new street fighter movie how dumb

Best answers
word on the street is an asian person isn't even going to be playing chun-li if you check other forums you will see chinese people getting super angry about it i think this movie is going to fail i seen the first street fighter and that was trash lol

After getting into the movie business in 1994 with Street Fighter: The Movie, a $35 million production starring Jean Claude Van Damme and Raul Julia that was completely funded by Capcom, the Japanese game publisher exited the movie industry. Street Fighter earned only $33 million in the U.S., although it did go on to gross another $66 million overseas. The film was panned by film critics and gamers alike.

Capcom then enlisted its popular Resident Evil franchise to Impact Pictures in 2001. The collaboration was funded by Sony Pictures and the $33 million movie, released in 2002, went on to earn $40 million in the U.S. and an additional $62 million overseas. That opened up the second most successful franchise for Sony Pictures behind Spider-Man. Resident Evil: Apocalypse, at a budget of $45 million, took home $129 million in global box office, paving the way for Resident Evil: Afterlife, which is slated to open September 2007.

With the success of Resident Evil and the 20th Anniversary of the Street Fighter game approaching in 2008, Capcom has decided to partner with Hyde Park Entertainment on a new Street Fighter film franchise. It's part of a multi-platform approach that will see new games, the film, a potential TV series and other Street Fighter entities being released in 2008.

Charles Bellfield, the new head of marketing at Capcom (whom we interviewed recently about the closure of Clover Studios), took some time out of his busy schedule to talk about Street Fighter and the convergence of Hollywood and videogames.

GameDaily BIZ: How is the new Street Fighter film different from what Capcom did back in 1994?

Charles Bellfield: What we're announcing here is a movie based around a character, so it gives more story line than the actual movie project in the past which was a general Street Fighter franchise. This is a far more character-based and story-based film that we're working with Hyde Park in developing. Chung Li is one of the main characters and she's one of the most popular characters in the U.S. and also appeals to the Western audience. Going forward, largely because of the reputation of videogames going to movies, having a more direct input into the creation of the movie experience is important in managing Capcom's brands. We want to build a strong franchise successful in a different medium like movies, rather than just handing over our IP to other people to develop movie franchises.

BIZ: That's a different approach than Capcom has taken with its successful Resident Evil franchise, which has had films licensed by Impact Pictures and funded by Sony Pictures.

CB: Yes and no. Impact Pictures has had close collaboration with Capcom on Resident Evil. It's an interesting model as a whole in the debate of videogames and movies. How many people actually bridged this transition? I think you can say the first Tomb Raider movie did, whether the second one did is up to debate, and whether anyone else has done it in the meantime is questionable at best. Capcom does see itself as different from its competitors in terms of being heavily involved in each of its franchises when they go to the big screen or the small screen. Resident Evil was a collaboration from both sides. I think this is a further extension, as we have a closer relationship with the production company, Hyde Park Entertainment.

BIZ: What role will Capcom play in this new deal with Hyde Park Entertainment?

CB: Capcom, as a joint-venture, will help create, produce and fund the movie. We don't want to hand over the IPs to an independent producer or production company. This is all about keeping the Street Fighter franchise true and authentic to the core consumer, but leveraging the understanding that this is a different medium and we do need other partners on board to deliver to this medium. We do want to be active partners involved from the beginning of the conception of the idea to the marketing of the final product.

BIZ: Given the 20th Anniversary of the Street Fighter game is approaching, will we see other Hollywood Street Fighter entities?

CB: We have a number of relationships going forward with the Street Fighter franchise and this is the first one that we've announced. Our relationship with Hyde Park is about film production and distribution.

BIZ: With the focus on Chung Li for this film, do you foresee a film franchise that will focus on different characters moving forward?

CB: This is the introduction of different films. The fact that the first one is based on Chung Li gives you an indication of the direction we're going. It's more specific to character and storyline rather than a nebulous plot. It's actually making it far more relevant to the story line and characters in the game, as well. Capcom is not about licensing out IP to get the best it can out of the movie industry. We're about building our brands. Street Fighter is one of our major brands. And although we haven't talked about any new Street Fighter games going forward, it is a major brand for us.

BIZ: The original Street Fighter: The Movie spawned games featuring the digital likenesses of Jean Claude Van Damme and Raul Julia. Will we see new games based on this film?

CB: I can confirm that we have a multi-format strategy for Street Fighter, what, when, how and why we're not talking about. Anniversaries for key franchises are important milestones in the game industry. We have a 20th Anniversary of Street Fighter in 2008 and we'll be developing a number of properties around that for the anniversary.

BIZ: Will Capcom enter into similar joint-venture production partnerships with Hollywood companies for other game films?

CB: I think we want to remain authentic and ensure that any execution on the big screen is authentic to the brand itself. It depends on the partners we're talking too... the production companies negotiating with us on the different franchises... and the creative talent brought in for each project. Whether it's a joint venture funded by us or a production company that totally understands the nuances of the brand and how to bring it to the big screen will be different for each franchise. What will remain common is a desire to remain authentic to the brands, whether it's a videogame, TV series or major motion picture.

BIZ: Do you have any idea what kind of budget the new Street Fighter film will have?

CB: Whatever's appropriate for the type of movie jointly developed by Capcom and Hyde Park. Is this a direct-to-DVD movie? Certainly not. Is this going to be one of the Top 5 blockbusters of 2008? Probably not. I think it's somewhere between the two, delivering the right experience with the right talent involved, which won't mean a $200 million production. I think we'll do what's best for the franchise. I've got the script and I've already read it. It's a character-based story in the Street Fighter franchise. The budget is being worked on and finalized and it will see the light of day in 2008.

BIZ: Will the new Street Fighter movie borrow any of the elements that the Resident Evil films did in turning a popular game into a successful film franchise?

CB: The Resident Evil franchise in movie theaters has done an extremely good job of being authentic to the brand, particularly the first movie. The second movie, which in many ways borrowed more elements from the game, was the number one movie in the U.S. when it opened, so it does find its core audience out there. That's why the third film was made.

BIZ: Thanks for your time.

Best answers
this movie is going to be made for the lose

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Game movies and Movie Games never work out well. Prepare for something either horrible or mediocre ^^.

I was never a fan of the Street Fighter series so I doubt I'll see this if it even if it makes it to the UK. However if reviews say otherwise I might take my chances.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're better off making a film based on BioShock. At least that has a story. There's nothing to work with here. Street Fighter hardly has a fanbase anymore. And whatever fans are left, probably don't care for a film. What a waste of money. Use $30 million, and earn it back. Or maybe not. What's the point? Poor, Poor Man's Dragonball.

Last edited:
Best answers
They're better off making a film based on BioShock. At least that has a story. There's nothing to work with here. Street Fighter hardly has a fanbase anymore. And whatever fans are left, probably don't care for a film. What a waste of money. Use $30 million, and earn it back. Or maybe not. What's the point? Poor, Poor Man's Dragonball.
they are making a Bioshock movie thats planned for release in 2010 the director is Gore Verbinski. but about a Street fighter movie the only decent one was the anime movie in the early 90s

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard that Naruto is stronger than Goku?

Ontopic: It's probably going to be good.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
street fighter has quite an extensive story that goes along with it.

it was made into a manga quite a few years ago, and faired well. it has an actually really cool story. way better than DBZ's.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let's drop the dbz vs streetfighter business.

Anyway, I do have hopes for this one. We've been doing good with comic to movie adaptations lately, so perhaps this will be along the same lines. And come on, the first one, while horrible, was at least fun to watch.

Best answers
MGS4 is a movie so it doesnt need one so hush Snake and get back to hiding in bushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom