New Playstation 3/Entertainment-Focused

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According to reports from the tech website known as Engadget, an audio/video-centric PlayStation 3 is in the works. This new device will be powered by the Cell processor and will focus on being a living-room set-top box, with audio and video playback as its primary function; gaming will be the unit's secondary use. This device will be even more expensive than the $600 PlayStation 3. Some believe it may cost as much as $2,500.

The device will supposedly have twice the main memory of the current PS3 and have two HDMI outputs. No name has been announced for the system and no further details about its abilities have been revealed either. This reminds us a lot of the PSX, a PlayStation 2 with built-in digital video recorder abilities. The system also had up to a 250GB hard drive, played PS2 games, and was much more expensive than a standard PS2. It was never released here in the States, and there's a good chance this new "AV-centric" PS3 may follow suit.
Source: http://ps3.gamespy.com/articles/751/751890p1.html

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if its audio video centric why is this in the video game section

and what positive discussion is this going to provoke?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
None.

I'm convinced they only put this stuff here to bust my balls. Especially after my last post regarding blu-ray and how it was good for gaming.

The PSX, heh, I doubt it ever existed anyway. A 250 gb DV-capable PS2 in the time frame of the PS2's lifespan is completely ridiculous...especially considering that it allegedly had features the PS3 doesn't have even today. 250 gig drives only became standard for computers this year...even then they are still considered "the higher end of the spectrum."

Best answers
Uh, I don't know about you two, but I see this as an open discussion about a more media-centered PS3. There was nothing that I saw that could be considered provocation.
ZeoNightmare said:
if its audio video centric why is this in the video game section

and what positive discussion is this going to provoke?
Because it's a PS3.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't get it. It will still play PS3 games, only this version of it will cost much more and do some more things, mainly focused around audio? Sounds like the opposite of the core pack.

To me, this seems like a bad idea. A really bad idea.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really see the point either. I mean, people aren't going to buy a PS3 for the multimedia possibilities first and the gaming function second.

Oh well. Not like it affects me anyway.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually there are a lot of people who want to buy it just as a home theater alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom