Nintendo being Sued for the Wii-Mote (Copyright Infringment)

What race would you like the character to be?

• Saiyan/Saiya-Jin (ex. Goku, Vegeta)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Half Saiyan/Saiya-Jin (ex. Gohan, Trunks)

• Namek (ex. Piccolo, Nail)

• Changeling (ex. Frieza, Cooler)

• Android (ex. Android 18, Android 16)

• Freak (ex. Cell, Buu)

• Human (ex. Krillen, Tien)

• Completely original race . . . :D

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jealousy? Hell no. It's a business move. Create something, patent it, keep it on the down low, and when someone makes millions off of it, say they stole it from you without asking for permission.

You have to admit, it sounds exactly like the wii controller.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jealousy of what?

This is not jealousy, it's just the latest trend in loser scrub companies trying to make a fast few mill by patenting something they actually had no intention of ever building or using for anything and then suing big game companies for using them in the controllers of this generation.

EDIT: This company's patent was filed in 2005...after the E3 that unveiled this controller, I believe.

"The complaint demands that Nintendo be enjoined and restrained from further infringing on the patent, presumably by taking the Wii off the market. Furthermore, the filing demands that the court order Nintendo to pay Interlink three times the assessed damages, including prejudgment interests and attorney fees. Additionally, the plaintiff is demanding a jury trial of any and all issues pertaining to the case."
That's f'ing brilliant. See what they did? "Not only do you have to give us our 'lost' money, but you have to pay all the millions we're going to spend trying to sue you." Win-win for those filthy money grubbing scumbags...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Three times the amount of damages?

Yeah I know buisness is buisness and it does sound and look like the Wii's controller, but Interlink just seems like an ass right now, no matter how justified they can make their claim.

And is three times the amount even necessary? I don't completely understand how such accusations work, but if this patent was made in 2005, why is it only now they are suing Nintendo?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because Nintendo just released the Wii and is selling Interlink's technology.

Gon

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Heh, I wonder what this is going to do to Nintendo..

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SO lemme get this straight. Nintendo is being sued for creating (and not actually stealing) a similar device as some hole in the wall company in California that nobody's ever heard of? I'm not a supporter of any particular console, but this seems kinda BS to me. I'd agree with the comment that companies are patenting stuff these days with no intention to build just so they can go after companies that they know plan to use similar things. Just another example how suing has become WAY over used in the united states. A lot of times it becomes an actual business strategy as opposed to a method of seeking legitimate redress.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe that in Canada, the courts passed legislation basically saying these patent farms can't sue for copyright infringement, if they can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt they ever had the intention of production, it's rather unfortunate however that it happened after the Blackberry scandal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're being sued for making a pointer with a trigger.

Interlink can go **** itself. They have no chance of winning this.

Best answers
I can imagine the future already...
Wii gets taken off the markets, and everyone who bought a Wii will go into killing frenzy because their consoles are now illegal and there are no new games for it. All previous Interlink employees are now forced to live underground in a fear of seeing previous Wii owner. They will create a underground community and after years they have big enough army to invade the "upper" world....
Its fun making up the story, not so fun if something even close to it actually happens...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Would be pretty hilarious if Nintendo lost, but I highly doubt they will. I'm sure the judge will see it for what it is: a scam, and dismiss the case.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seems interlink might be bigger than I presumed. Whatever though. This is exactly why I've always been in favor of new copyright legislation. Basically, what I'd like is a few new additions, which are basically due to the realities of the internet age and of patent farms.

1. World is fricking huge now. Hueg like XBOX even. (sorry if you guys don't get the joke) It's extremeley difficult to search the world over to see if someone's doing the same thing you are. The accusing company should be expected to prove beyond a certain reasonable standard that a company is actually willfully stealing their idea and violating their patent.

2. The accusing company must be able to prove that they are making legitimate and significant progress towards developing the technology they have a patent on. If they are not, they should be subject to losing their claim to patent and no further company should be allowed to attempt to obtain exclusivity.

3. The two technologies need to be very similar in design and function to avoid the kind of situation we saw between Konami and Andamiro in the case of Dance Dance Revolution vs Pump It Up. Konami basically tried to claim that PIU was simply a rip off of DDR for being a dance game that uses a dance pad (though PIU's sensor design and configuration was quite different). In short, Konami argued that any kind of dance game of any type violated their patent, which was a ridiculous claim, and hence, they got the smackdown in criminal court (though they succeded to some degree in a later civil suit).

Basically, we need laws to prevent companies from stifling other companies' creativity in design in the name of profit.

-Karrde-

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just went to Interlink's site, and now I think this isn't going to be as straight forward as some may have hoped. These guys don't just patent stuff and sit on it for years and years. They develop an idea and then put it to use.

They have a pretty good chance of getting some kind of payment.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
They might get a few bucks out of it, but I highly doubt their scam will get them far.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sony got sued for their controler too right?

It's all about money >_>

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Interlink should just lose, they should have sued Nintendo way before it got released.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah, that would be stupid, they wanted to wait for the release and up untill the Christmas rush was coming to an end when Nintendo's profits on the wii where the highest. Then sue for the money Nintendo made, aka their "lost earnings". It would be stupid for them to sue for something that hasn't even made any money yet. It is about money, but isn't that whole idea of business?

Best answers
Hahaha Nintendo have no chance in loosing. If you think about it...they really can't. They're a huge company and the Nintendo Wii is one of the biggest things this Christmas, I doubt it interlink will go very far. It's all about money, we all want money and that's exactly want interlink wants.

-GuZzie

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your logic is flawless.

I think its because of those very reasons that Nintendo may not win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom