New System

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I just blew 4k on my new system. However, I have it working (Sort of) and there's a problem with my twin Geforce 7800s. I go in game (Call of Duty 2) and I have every setting maxed out (Runs it like a dream), but after a few minutes, the video card will start artifacting, and annoying the crap out of me. I was wondering if there was some compatability issue with Windows, or maybe some Nvidia setting that I need to turn down. Here are my full specs if it'll help:

Mainboard: Nvidia nForce 4
Video card: Twin Geforce 7800 GTX
RAM: DDR 400 (2 GB)
Processor: Dual Intel Pentium 4 w/ IEE

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like a heat problem, which is believable considering the fact that two very hot cards are basically sandwiched onto one another. To make sure, let's download a nice program called Rivatuner (Which can be nabbed at guru3d.com), which can measure your temperatures while you play. Once it's downloaded, click the Low-Level Settings, and then click the icon that looks like a magnifying glass ontop of the film. Then, start your game and once it starts to artifact, look at the highest temperatures the two cards had.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, what's the airflow like in your case? how many case fans do you have? Are you using the latest drivers (it could be a driver bug)? Do you have the "optimize for sli" option turned on in COD2 ?.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
As Smith said ,its a heat problem.

It is pretty common, with SLi setup, that the top card is getting too hot.

You could buy 2 NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3(Rev 3 is suited for the 7800 series), cool alot better, they blow the hot air out of your case and also make less noise then the stock coolers.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, my brother suggested a water cooling system. So I went and nabbed one of those. Waiting to see if it works. And yes, I have it optimized for SLI. And I have 2 case fans (Stock).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Water coolnig could be going a bit far for someone like you, what if something from the water cooling system brakes? (ohnoes water leakege on my computer, dead!). If you could fit another two case fans in your case you should notice a difference in temps, depending where abouts the case fans would be put (are both your current fans in the front or back of your pc?).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One is in the side, and one is directly opposite it.

EDIT: But I installed the water cooling system, as well as turning down my overclocking, and now it seems to run smoothly. Better than before, in fact.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What part did you oc (gfx cards or your cpu/memory?). To keep it more stable you could try to rasie the vcore a little if it's your cpu if you want to go back to those speeds (or rasie the memory voltage, but I don't really suggest you don't mess with the memory unless you feel like you can do it, but do it at your own risk).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
What part did you oc (gfx cards or your cpu/memory?). To keep it more stable you could try to rasie the vcore a little if it's your cpu if you want to go back to those speeds (or rasie the memory voltage, but I don't really suggest you don't mess with the memory unless you feel like you can do it, but do it at your own risk).
VCore, memory lore, mhz, lolipop, gumdrop, problem solved, closed!

If he had to get watercooling to prevent a problem, don't offer him methods of getting that problem back. VCore = voltage, fyi, which = heat. Not to mention it wasn't his CPU that was the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom