New melee Good or Bad?

Do u like the New melee So far?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HELL NO!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its not that great but i like it a little.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Almost suits my needs.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
New Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
20
Best answers
0
Mr. Satan said:
Haha, it's devistatingly obvious that alot of people are ignorant about many things...unfortunatly ~_~
I'm guessing you read my post in Abe's Thread? Yeah, I think some people owe PcJoe an apology *cough Sonic *cough* as well those erhm "ESF VETERAN ELITES" wow, those guys must be sure proud of themselves they can highlight a target and right click to knock em down. Very Elite, Very.......I still remember when they first introduced the auto-punching sequence and the charged swoop. Half of the community thought it was *OMFG BULL****, NO SKILL WTF?* and half were being optimistic. Well, now that they have introduced the next few phases, our horizon expands as they tell us more. Now about 80% think it seems cool, and they haven't even finished it yet. So is it really nice to bash someones hard work just cause it *sounds* bad. Though there is still some ignorance going on, especially with the "ESF VETERANS". Please, give it a rest, things change. You guys should of realized that as this as an ever changing mod. If you guys are so *good*, you shouldn't have any trouble adjusting, and can go back owning people with your leet skillz. After seeing the melee video, I was very impressed and I am truly glad, I decided to download this mod. The only think I can see to the ESF team, is thank-you. I'm sure this next version will be a great success, and that the mod will live for years to come.
 

sub

Active Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
5,961
Best answers
0
Yes, it would impossble to have fighitng in real time and let it be fair to everyone. But The poeple with 200 ping could just play on a local server. If there on a 56k they should play on there own made up server with bots, I mean thats what bots are for right? This is why I said

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Hybrid

I fell the whole idea is bad and somone should come up with a new one. No matter what tweaks you put into this system (tweaks as in tweaking the amound of time it takes to do a punch, the ki it takes, ect) it will still be bad becuase the idea its based upon is bad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People with a high ping are going to have an unfair disadvantage, no matter what you do. You should not sacrifice the gameplay to make it fair for laggers. Thats why I dont like 1.2 melee. You sacreficed to much to make the game playable when you should have been trying to make the game fun. Oh well, Ill still love esf in 1.2 no matter what you guys do, im sure it will all work out in the end since the esf is just amazing. Again, like i said in my last post, gj esf team, keep up the great work. And btw, i may be wrong that you sacrificed to much in the game to make it playable. Im just judging on this becuse it appered that way in the video. Sry if im wrong.
 
New Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
20
Best answers
0
Hybrid said:
Yes, it would impossble to have fighitng in real time and let it be fair to everyone. But The poeple with 200 ping could just play on a local server. If there on a 56k they should play on there own made up server with bots, I mean thats what bots are for right? This is why I said

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Hybrid

I fell the whole idea is bad and somone should come up with a new one. No matter what tweaks you put into this system (tweaks as in tweaking the amound of time it takes to do a punch, the ki it takes, ect) it will still be bad becuase the idea its based upon is bad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People with a high ping are going to have an unfair disadvantage, no matter what you do. You should not sacrifice the gameplay to make it fair for laggers. Thats why I dont like 1.2 melee. You sacreficed to much to make the game playable when you should have been trying to make the game fun. Oh well, Ill still love esf in 1.2 no matter what you guys do, im sure it will all work out in the end since the esf is just amazing. Again, like i said in my last post, gj esf team, keep up the great work. And btw, i may be wrong that you sacrificed to much in the game to make it playable. Im just judging on this becuse it appered that way in the video. Sry if im wrong.
Thats the attitude everyone should have.
 
Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 24, 2001
Messages
1,981
Best answers
0
I see your point Hybrid, but look at it this way..
In beta 1.0-1.1, it's possible for a dail up user to win in melee, it's difficult, but possible.
Now, beta 1.2. If we made it real time, it turns into that "difficult" into impossible. We would have to make a large banner saying "Broadband only!" Play on servers on a different continent? Play on a different server across the country? Hell no, you need 100> ping, you'll have to play on local servers.
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
Joined
Jan 4, 2003
Messages
420
Best answers
0
I love the whole idea of the melee system with the exception of the charged swoop. I don't think that there's anything else wrong with it. GJ team, this mod will be brought down from generation to generation :):yes:
 
New Member
Joined
May 12, 2003
Messages
230
Best answers
0
Now im Utterly Pissed off.....


This thread was meant for Sharing ur opinions not arguing them....
Trying to make the esf team have an easier opinion of what peeps lke and all but this is wrong. We should get together as a community and try to support these guys the whole nine yards not waist there time trying to get stuff done jesus christ close this thread for the sake of mankind.


BTW i didnt know joe already made a thread ive been gone.
 
New Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
673
Best answers
0
it looked kind of er.. to me, they looked more like they were having fun dancing then fighting in that video
 
New Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Messages
78
Best answers
0
Keep your comments on the video *WIP*(say what you do or dont like about what you HAVE SEEN)*WIP*, dont judge it till you've played it. Its like judging a movie by its trailer, and if that were the case nearly every single hollywood movie would be incredible :/

Oh, and not every1 can afford broadband, isolating part of the community and not taking their needs into account is very ******* like, something the ESF team is not (so far anyway :D )

also did I mention....

W I P !!!!!!!!
 
Lost in space
Banned
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
65
Best answers
0
Again, why would they make a video then? There was much misunderstanding in the introduction given on the ESF site. Alot of people complained, saying how wank it would end up. Well, there's a little video showing how it 'would' look. Even though it's a WIP, people can judge as far as they can see. If they were judging about things they havn't seen, then, yeah, should shut the hell up.

Oh yeah, did I mention....

Critisizing what you've seen?

Anyway, I'm not satisfied with the current melee in progress. I really hope it'll change, dramatically.
 
New Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2002
Messages
104
Best answers
0
hi ~ i got a question about advanced melee , so here it goes :
Will a Trow cause damage to the player if he dont hits a wall or thr ground ?
And what about these delays after someone starts a combo ... will ther be some kind of animation doesnt make the opponents standing in front of each other eating a cookie ? And ~ what about binding some teleports into advanced melee , will this be possible ... like : "charge kick up" "charge teleport" charge hit down" or something ?
 
New Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Messages
78
Best answers
0
Mugen said:
Again, why would they make a video then? There was much misunderstanding in the introduction given on the ESF site. Alot of people complained, saying how wank it would end up. Well, there's a little video showing how it 'would' look. Even though it's a WIP, people can judge as far as they can see. If they were judging about things they havn't seen, then, yeah, should shut the hell up.

Oh yeah, did I mention....

Critisizing what you've seen?

Anyway, I'm not satisfied with the current melee in progress. I really hope it'll change, dramatically.
The video is just a piece of the pie, something to keep ppl satisfied so that they dont start *****ing about how nothing is happening...on the same point yes, it is also to get input from the community on how things basically are, or how they are gonna end up (and whether it is liked or not). Point taken :D

oh yeah, I am a big fan of esf but as it stands the melee may as well be Pinball Z (or maybe Joustball Z). Any move away from the hit, block, hit block, (I am not saying that that is all to it, but thats basically what it is) system towards something a bit more complex is a good one in my opinion.
 
Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
4,534
Best answers
0
ShiftyOliver said:
I'm guessing you read my post in Abe's Thread? Yeah, I think some people owe PcJoe an apology *cough Sonic *cough* as well those erhm "ESF VETERAN ELITES" wow, those guys must be sure proud of themselves they can highlight a target and right click to knock em down. Very Elite, Very.......
Are you going to go from thread to thread insulting me? One more time and I'll start nailing warnings into your forehead. I responded in that thread so let's keep it in that thread, do you understand?

Your entire post was one big whine. Why don't you find something better to do than try to start the forums aflame?
 
Lost in space
Banned
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
65
Best answers
0
I like it plain and simple. If it was just block, hit, swoop, like it is now, fixing the HOW problem and your settled. That's all I actually want. I don't like all this 'wierd' stuff going on. Auto punching, dodging, taking alot of time each. It's horrible when I think about it, I'm used to fast paced action and violence, no 5-second-break each time I want to perform a combo.

Oh and ShiftyOliver, that sure is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why don't you start playing the game and scour it a little further. Seriously, describing it like that, makes you look ...... *censored*
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Messages
1,495
Best answers
0
Heh, It's "the most stupidist" thing you've ever heard? Man, when you're going to say something is stupid, at least use correct english. :p just poking fun.

Anyways, I can understand what you're saying, I myself like the way melee is turning out, but if you don't you will always be able to change it back to 1.1 melee, with a simple cvar change. :)
 
Lost in space
Banned
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
65
Best answers
0
Pardon, had about 20 hours of sleep during the entire week, seems like I'm getting weaker at grammar each day :p

I'll better shush before I'll accidentily make it look all screwed again, like now >_>

They better recheck that cvar, if that thing is missing, I'll cry myself a river.
 
Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 24, 2001
Messages
1,981
Best answers
0
They better recheck that cvar, if that thing is missing, I'll cry myself a river.
Mugen, you're entitled to your own opinion, and i respect that... but you're starting to get a little annoying with it. The melee cvar is there, it was there before I even started coding the basics of advanced melee. Don't worry about it
IT WILL BE THERE
I like it plain and simple. If it was just block, hit, swoop, like it is now, fixing the HOW problem and your settled. That's all I actually want.
You're one of the people I was talking about in the other thread (while replying to Pains post). You just don't want melee to change. It doesn't matter what the new melee system is, you don't care, you just want the old beta 1.1 melee system with some fixes on the HOWs.
I don't like all this 'wierd' stuff going on. Auto punching, dodging, taking alot of time each. It's horrible when I think about it, I'm used to fast paced action and violence, no 5-second-break each time I want to perform a combo.
Huge emphasis on
<font color="red">Work In Progress</font>
Hell, if possible we might shift the combo charging to blend in with the prepunches (suggestions of halorins). Wouldn't that remove that 5 second brake you're talking about? I don't think i have to go into the fact blocking is very incomplete, with the rest of the melee system. All the timed events in melee have place-holders. I get rather annoyed to see people saying
"I don't want to wait 9 seconds, i counted every punch and how long it takes"
How many times do i have to say, all the times are temporary, we havnt tweaked them in any way, shape, or form. Thinking about it, how the hell can we? We're still working on the base of the system, I JUST implemented the sounds several nights ago. I won't even get started on the fact that i havn't touched the FX yet.

Will a Trow cause damage to the player if he dont hits a wall or thr ground ?
The throw won't do damage (well it doesn't right now) if the player doesnt hit something.
And what about these delays after someone starts a combo ... will ther be some kind of animation doesnt make the opponents standing in front of each other eating a cookie ?
Eating a cookie? First time i've heard that, lol. We're concidering putting them into a idle "melee struggle"/fast punch-kick type thing, just to make them look pretty.
And ~ what about binding some teleports into advanced melee , will this be possible ... like : "charge kick up" "charge teleport" charge hit down" or something ?
Sorry, i don't really get this one?

Again, why would they make a video then? There was much misunderstanding in the introduction given on the ESF site. Alot of people complained, saying how wank it would end up. Well, there's a little video showing how it 'would' look. Even though it's a WIP, people can judge as far as they can see. If they were judging about things they havn't seen, then, yeah, should shut the hell up.
Well, they judge it on "It's too slow, it should be faster", which is what they see. We tell them that all the time values are place holders, and it's wip... Then they make their next post saying the same exact thing as above, and then start talking about melee ideas that (that is if they even have ideas)
1) Can't work out properly (The other "real time" melee suggestion post that screws everyone over that has ping over 100 for example)
2) Pretty much a copy of the beta 1.1 melee system, people just don't want to change...
3) Actually do have good valid ideas... Halorin for example. Even thoug he's banned (I think?), I probably respect him the most out of all the people who hate the new melee. He said he doesn't like melee without saying his d!ick could code something better *cough* Nabore *cough*, and then he went ahead and made a very nice melee suggestion (which is being reviewed by the team).

And study hall is over... bbl ^_^
 
Lost in space
Banned
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
65
Best answers
0
Sorry, was just thinking about the horror when it would be forgotten :p I don't mind a change in melee, not at all. I would actually encourage it. Then again, this isn't just a change, it's a totally new thing. I don't know if I can still call it melee when it's done. It's just these waiting times and stuff which make me all grumpy :p

Just a question, if you can answer it without any difficulties. I know some people who're "Buu players", the perfect combination of Melee and the candyray, being extremely lethal. Now imagine, you get hit, and your stunned (as far as I can understand), that little 1-2 second is enough to candy someone completely. Will you stay stunned if you switch from Melee to Candy? Same goes for frieza and his laser, I'm just anxious to know.

If you may not answer it due to progress and stuff, it's fine, just wondering.

And sorry if that leaves you another good few min to type something all out again, I guess it's my sleepiness, off to bed I go.
 
Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 24, 2001
Messages
1,981
Best answers
0
Mugen said:
Sorry, was just thinking about the horror when it would be forgotten :p I don't mind a change in melee, not at all. I would actually encourage it. Then again, this isn't just a change, it's a totally new thing. I don't know if I can still call it melee when it's done. It's just these waiting times and stuff which make me all grumpy :p
I guess I see your point... But then again, I don't see how you can call the beta 1.1 melee system melee? Isn't melee "Close combat", "hand to hand combat" or something along those lines? I guess 0.5 seconds of "close combat" can be concidered melee though (before you go flying off into another dimention) ^_^

Mugen said:
Just a question, if you can answer it without any difficulties. I know some people who're "Buu players", the perfect combination of Melee and the candyray, being extremely lethal. Now imagine, you get hit, and your stunned (as far as I can understand), that little 1-2 second is enough to candy someone completely. Will you stay stunned if you switch from Melee to Candy? Same goes for frieza and his laser, I'm just anxious to know.
The stun time only applys while you're locked in melee. As soon as you're out of melee, both players can move fine w/o any difficulties.

Mugen said:
And sorry if that leaves you another good few min to type something all out again, I guess it's my sleepiness, off to bed I go.
N/p, night man :)
 
Lost in space
Banned
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
65
Best answers
0
ARGH! You replied to this thread and it instantly emails me, and now it's Incredimail with some massive sound waking me up, greaaaaaaaaaaaat.

But err, about that Buu thing, doesn't that make his candyray useless? I usually use it when I bash someone against a wall and hes rolling on the floor. ROAAARR!!! Guess I'll have to find another way to candy people :( Just code some flaw that'll stun people for roundabout 3 seconds, that's enough for me to candy :p

I guess I'm just too used to this melee system. All this fancy stuff is confusing me. Anyway, thanks for explaining, that was kind of everything I needed to know.

I'll try n snooze again, and close Incredimail this time >_>
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top