imagine a similar thing will occur. It'll be the new hot toy with no competition. Written down, this actually makes sense to me from a marketing perspective.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes I really do not want to see the revolution or PS3 exceed the 360's cost, which is almost half a thousand dollars. I do hope, however, they incorporate a DVD player. Takes up less space. I also hope they can sahek off this "kiddy" theme they have been unfortunately given. I think they attempted that with the gamecube by making it black instead of purple :p.

Best answers
I do hope, however, they incorporate a DVD player.
^^ I thought they did, wasn't it suppose to be a add-on or something like that right ?

SaiyanPrideXIX said:
This is the same old same old, as far as I'm concerned. Nintendo is doing what it has for the last three major console clashes; trying to whittle itself a niche market to avoid being in the competitive one.

^_^ Well i feel that their basically just trying to co-exist with the competition rather than compete with it. If they continue to do this, they could possibly and hopefully edge themselves into everyone's living room as say a secondary console, by offering something that the general ps3/360/pc multimedia hub doesn't exactly have. I mean, they already have to make up for lost ground with the gamecube at this point, so why would Nintendo want to be in that war anyway, i mean you can only have so many people trying to offer the same thing right ?

I kinda feel like that they've just carved themselves into a niche that's already existed. Which is more or less the "gaming" niche....yea gaming and pretty much gaming alone.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well that is true, about the secondary console thing. I think there will be a lot more combinations of 'Xbox 360 and Revolution" or "PS3 and Revolution" then of "Xbox 360 and PS3."

You know everyone sees me as a Nintendo hater, but really, I am just disappointed. They can hang with any title that's come up at any point--we KNOW this, we learned it firsthand for years--but they seem content instead to perpetuate stuff to the contrary. It's like they always put their worst foot forward.

To be honest I'd be really happy if they could just bust out with some great stuff this time around. Business practices aside, I am big with video games, and any source of quality gaming--one that produces titles with a degree of integrity in mind rather than profit or penalty--is a welcome addition.

I just hope they put that ****ed up controller to good use. There is no excuse for not having an AWESOME FPS on launch now.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tolore said:
i like how your agreeing with the complaint that all the extra doodads and stuff increase the price, and then you list the price of the package that has a bunch of extra stuff thats more expensive. i bought the core system and it plays games just fine and is 100 dollars chepaer(70$ cheaper if you include the memory card i bought)
To be fair, the 360 was advertised to use wireless controls and to heavily support X-Box Live upon release. The non-core package includes a wireless control and a subscription to X-Box Live. Forgive me, but I think that people are going to, sooner, invest in that package - you get all of your eggs in one basket. Even then, assuming you bought the core package and a memory card, that's $330 (roughly). Add on 14% sales tax, and that brings you up to around $375 - that's still pretty close to $400, and you don't even get a wireless control or that subscription they're also advertising. You'll probably end up investing in those later on. I don't really consider the $400 package to contain extra "doodads and stuff" because it includes features that, in my opinion, were "big points" for the 360. I cannot really say the same for the PS3, since I think the gaming aspect (well, what we've seen of it) speaks more for it than its role as a DVR does. Again, like my original post, that's my opinion. Either way, I heard (and this is far from confirmed, naturally, but it wouldn't be all that surprising if it were true) that the Revolution would be south of $200, so either way you slice it with the 360, the price will still be less for the Revolution, and it may seem more appealing to a casual gamer to invest in it.

SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I just hope they put that ****ed up controller to good use. There is no excuse for not having an AWESOME FPS on launch now.
Agreed, completely. I have my doubts about what the controller will do for some genres (for instance, platformers, such as a Mario game made in a style similar to Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine), but at least we can hold out for a very nifty way to play FPS titles, heh. As my dusty old sig suggests, I cannot wait to take on the role of Samus using this new interface.

Best answers
your gonna have to add that tax to the 400$ one too then making it 456 so its actually 80$ cheaper. as for wireless controllers i don't want or need those really and i'd have to buy more controllers either way(up too 4), Live is the only thing i really miss from the premium put its not like a life time membership though, only a month. The memory card works great for saving, and for backwards compatability i actually have an x box. i don't have an HD tv or plan on getting one anytime soon so those hd cables aren't all that helpful. so all in all the core system + memory guard for me anyway is only worse than the premium because of the free month of xbox live. i'm definently gonna get a revolution though, i'd get it just for the bakwards compatability with all the toehr nintendo systems even if the graphics weren't any better than a game cubes.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
I'd be more worried about the Revolution if I hadn't heard all the arguments against it back before the DS was releaased. If Nintendo could succeed with 'niche' there I don't see why things will be any different for the Revolution.

It all depends on how well the 360 does over the next year. If the titles are that much better than current generation ones then I can see the Revolution having problems. However it's possible that this generation will see more face-lift than advancement, and in that case gamers might be slightly more willing to move towards a hopefully different experience.

So, we'll see.

Best answers
Well Thats why I think they wint with the 'T.V' Remote style controls, So you can play Your Nes, And Snes on one control, Then you pick up the other 'remote ' And then you have the controls that are for the N64 and Game Cube. I am definatly going to invest in this system, as well as an X360. I personally think That nintendo, not allways having the best graphics, but allways having the best Controllers, And best 1 off games. (Like Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Mortal Combat, Zelda, Mario Bro's, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart Need I keep going?).
And when you can get 5 generations of console games in 1 neat package, why not? I think nintendo needs this to work, otherwise they will go the way of the Sega, And now with Sony PSP on the block, the GameBoy is losing its touch, Even though the DS was a revolutionary product with a new idea on controls. Nintendo hasnt placed it in the same range as the 'GameBoy'. Meh, Only time will tell. Hopefully they can stay competitive! Because that helps bring us games, And more price competitive consoles! which only means, more choice and better prices for us consumers!

Best answers
nintendo's products take about an extra YEAR to get to europe, and we get far higher prices.. next!

Best answers
Ah, Engar, excellent point there. Beauty vs Personality. I think the beauty applies most to 360 and PS3, and Revolution will certainly have it's own personality.

For me, Revolution looks like my venue, to be honest. Yes, at heart, I'm a Nintendo Fanboy. However it's also more convenient for me: I only get "pricey" stuff for the holidays. I have other things I need right now besides the Xbox this year, and PS3 is in that part of the year where one goes "... blah..." So Rev looks good for me.

It never occured to me before that Nintendo isn't quite as competitive as it could be, but is instead working towards a "secondary" system. That seems to suit Nintendo perfectly, with their less-aggressive game libraries they're oh so (in)famous for. Nintendo was never big on the whole blood n' guts thing, and with good reason. There fanbase has always been on the younger side... Most of us were under 12 when we first got our hands on it, and even though we're the actual gamer generation, Nintendo still strives to keep that young market they had back in the day.

Microsoft and Sony got into the race much later... when the gamer generation was old enough to accept much more perversion. Nintendo was competing for while with some of the titles found on the N64, but upon the Gamecube, they drew back a bit. The Xbox and Playstation, however, layed it on thick. Their tactics were generally many times more aggressive than Nintendo. Partly because we've never seen anybody this aggressive before.

But that's not really a good thing, because now Microsoft is getting so pushy, they're even releasing their system before it's even had a chance to get all the kinks worked out. Not necessarily a bad thing, because every system has release jitters. They just wanted to get ahead of the game, and while that's not a bad thing, it does sorta leave some spaces unchecked (like the game crashes).

In any event, I have reservations for all consoles.

Nintendo: Smaller library. Some weak content. Good quality, well-developed games all around.
Sony: Larger library. Hundreds of crappy games, with a few gems. Lacking decent development, all-around.
Xbox: Pushy. Their newest system is expensive and is having issues. Games generally full of depth.

I'll be glad to give each system their fair shake, in the end.

Magus, I am SO sigging what you said...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Raistlin_Majere said:
nintendo's products take about an extra YEAR to get to europe, and we get far higher prices.. next!
How the hell? Nintendo is Japanese o.0 Werd.

And not only that. If it's "more expensive" how come when I see book prices they are say (to keep it simple) "$10.00" U.S dollars it's usually "5.00" Euro's? Oh that's right because the euro is a 2:1 ratio (roughly) compared to the U.S dollar.

So I would only assume they would convert. If not, you're getting ripped.

And I couldn't agree more SaiyanPride: If they don't make some kick ass FPS's I'm going to be so pissed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://cube.ign.com/articles/673/673299p1.html

We still don't know all there is to know about Nintendo's new controller.

"There's another secret [about the Revolution controller]," he stated. "But I'm not going to go into that here. That'll be for a later date."

That's the quote Miyamoto gave at Japan's Digital Interactive Entertainment Conference today, the rumor swirling around is that the new secret is Haptic Force Feedback. It's basically a step up from the rumble feature we have in todays controllers. Say you swung a sword into a wall, when the sword clangs against the wall and stops, the controller would also bring itself to a jarring stop, as if you were holding the sword yourself.

Hopefully the new secret is something really cool like that.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While that does sound very cool, I don't know. I don't like the idea of swinging my arms around for hours while I play a game.

I guess we just have to wait and see though.

Best answers
That doesn't seem possible... Or at least not reasonable. It sounds expensive... And impractical.

Best answers
It's basically a step up from the rumble feature we have in todays controllers. Say you swung a sword into a wall, when the sword clangs against the wall and stops, the controller would also bring itself to a jarring stop, as if you were holding the sword yourself.
That sounds pretty cool. But like i said on g-spot forums, i really don't think any freehand controller can have force feedback. If anything, all it can really do is rumble...atleast i think so. You can't really have it, so that when say your sword hits someone elses it seizes up or something, it can only rumble because it is 3d and has no axis. A steering wheel can have force feedback because it has an axis -- on the base it is mounted on, but a wireless controller that resembles a remote can not.

However it may be capable of limited force feedback, for example, it could be like the recoil of a rifle as you fire a bullet, but I severely doubt that as well.

I bet the secret probally has to do with vibration and vibration alone. I can see it now...vibration....combined with the nunchuck attachment, will surely bring in a bunch of female gamers like myself.........for all the wrong reasons though. Just joking, but seriously, i have no idea what it could be, but im sure it"ll be pretty good and something unexpected, just like the controller itself.

I know one thing though, Nintendo must really love keeping it's fans out of their secrecy department-- watching constant speculation, and they do a really good job at keeping everything secured. I really wish they would just come out with it sometimes though.

They could atleast tell us this, if their keeping people waiting until E3 instead of showing everything off at the end of this year like they originally had stated, but oh well, i guess a new age of speculation begins.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hash said:
That's the quote Miyamoto gave at Japan's Digital Interactive Entertainment Conference today, the rumor swirling around is that the new secret is Haptic Force Feedback. It's basically a step up from the rumble feature we have in todays controllers. Say you swung a sword into a wall, when the sword clangs against the wall and stops, the controller would also bring itself to a jarring stop, as if you were holding the sword yourself.
That doesn't seem physically possible. Although if it is, Nintendo may actually be on to a winner after all. I'd probably buy one for that.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
That doesn't seem physically possible. Although if it is, Nintendo may actually be on to a winner after all. I'd probably buy one for that.
I'm with Dust on this one - I don't think it's physically possible to stop a wireless controller from moving. That would require a force being exerted on the control against the direction of motion, and that would imply the generation of a force from outside of the controller. A rumble feature I can understand, even some force feedback, for some things - but halting the controller's motion in mid-air? Well...I'd have to see it to believe it at this point. It would be quite the feature, if it were possible - but I fail to see how it's impractical. It would be immersive, if anything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fail to see the impracticality of it? How many games you think they will have where you do things like swing a weapon with that controller? So far the only Nintendo franchise that really revolves around action Sword play is Zelda and we know they aren't doing anything of the sort for that game. So I think in the sense of it's usefulness, it is very impractical.The controller itself is a very good step in a future direction, and could revolutionize console gaming (if they use it right), but this idea of locking up at certain points of contact in a game seems a little counter-intuitive. "Move the sword however you want...but don't stand near a wall!!" You know what I mean? It's like it will be cutting off the whole point of the freeform 3D capability of the controller. Aside from that, there is the obvious point: how many games can you really utilize a feature like this in, anyhow?

Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
I bet the secret probally has to do with vibration and vibration alone. I can see it now...vibration....combined with the nunchuck attachment, will surely bring in a bunch of female gamers like myself.........for all the wrong reasons though.
Oh, I'm sure nintendo will have enough attachments for the ladies to get interested.... seems like a very expensive "toy," though :p But I wouldn't know anything about how much a regular one would cost, anyway :scared: *ahem*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom