New Monitor

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been in the market for a new monitor to replace my 19" flatscreen CRT.

I've looked around and come back to this one several times:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2467

But it's kind of expensive. Usually anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500. But I was looking around on NewEgg, and found one for $815 with $1 3-Day Shipping.

It was probably impulsive, but I bought it. I was kind of wary to buy a non-HDCP monitor, but the more I read about it the farther it seems off--and people always find a way around DRM.

It's got component video input, so I'll be able to play my games in progressive scan, which is always a plus. The native resolution is 1920 x 1200, so I'll be straining my video card while plays that high.. or scale it down. @_@

Anybody else been in the market for a higher-end monitor, or have experience with them?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I wouldn't bother purchasing a new screen if I had a 19inch flat screen CRT screen. You could always get a nice 24inch or 30inch flat panel from dell :'). The 24inch screen according to this link is priced at $999. Dell seem to be pricing there 30inch screens for prices a bit over two grand.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, the clunker I'm using now is nice, but it weighs like sixty pounds and takes up 70% of the desk. Plus, I can use it as my TV with RCA/component/s-video input, so I'll save even more room.

I would've considered that screen you linked to, but it doesn't list any information about response time, it'd take 3-5 weeks to ship and cost money to ship, rather than the $1 3-day shippong of the one I bought.

Plus, Anandtech tried out the set with games and movies, didn't suffer from any ghosting/washing out like some do. But I have heard good things about Dell's LCDs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Well, the clunker I'm using now is nice, but it weighs like sixty pounds and takes up 70% of the desk. Plus, I can use it as my TV with RCA/component/s-video input, so I'll save even more room.

I would've considered that screen you linked to, but it doesn't list any information about response time, it'd take 3-5 weeks to ship and cost money to ship, rather than the $1 3-day shippong of the one I bought.

Plus, Anandtech tried out the set with games and movies, didn't suffer from any ghosting/washing out like some do. But I have heard good things about Dell's LCDs.
Either 12 or 16ms, afaik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom