NGE needs you!

nge

Best answers
So, I'm sick of looking and failing when trying to find the last component to my computer, so I'm going to ask you all for help.

I need a socket 478 PCI-E motherboard, such as the Albatron PX915P4C. If anyone could find me a similar board or product, please show me where. I've been looking for ages.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doing a quick search I found some info on the mainboard you mentioned in your post above. Asrock has a simalr product witch you can find some info on here. What are the rest of your system specs & what gfx card are you planning on buyying, or are you sticking with agp now and buyying this for future proofing?.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
Doing a quick search I found some info on the mainboard you mentioned in your post above. Asrock has a simalr product witch you can find some info on here. What are the rest of your system specs & what gfx card are you planning on buyying, or are you sticking with agp now and buyying this for future proofing?.
last component
Apparently the last piece, and if he wants PCI-E, then he obviously has a PCI-E part ready, which then makes getting an AGP+PCI-E board pointless. I'll edit this post when I find a suitable one for you.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
Apparently the last piece, and if he wants PCI-E, then he obviously has a PCI-E part ready, which then makes getting an AGP+PCI-E board pointless. I'll edit this post when I find a suitable one for you.
It would give him the chance though to select between a wider range of gfx cards since most of the new cards today are mostly being released on pc-ie, plus it will save him money on not having to buy a new mainboard that features LGA775 socket chips + a new mainboard, atleast for a while untill an upgrade for his cpu would be needed, only then would be the time to think.

nge

Best answers
well, I have everything already purchased. I was planning on using some old parts from a previous computer of my brothers, but his motherboard was incompatible with my new gfx card.

As of now, I have the following specs.

Radeon ax850xt platinum gfx card,
148.8 Gigs Raptor HD,
Some intel 4 processor, 2.2 gigs going to be OC'd to 2.6,
1.28 gigs DDRAM (Don't know the brand),
And some mobo which isn't PCI-E, leading to the source of all my problems.

That's just the CPU- some facny keyboard, an mx510 mouse, and a 22 inch CRT screen is everything else.

I found that first site a while ago, but it doesn't actually provide a way to purchase it AFAIK, and I can't find one on that second site. Thanks for your help, however.

::EDIT:: Wow posts are fast. Thanks Smith.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
It would give him the chance though to select between a wider range of gfx cards since most of the new cards today are mostly being released on pc-ie, plus it will save him money on not having to buy a new mainboard that features LGA775 socket chips + a new mainboard, atleast for a while untill an upgrade for his cpu would be needed, only then would be the time to think.
Did you just agree with me or... what? AGP is dead for the best of cards, and by throwing in something he won't use won't allow him to select "between a wider range of gfx cards". The board he's looking for exists, it's just being difficult to find.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what is the fsb of your cpu? It could limit your overall pc performance if it's a 400mhz fsb p4.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nge said:
well, I have everything already purchased. I was planning on using some old parts from a previous computer of my brothers, but his motherboard was incompatible with my new gfx card.

As of now, I have the following specs.

Radeon ax850xt platinum gfx card,
148.8 Gigs Raptor HD,
Some intel 4 processor, 2.2 gigs going to be OC'd to 2.6,
1.28 gigs DDRAM (Don't know the brand),
And some mobo which isn't PCI-E, leading to the source of all my problems.

That's just the CPU- some facny keyboard, an mx510 mouse, and a 22 inch CRT screen is everything else.

I found that first site a while ago, but it doesn't actually provide a way to purchase it AFAIK, and I can't find one on that second site. Thanks for your help, however.

::EDIT:: Wow posts are fast. Thanks Smith.
Alright, after a bit of looking around, I've come to the conclusion that you're just not going to find it as it's just not sold in the US and is very limited, to the point of on the endangered species list. You could go for that AGP/PCI-E frankenstein Overlord suggested, but realize that half of it is pointless. Personally, after finding out that you have a 2.2GHz Pentium 4, with a (more than likely) 400MHz (100MHz 'Quadpumped') Front Side Bus, I'd get a newer processor/socket.

nge

Best answers
Well assuming I am unable to find one (likely the case,) any recommendations for a processor/mobo to compliment what I've got?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nge said:
Well assuming I am unable to find one (likely the case,) any recommendations for a processor/mobo to compliment what I've got?
How much money do you have to spend?

nge

Best answers
lets try to keep it moderate, I suppose. I'd appreciate ideas from all over the price-ranges, but lets say from $300-$500.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds excellent. Would you like to switch to AMD or keep to Intel? From personal experience, either would be good; but if you're into gaming, AMD can pump out a few more frames per second and be slightly cheaper at the same time.

nge

Best answers
Well, I can safely assume you know more on these things than I do :p So whichever you recommend, I'll go with. Pumping out more FPS at a lower cost sounds pretty nice to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here are a few specs that could fit into your price range:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $126.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail $166 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

You could get a better cpu, but you'll also need to make a pc-ie gfx card apart of the price if you already don't have one.

EDIT: looks like smith beat me to it.

As always. ~Smith|
[sarcasam]NEVER!!!!!! ~Overlord[/sarcasam]

nge

Best answers
Well, I plan on sticking to one card; it's very powerful stand alone.

What's this I hear about Dual core processors not working correctly with HL, though? I'm not too sure about them, but I know they've got tremendous power, even more so when OC'd.

I can probably OC this one up to 2.4 (4.8) but I'd like to know your opinion on their reliability first.

Thanks for your help so far, both of you.

::EDIT::

I've been reading reviews, and all of them claim this isn't too great for gamers. For example-
"Cons: THIS IS NOT FOR GAMERS! I do a lot of gaming myself as well, but I do not know of a single game that takes advantage of dual-core. If anything, it will only cause problems. While playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted, I HAD to set the affinity to only one core, otherwise it would not play. Other games (CS:Source, Quake 4), I noticed a significant framerate increase when affinity was set to only one core."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nge said:
Well, I plan on sticking to one card; it's very powerful stand alone.

What's this I hear about Dual core processors not working correctly with HL, though? I'm not too sure about them, but I know they've got tremendous power, even more so when OC'd.

I can probably OC this one up to 2.4 (4.8) but I'd like to know your opinion on their reliability first.

Thanks for your help so far, both of you.
The issue with HL is correctable through a patch or through setting processor affinity. Their reliability is tremendous and they are great processors, not to mention the huge benefits with multi-threaded games.

I'll be back in a few hours. Glad I could help, NGE. Least I could do for pwning you in NS when I was good =P!

nge

Best answers
Awesome, I've got to go myself. We'll resume this later I should hope; I'll be around hopefully before midnight.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just remeber that you'll have to get the dual core hotfix & go to amd's site and get the dual core patch too.

Best answers
Dude, i have the exact same motherboard, The Albatron PX915P4C Pro. It kicks ass man, i would definately get it. Im running great parts on it right now, except for the Graphics card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom