New Zealand Gov. trying to take away their right to grow food.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Joe," they write,"we want to alarm you because you are a leading back-garden producer of horticultural material. [Thank you. Have you seen the size of my strawberries? They're two to a wheelbarrow.] What we want to alarm you about is the proposed Food Bill. The Government is trying to sneak it through while everyone's drunk over Christmas. They must be stopped.
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill...search=ts_bill_food+bill_resel&p=1#DLM2996870
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...6237818/Food-Bill-enough-to-turn-your-stomach

So a few friends from down under bought this to my attention...this is pretty ****ed up. You basically cannot grow your own food...because it doesn't make the Government any money...

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What is this I don't even...

Seriously, the government around the world are on some really moronic spree here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mkilbride: How about you actually read the goddamned thing you link us for a change, and provide us with references in the legal document that backs up the claim? The article doesn't even mention the parts of the bill that would do this, and basically pulls a Jinx and tells us to "serch 4 urselfs"...

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah scary considering its like not even 100km from where i live :O (200km) maybe
Are you high?
200km From QLD to NZ?
That's Brisbane to Gympie, It's more like 2000 - 3000km

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He lives in a pineapple under the sea.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Adelaide, was born in Whyalla which is about 4 hours from here

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sounds like instead of growing underground weed farms, we need to start growing underground cucumber farms.

Also same applies to america:

Woman Faces Jail Time For Growing Vegetable Garden in Her Own Front Lawn

[...]Julie Bass faces the prospect of going to jail for what she's growing in her front yard.

The illegal growth is tomatos. And zuchinis, peppers and other edible and what normally would be legal plants.

The officials in Bass' hometown of Oak Park, Mich., have charged her with growing "vegetable garden in front yard space." If convicted, she could spend up to 93 days in jail.

Bass said that the criminal charge "blew my mind." "Sometimes we laugh because it seems so silly and sometimes we cry because it's so pathetic. A lot of times it does not seem real," she told ABCNews.com.

Bass has insisted on a jury trial and a pre-trial hearing is set for July 26. If the case goes to court Radner does not believe that a jury will convict his client of a crime.

"Michelle Obama plants vegetables on White House front lawn. I don't think the jury is going to think that it's suitable for the White House, but it's not suitable for Oak Park," said Bass' attorney Solomon Radner.

The first lady's office, which is encouraging growing fresh vegetables to help fight childhood obesity, declined to comment on the Oak Park vegetable case.

Bass got the idea to plant a garden in front yard after it was torn up over a busted sewage pipe.

"There were piles of dirt outside and we knew we had to do something," Bass said. "We looked into putting in sod but it was shockingly expensive, so we starting looking into other books to do something a little more cost effective. We found pictures in a bunch of different library books of garden beds. It was perfect and we had a blank canvas."

Front Yard Vegetable Garden Called a Crime[...]

full article:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-...l-charges-oak-park-michigan/story?id=14047214

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It has nothing to do with the vegetables. It's because it doesn't look like all the other houses. They have rules for that kind of thing in some states and counties. She also would have had this problem if she put up sixty garden gnomes.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It has nothing to do with the vegetables. It's because it doesn't look like all the other houses. They have rules for that kind of thing in some states and counties. She also would have had this problem if she put up sixty garden gnomes.
Thats absurd. Such laws are dictatorial. I can understand having the house surrounded by a scrap pile, but a garden. Thats just dictatorial.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, that's suburbia and upper middle class people. It has very little to do with the government. This can be pinned on snobbery alone.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Generally, before you're able to live in those kinds of areas, you have to sign a contract that outlines what can't be done on that property. If you sign it, you can't really argue against anything they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom