New Planet Discovered, "Earth's Bigger Cousin"

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/large_rocky_planet.html?1362005

We've finally found a extrasolar terrestrial planet, just when people thought all we were going to keep finding were more "hot Jupiters."

This bugger is 7.5x Earth's mass, twice the diameter, and has a two day long year.

It's good that we're finding more and more planets. It's pretty interesting that 20 years ago, the only planets we knew existed were the ones in our own Solar System. Now we know of over 100.

Before anyone gets a fire in their pants, it's pretty much ruled out that life as we know it could exist on this planet, as the temperatures are way too high. It's pretty close to its star - 1/50 the distance that we are from Sol. That explains its short orbital period, too. The more planets like this we discover, though, the better the chances we have of finding out whether or not we truly are alone in the Universe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well they can't go on teh "temperature way to high thing" if life want's to live, it'll live *evolution* in it's own prime.

Who knows, there might be life there that can withstand that kind of heat. new minerals and substance that isn't composed on earth... we never know

Best answers
wooh...so now Hell has a planet =O
Soon with teh technology we will be suprem rullerz of the planets

NOT!! =P

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
interesting , if there is any chance of life on this planet though , it must be mutated. I'm no expert on space mapping of geography but is it possible to reach this planet , or is it way to far away for a rocket or something to even reach it ? I wonder if this planet has any artifacts that can hold any key to discovery. Now don't go "UR AN IDIOT JOO STUPID MORON , U N00B" like someone i won't mension did in another thread , but if i am correct , nasa has gotten probes to beam back stuff before long after there planned mission of use and has taken pictures of parts of the solar system that is by all means by humans to reach

if technology does advance rapidly we may be able to overcome that , but it would have to be "rapid"

i can only wonder the possibilties of what this planet may hold and whether our species will ever set foot on it in the next 100years or so

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i know what you're talking about... the hubble(sp) telescope right?

anywayz, distance is time... so liek they say... a star can blow up 15 years ago, and we wouldn't see it with our nekkid eyes till today.

but it would be hard to reach another light year in a short period of time since we lack the ability... but, there are other forms of life and there's proof on earth taht shows that. *cough* the pyramid *cough*

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Many stars we see in the sky have already gone out. Kind of interesting to think about--how many civilizations have risen and fallen in the time it's taken for the light to reach us?

Best answers
Yeah, I never really did like thinking about that... It's like every time we look into the sky, all we see is the past...... Which is scarey, and only proves how limited humans are, in spite of this new discovery.

I've got my money the War of the Worlds theory.... So nyeh!

Randy, NASA isn't going to "beam" anything... It's already proven that transporters will never exist.

Furthermore, didn't Einstein already prove that would be impossible for us to travel at the speed of light?

I still say we were a cosmic eff up... We weren't meant to be, I don't believe. If there's life out there? That's nice, and they'll probably gonna find them in about 4 or 5 centuries... How does that affect me NOW?

I'd like to say I think we should be focusing our efforts on cleaning up our CURRENT planet, rather than wasting time and money looking for other ones that we'll never get to en masse, but Gaia is already screwed over a thousand times.... Oh well, I'll die before any of this matters. I'm happy.

Best answers
Randy....nothing can survive 200º-400º Celsius
anywayz I was looking at the photo and saw something weird

and here it is with a little brightness

those lines or what ever they are look like the ghost's from Final Fantasy 8th spirit

Best answers
Aliens are gonna come and destroy us all.

In regards to 200-400 degrees C... There could be other life forms that take the heat!!!

And you know what those lines look like.... They look like..... get this...... o_o

CRACKS IN THE SURFACE!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
... Wait, why is this weird?

Best answers
they don;t look like crackz to me...looks more like something out of the planet :p
maybe it is something special....if joo look in theright of the planet where those things are...joo can see a "Y" :O.......find more planets and joo have a word =D

I know I am acting kinda weird :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The photograph is an artist illustration, not an actual photograph of the planet itself.

The planet is 15 light years away. Meaning that, if we could travel at the speed of light, it would take us fifteen years to reach it. However, we can't even travel at 1% the speed of light, and it doesn't look like we'll even be able to in the near future. Faster means of travel seems to fall into the court of antimatter engines (I'm not talking Star Trek here), but that's a conversation for another time. Just think about how strange it would be for a moment, though. In reality, time is nothing more than an illusion caused by light reaching us. Depending on how fast you're moving, that light is going to reach you at different times. If you were to move at exactly the speed of light (and not having your body mass undergo the terrible changes that are hypothesized), and look down at Earth from space, you'd see no movement. It would look as though time has stopped. Why? Because you're moving with the frames of light that reached you at the point you accelerated to the speed of light. If you go faster still, and accelerate faster than the speed of light, you're going to begin reaching frames of light that you saw previously. Time would appear to be going in reverse! This is all hypothetical of course, since it's stated that as any object with mass approaches the speed of light, it's mass increases, and thus becomes harder to accelerate. If you were to travel at the speed of light, you would also have infinate mass, or have no mass whatsoever.

You're correct in saying that there *could* be life on the planet, but there could also be life near the core of Juptier. The latter is probably more likely, and there's almost no chance of it being true. If life (not even intelligent life) were to evolve there, it would be tremendously different from anything we would probably even recognize as life.

I'll kill this rant here for now... man this stuff is fun, eh?

EDIT: I couldn't find this at the time of this post, but now I did. It's a video project a German student made showing what one would expect to see if they rode their bike through a city at speeds approaching the speed of light.

http://www.spacetimetravel.org/tuebingen/tue0.html

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
EVIL_GOKU said:
Randy....nothing can survive 200º-400º Celsius
anywayz I was looking at the photo and saw something weird

and here it is with a little brightness

those lines or what ever they are look like the ghost's from Final Fantasy 8th spirit
i didn't exactly know the heat readings. I'm not into science that much , i know what i know though , like samon casues memory loss (if eaten alot just one example , can't think of any space related science exp though

anything known to us , who know , i would like to be skeptical about this. Maybe there is something out in that system somewhere that can withstand heat , call me insane if you want , but sometimes think of all the possiblities , not all our math eqasions systems can be correct , theres probably a question that could be unanswered in the system somewhere that people may not be able to know about

after all , all we know about does have limitations to some extent

I would say that would be lava or something from those images

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have trouble believing that our telescopes are THAT good.

But yea. This is certainly an interesting development.

And it is perfectly possible that some form of life is possible on that world. Not sure what, and it would sure as hell be alien to us, but the aliens you see on Star Trek, and most other sci fi things are incredibily unrealistic imo. But who am I to say anything on the matter. Right? Eh..whatever.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
Before anyone gets a fire in their pants, it's pretty much ruled out that life as we know it could exist on this planet, as the temperatures are way too high. It's pretty close to its star - 1/50 the distance that we are from Sol. That explains its short orbital period, too. The more planets like this we discover, though, the better the chances we have of finding out whether or not we truly are alone in the Universe.
sigh...how the hell do scientists know that there is possibly no life.....they cant know if life on that planet adepted to extreme heath...maybe the heath they feel on that planet (that is, if there is life) feels like a cold storm to them...
They really need to stop comparing our lifestyle to possible other life....i mean....they dont say that people cant swim at 500 meters deep in the water, so that must mean other things cant live there either...because we cant stand 400 degrees Celsius doesnt mean other things/aliens/species/whatever cant stand it either

That brings up another thing...does anyone think that there is other life on other planets? i actually do, i cant believe we are the only species to live in a enormous galaxy...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also think that there are more liveforms outta there.
They probarly thinking about that too, if there are other liveforms.
They are 100% other liveforms they just evolved probarly under diff. enviroment.
And may look diff. too.

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
DragonDude said:
You're correct in saying that there *could* be life on the planet, but there could also be life near the core of Juptier. The latter is probably more likely, and there's almost no chance of it being true. If life (not even intelligent life) were to evolve there, it would be tremendously different from anything we would probably even recognize as life.
He said there *could* be life there. He also said there couldnt be life AS WE KNOW IT :rolleyes:
But like he did say it would be much different from life here. Maybe even different from our definition of life. If there where living things there they may not do things like reproduce, grow or other stuff like that.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RandyHobo said:
i know what i know though , like samon casues memory loss (if eaten alot just one example , can't think of any space related science exp though)
Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which helps prevent memory loss. You may want to double check your facts.

Anyways, as people have said, as well as the article, that picture is just an artist's illustration. It's not an actual photograph taken with a telescope. It's still pretty cool to know that we're constantly finding new planets. And as science and technology keep improving, we're bound to find more.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im gonna dissagree with your point about it being too hot to sustain life.

just because WE are carbon based and cant maintain such temperatures, doesnt mean that other species within the universe are built the same way.

Best answers
Hence my original point and dispute with Evil Goku. There's always the "what if" factor to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom