New Mode suggestion

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I have some random game mode idea i thought of. For this one, it would work like this. Everyone spawns alive, and its deathmatch style, and when you die, you stay dead, until the last one alive is the winner.

Maybe to balance it out, you can have alot more hp, and can transform faster. Ill try and think of other ideas when i come up with them. I think it would be fun, having these huge crazy battles, and finally being able to kill someone. It just seems way to easy to die in esf, and people die many times in one match, so this one is a different way of playing the game. Maybe certain characters will have more hp then the others, etc.

Best answers
But.. esf is meant to be a fast pasted game. So.. this idea would basically be as slow as CS wouldn't it? Or am I reading it wrong?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Im not asking to change esf, just add a new game mode like that if it can work out. And it would still be fast when you play, same as it is now. To keep people from waiting to long, you can transform faster too. And when the last person alive wins, everyone spawns back and plays the same thing again.

ReMember
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It would take even more time to transform into ssj and i agree with kenny83, esf is meant to be played fast no one likes to wait until a match is over which can take some time if the players are good

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Transformations could occur faster because everyone levels up faster, which means they are stronger and can kill each other within a short amount of time. And the game would still be played "fast", nothing changes to the gameplay really, maybe more hp. Dying to one little kamehameha over and over is not always fun. Instead it would hurt you in the long run, throughout the fight.

It just so easy to die right now, and having these characters that can within stand alot before they go down would be fun.

nge

Best answers
That's an integral part of ESF. Dieing can occour REAL fast if you're not careful, yet you'll notice fights between higher skilled players of close skill fights still tend to last quite a while. You'll also notice that a really good player in a typical pub will often walk away with 3-5 deaths and over 100 kills for a reason.

This mode sounds like it will just encourage spamming as much as possible- it's not just 1 kill, it keeps them out the rest of the round.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
nge said:
yet you'll notice fights between higher skilled players of close skill fights still tend to last quite a while. You'll also notice that a really good player in a typical pub will often walk away with 3-5 deaths and over 100 kills for a reason.
seconded for truth

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont mind this mode, its actually round based games.. of course there would be ffa and team deathmatch, but this mode i think would also be attracted to members of the community.. i for one wouldn't mind watching one player from my team squaring off another player from another team in this crazy ass battle.. if you dont like the mode then join a FFA server

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you ask me this could be perfectly implented with teh CTDB mode.

More health and you can wish your teammates back to life with full health. Would actualy count for something :p

ReMember
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You could get one dragonball everytime you are the last man alive, win it 7 times and you can call the dragon.

I agree with Grega since CTDB needs improving not just by making it work.

It needs something new.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm, this idea makes sence, since in the story battles lasted a few episodes, so it would be like the real thing, closer to he story, like if this gets added, then ssj 3 can have like 1000hp or something.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ROFL

with 120 HP fights can last over 5 minutes

with 1000HP theyd be about 50 minutes long.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
hmm , maybe this would be a good idea for capture the dragon ball mode. Right now its not very popular to play on, and this could be the answer it needs. Being able to wish your friends back to life after they died would be nice ( maybe a limit of one time to balance) , and will give players more incentive to search for the balls. I still like the idea of having round based play, where you have to kill off the opponents only once. Maybe a time limit would work if it lasts a while. Battles shouldnt last too long if every one levels up faster, dont forget.

ReMember
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
NEW CTDB MODE

--> Kill the oponent team
--> No respawn unless you use a wish
--> Use Dragonballs to make you more powerfull and rezz team mates
--> Get sensu beans fixed on 1.3 and heal your team mates and yourself
--> The match lasts until one of the teams is fully killed
--> play a more team based mode of esf where you can catch dragonballs

Wishes : Rezz # number of team mates (cant be 2 many or 2 little)
Get your team a 100.000 pl boost (for example)
Give you a extra life

Plz say what you think!

Wat

Best answers
GoldenBlade said:
New game mode --> Kill the oponent team --> No respawn unless you use a wish --> Use Dragonballs to make you more powerfull and rezz team mates --> Get sensu beans fixed on 1.3 and heal your team mates and yourself --> The match lasts until one of the teams is fully killed --> play a more team based mode of esf where you can catch dragonballs

Wishes : Rezz # number of team mates (cant be 2 many or 2 little)
Get your team a 100.000 pl boost (for example)
Give you a extra life
You know, I've really gotta advocate for a return of the targeting system -- not as a method of speedy movement (target->swoop->kill), but instead as a way to encourage more teamplay.

NOTE BEFORE READING FURTHER:
------------------------------------------
I promise that this post will be annoyingly rantish. If you don't like that, and don't care to read, don't respond to it. This is a little bit of an everything-wrong-with-the-world thing, so, again, if you that's not your bag, don't read it. Just continue on in your merry little life. Please and thank you.
------------------------------------------

Has anyone here actually thrown a teammate a sensu bean? Ever? "Here, catch this tiny little speck on your screen that I'm going to beam right over your head, stupidly assuming that, because I'm aiming directly at you, and am within a few feet of you, will land somewhere within your gigantic hit-box of reach" is just not cutting it.

Why not use a "locked-on" targeting system to let players keep track of who they're fighting, and, as a special case, giving locked targets a bit of "pull" over sensu beans. Or...maybe beams/blasts, too?

Humor me on this one. What if, similarly to the way that secondary-fire ki-blasts (primary-fire for Renzoku) spread out and then curve into targets, blasts and beams also would home in on locked-on targets? Only just slightly, I mean. Why? Well, in the show, beams and blasts were made from a person's energy, and I can't remember a situation where any beam just missed a person completely (without an explicit, melodramatic dodge :rolleyes: )

I'm not one to complain about the hitboxes in the game -- model viewers say the sizes look just about right. But, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this, it seems that advanced melee (and, to a lesser, but still noticeable, extent, basic melee) connects far too early considering the intimacy portrayed in the situation (read: in-your-faceitude of prepunching).

A bit more on topic...I like the idea of a round-based gametype. I think it would work well to attract a few [more] fans of the show from a-more-popular-game-that-happens-to-be-round-based-and-
rhymes-with-"Flounder-Gripe". Specifically, the biggest problem I see with this game is accessibility; though it seems more people play the game every day, many don't stay for long through jeers of "OMGLOLN00B" and unstoppable barrages of ki-blasts, leading to a friendly how-do-you-do? by means of either a spirit-crushing ki-blob detonation, or turbo generic beam insta-death, et. al.

So, what can be done to attract more players? Make the game a little more familiar. Obviously, I'm not going to ask it be slowed down any further -- it's been slowed down quite a bit, it seems. I'd actually suggest the game is sped up a little bit more. Namely, a few things seem to slow down the game drastically, including:

1. Ki-blobs. What are they? I don't consider myself a diehard fan of the series (more than a tad bit juvenile for my tastes), but I can't remember ever seeing them appear. When I think of the ki-blasts that were used in the series, I think of explosions, but not an ethereal bubble that appeared to eat the villains alive as they rolled in the dirt.

2. Rapid-fire ki-blasts. Why...are...they...so...slow? The secondary fire ki-blast (for most characters) I hardly see used (I say "hardly" so as not to offend anyone -- I can't think of any of the better players that use it in serious play, but correct me if any of you are out there). I'm sure (but not sure) that movie content isn't allowed in this mod, but if anyone has seen Bio-Brolly (if you haven't, please don't. It's no good, and whether I replaced my Vegeta with him or not, Brolly is still a lame villain.), remember the ki-blasts that Goten & Trunks unloaded rapid-fire on him in their fight, you'll see what I'm talking about. (NOTE: I've seen this in main story-line episodes as well, but can't cite any exact episodes.) Along with this, the damage would probably end up being tweaked considerably -- so this might be a little bit unrealistic, unless ki-blasts were to have no effect on health, but maybe on...ki... The speed isn't just what concerns me -- the accuracy as well. Like I mentioned earlier (I think, this post is getting a little bit lengthy), I don't think I saw any "misses" in the series, only "dodges". Anyone who plays the game and knows how to move in all directions is capable of dodging a slow-moving (compared to, say, Sarutobi -- or every other person who can manage ki and move quickly) attack. People who have never heard of the game can probably do it if they at least know what to move away from and how to move.

3. Wallstick. I wouldn't suggest removing it [ever]. But the maxtime is lengthy. "But there's an svar for that," you scoff. Yes, there is, and I know -- I might just propose to whoever spent time tweaking on theirs to come up with advanced_melee.cfg. But this game does not have enough servers to say things like "Oh, well, every server will run configs they like." That's bull. Stock configuration is where it will always start. If you look at any of the major popular mods, you'll see that there's an extremely small number (in comparison) of people that run drastically game-altering modifications. Stock - configuration - is - where - it - will - always - start.

4. No more Big Beam-jumping. I'm going to actually assume this one is obvious and continue on. I'd heard the radius would be drastically reduced for big beams that hit the ground (or something) -- I'd just suggest instant detonation, myself.

5. Automatic Beamjumps/ Player-controlled detonation. Instead of detonating beams automatically upon contact with walls or players, maybe a "push" system for beams? From what I took from the 1.3 outline, the game is going to become a lot more "wall-centric", what-with from-behind grabs->slams into walls & instant-throws. Maybe to counter the beam-tracking I mentioned way above with the lock-on targeting system, because beams hit more often, the chance that they'll do serious damage is reduced; with a push system, a player hit by a beam would enter a struggle (similar to the basic-hit recovery) to push the beam, not back to the thrower, but behind them -- getting hit right in front of a wall from a much more powerful beam would more-often-than-not lead to a certain death (as it usually does anyway; fully-charged Kamehameha near a wall near you, anyone?), either instantly from the push into the wall and "walled" damage (similar to blocking a beam and being pushed into a wall now), or from detonation by A.) The player controlling the beam or B.) The wall behind you. Still playing with this idea in my head.

6. Quicker advanced melee. See: advanced_melee.cfg. :laff:

7. "Ki-as-stamina". I've only made three posts on the forums so far (I think it's at 3 now). One of my last two posts (I believe it was a response to Chakra-X's suggestion, should be just a few threads down) described this. In summary, it would have advanced melee deal damage to ki first, then health, if the ki ran out (which would be unlikely), as a direct way to attack an enemy's stamina (which is what ki is here, to a layman.)

8. (Final) A little bit of balance-tweaking. Just a little bit. It's understandable that the characters have different strengths and weaknesses, but there are still some glaring balance issues that I haven't really seen addressed; for instance, Cell. Right from spawning in a new game, Cell has very good speed, very good health, one of (if not) the strongest beams in the game (Kamehameha), a fast-moving instant-kill attack (Frieza Disc) that's technically controllable (but it's difficult), a Solar Flare/Taiyoken (if you don't understand why I added this -- you will soon enough, I guess. I didn't think much of it until a few days ago.), and the fast moving "blastbeam" (not sure on official terminology, since it behaves like a blast but leaves a trail) Special Beam Cannon. Cell is a powerhouse character -- he may not be the best, but if you pit a Cell against a Trunks player of equal (absolutely equal) skill, there's an extremely high-percentage that the Trunks player will go home and commit seppuku from the shame of being defeated with such ease.

I suppose I'm done. I'll think of more to say right after I preview & submit this post, but I'm rather sure that a lot of it would only contribute to further derailing this thread*.

* For derailing the thread, I apologize. I hope it is brought back on track swiftly, and coolly. In retrospect of the post, I suddenly realize that it has little-to-nothing to do with the reply I actually quoted.

...My bad.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am far too lazy to read that entire post. I'm more of a "1-2 sentence post" reader myself. If it's longer than that i just brush over it and forget about it.

HL is an old game, so the hit boxes are huge, there isn't anything they can do about that (same goes for swooping and hitting someone "too far away")

1. Ki blasts: who ever said this was true to the show?

2. They aren't slow if you compare them to the "slow" ones. Rapid isn't a given speed, it means it's "fast". I see people use it all the time (me, any other pro in esf >.>) if they were as fast as they are in the show. Fights would end much faster than they do now. Balancing is the name of the game. Again, ESF isn't 100% true to the show.

3. The wall stick cvar, and the no hit melee time cvar and others like it, don't work. You can set cvars like that to zero, and you will still get an alotted time.

4. No big beams eh? Wow and here i thought you wanted it to be true to the show. I recall a certain goku beam jumping away with a certain kamehameha wave >.>

5. I hate anything "automatic" i hate them in cars so naturally i hate them in games. I hate anything I can't control. If i didn't command it ingame, i don't want it to happen.
I'm too lazy to read the rest of number 5. If i'm missing something let me know. Can't garantee i'll read it though.

6. Already being thought about. But in a better sense then just *prepunch* *insert moves* *have a jolly good time ddr style*

7. less gibberish more making sense.

8. Everyone is equally balanced if you think about it. Gohan and trunks being the slowest, transform the fastest, so if you are going to play for a couple minutes or so, they are the way to go. Then you have goku and vegeta, the are the in between characters, medium speed medium strengh, medium trans (except vegeta, but it's not THAT bad) then cell and buu, fastest, most health, most power. Buu needs 3.000.000 to trans, it takes awhile trust me. Then krillin.... no comment on him, he just sucks, but he has his good points.

Wat

Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
I am far too lazy to read that entire post. I'm more of a "1-2 sentence post" reader myself. If it's longer than that i just brush over it and forget about it.
I promise that this post will be annoyingly rantish. If you don't like that, and don't care to read, don't respond to it. This is a little bit of an everything-wrong-with-the-world thing, so, again, if you that's not your bag, don't read it. Just continue on in your merry little life. Please and thank you.
Fire Phoenix said:
HL is an old game, so the hit boxes are huge, there isn't anything they can do about that (same goes for swooping and hitting someone "too far away")
That's an acceptable response.

1. Ki <strike>blasts</strike> blobs: who ever said this was true to the show?
You didn't actually offer a suggestion of an answer to the question. I don't think I'm technically obligated to offer a response, in turn. However, this should suffice.

<a href="ESForces.com">http://esforces.com/?p=about</a> said:
Earth's Special Forces, also known as ESF is a half-life modification based on the hit anime series, Dragonball Z.
ESF has been in the making for the better part of three years. The team continuely tries to push the half-life engine to it's limits in order to produce the most playably accurate Dragonball Z game around.
But I suppose you could try and argue the meanings of "based on the hit anime series, Dragonball Z" and "accurate Dragonball Z game".

Fire Phoenix said:
2. They aren't slow if you compare them to the "slow" ones. Rapid isn't a given speed, it means it's "fast". I see people use it all the time (me, any other pro in esf >.>) if they were as fast as they are in the show. Fights would end much faster than they do now. Balancing is the name of the game. Again, ESF isn't 100% true to the show.
"They aren't slow if you compare them to the 'slow' ones"? What the heck does that mean? Regardless, I'll take a blind leap and assume that you didn't read the rest of that particular section.

Imagine kiblasts that do next to nothing in damage. Not 1 or 2 health, but fractions of health, or even draining stamina/ki, as I've mentioned before.

Now click <a href="http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1607/rapidblasts4nk.th.jpg">here</a>.

Fire Phoenix said:
3. The wall stick cvar, and the no hit melee time cvar and others like it, don't work. You can set cvars like that to zero, and you will still get an alotted time.
Nobody wants to disable it. That was actually within the first two sentences of my post.
3. Wallstick. I wouldn't suggest removing it [ever]. But the maxtime is lengthy. "But there's an svar for that," you scoff. Yes, there is, and I know -- I might just propose to whoever spent time tweaking on theirs to come up with advanced_melee.cfg.
...That part isn't even very long.

4. No big beams eh? Wow and here i thought you wanted it to be true to the show. I recall a certain goku beam jumping away with a certain kamehameha wave >.>
I recall a certain Kid Goku surviving a blast unscathed from a being that had nearly killed him in SSJ4. I recall a certain Goku returning several times from the dead, courtesy of unexplainable Deus Ex machinas, when, supposedly, it had been stated near the series, "You can only be wished back from the dead by the Dragonballs once." Of course, they obviously didn't think of the balls on other planets. Or weird ass plot twists.

Yeah, Goku gets to break all of the rules. So, you're saying that he should also only die when it's "convenient" and everybody except for the strongest guy on the other team is dead? But, of course, the strongest guy is about to either get bored and leave or get auto-teamswitched?

Fire Phoenix said:
5. I hate anything "automatic" i hate them in cars so naturally i hate them in games. I hate anything I can't control. If i didn't command it ingame, i don't want it to happen.
I'm too lazy to read the rest of number 5. If i'm missing something let me know. Can't garantee i'll read it though.
This suggestion was sketchy anyway. You can have this one, even though I did explain it a little bit more than the header. But whatever. Don't read.

Fire Phoenix said:
6. Already being thought about. But in a better sense then just *prepunch* *insert moves* *have a jolly good time ddr style*
Just read in another post that it's already been changed, so my suggestion is nullified, I guess. Reference <a href="http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=60565">here</a>.

Fire Phoenix said:
7. less gibberish more making sense.
<a href="http://forum.esforces.com/showpost.php?p=700319&postcount=4">*sigh*</a>.

Though I suppose you won't read that one either.

Fire Phoenix said:
8. Everyone is equally balanced if you think about it. Gohan and trunks being the slowest, transform the fastest, so if you are going to play for a couple minutes or so, they are the way to go. Then you have goku and vegeta, the are the in between characters, medium speed medium strengh, medium trans (except vegeta, but it's not THAT bad) then cell and buu, fastest, most health, most power. Buu needs 3.000.000 to trans, it takes awhile trust me. Then krillin.... no comment on him, he just sucks, but he has his good points.
Krillin is the fastest character post-trans, but a bad player will probably not remain on a server long enough to collect that much PL. He's also 1/3 of the characters with instant-kill disc attacks -- but his is uncontrollable. He's given a Kamehameha, which, as I mentioned above, is one of the best beams, if not the best. What does that mean? Jack. Because until his ridiculously late head-puberty ("All of a sudden hair started growing in weird places..."), he's tied with the other "weak" characters in speed.

Buu starts with more than twice Gohan's PL, 1.6 times the health, something like 120% of his speed, can turn his enemies into candy, can regenerate, and has a decently fast-charging beam. His transformation is permanent, so, in a fast-moving FFA server, even post-trans, he spawns and is an amazingly fast, amazingly strong character.

By the numbers, Trunks should beat Gohan, hands-down. He's got the sword, he spawns with a higher PL and more health, and, because of the higher initial PL, he will transform faster (his perfect transformation is much quicker). Why don't you see him in use? I'd say it's the fact that, once he transforms, he matches SSJ Goku in speed and power -- and he's got a fast-charging beam attack that makes a nice big explosion and does very good damage.

You said that Vegeta and Goku are medium-level characters -- but you said that Gohan is a good choice if you're just playing for a minute. You don't see a balance issue if, within 5 minutes, a Gohan player can match, in speed and health, a Goku that's been playing for 20, or a Vegeta that's been playing for 30? (Rough estimates, you get the idea)

Not a whole lot to argue here.

* Still sorry for derailing thread.

* While replying, forums went down. May have missed a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom