New Melee Engage Feature

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Alright, this sort of engage will change esf's over all feel and gameplay... it will force basic melee to be the 2ndary type of attack inorder to make room for this new Main Melee System..

Let me state this so that a bunch of panzies don't come in here only to spit a 3 letter word @ me.( BAD BAD BAD)

If your going to reply *Understand this idea* to the best of your ability and read this entire* post. Also, if your going to reply please add clear explanations to support your Critique.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three Terms you need to know.

Caution Zone: A *caution zone* is a fairly large radius around you, the player. When players enter your caution zone, depending on your situation it's possible that you'll automatically switch stances .

Stances: In this new engage feature, there are 3 stances. Each stance is a different fighting mode that a player alternates between automatically depending on his or her situtation.

CoG(Caught Off Guard): This term describes the situation where an enemy enters your Caution Zone and forces you to switch your stance.

Side Note: When blocking your always cautious, but if a player remains within your Caution Zone for 3 seconds while or after you've been blocking, you'll automatically switch stances. If you release block with a player in your caution zone you have 2 seconds to get him out of your caution zone or you'll automatically switch stances.

Stance #1 is automatically initiated when no players in your *cautious zone*. This stance is similar to the current esf's gameplay, where you double tap to swoop and you teleport fairly large distances, using Basic Melee and Long Distance Beams as your method of attacking.

Stance #2 is automatically initiated when your Caught off Gaurd because 1 or more player(s) entered your caution zone when you're not swooping or blocking. Also know that the player who enters your Caution Zone must not be swooping to switch stances. In this stance all moves are changed to fit the new melee in this stance. Short distance beams can be used while long distnace beams would be considered as special attacks that you'd have to work at to use. The melee would also be changed for this close combat situation. Swoop speeds and teleport distances and "how offten a teleport can be used," would be adjusted to suit this "close-combat", "1vs1-or more," focused melee stance". In stance two either player could try to escape this stance at any moment, but the attacker would try to prevent this by staying close to you, thus staying in your *Cautious Zone*.

Side Notes: This stance focuses on a close combat melee that's free and similar to stance 1 and doesn't limit players within a bubble. Either player may travel all over the map and remain in stance 2 depending on the player's skills, unlike the advance melee we see in ESF 1.2. Also, the distance a Basic melee hit knocks a player back can be adjusted so that when the enemy recovers he doesn't inititate Stance #2 unless the attacker swoops/teleports into the enemy's Caution Zone.

Stance #3:

This stance is essentially stance #2, only with more then 1 enemy. In this stance you're capable of using the TurboSwoop as seen in ESF 1.3 Open Beta, to escape.

Side Note: You can only use the Turbo Swoop while in Stance #3 and Stance #1 when your ki is at its' max.

I encourage people to actually "Critique" this idea for improvement purposes

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers

This is a cruddy example of the Caution zone.. It shows where it is on a player..

but i think it would/should be alot bigger then this.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you moron, jinx. use an overhead shot if your gonna show a circle. the hells wrong with you?

there are 2 things i like about your suggestions, and it has nothing to do with your melee system. as it sucks.

the first thing is that caution circle thing. i think that when your approached from behind you should get a small signal below your scouter. a good player will be able to react to that during public play.

the second thing, fighting styles, is a suggestion i was thinking of making. based off of, once again, JKA.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the second thing, fighting styles, is a suggestion i was thinking of making. based off of, once again, JKA.
Go on aim and tell me about your fighting style ideas. I have a few ideas I've been mulling over.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Movement Features while in stance 2 or 3

I haven't thought about everything yet, but I believe this is a good feature that will suit stance #2 movement.

Stance #2 and #3 Hover Features:
-Pressing any direction will cause you the player to hover in that direction.
-While hovering in a direction, if you have a beam selected your crosshair will become transparent as it locks-onto the closest player near it.
-If you hover in place, this feature doesn't work and you can aim manually.
-If you double tap and hold block, this feature is temporarily activated for 2 seconds, before it dies.. and it also has a delay that can be adjusted for balance.

Note: When the Crosshair LOCKS-ON, a Secondary crosshair takes its' place. If you move the secondary crosshair near another player, the hollow crosshair will jump to that player, and you'll now be locked onto that player instead. Also, any player that you lockon to, MUST be in the stance with you.

These features will be very usefull in shooting close combat energy blasts, this would also be a great feature if *back* teleport was to be added to this mode(similar to dbz burstlimit).

--------------------------------------------------------

Stance #2 and #3 Dash Features:
-While in stance two, players may use a Dash to freely fly around.
-Dashing Left, or Right will cause the "new lockon feature" seen above to turn on. Dashing in any other direction requires manual aim.

How To Dash

-Players may simply hold powerup and press any direction to begin a dash in that direction.

When dashing,the player becomes limited to 2 types of Melee Attacks:

Attack1: A Knockback Punch ( similar to basic melee )
Attack2: A flying kick ( has no knock back )

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Simple In-depth Combo Melee System

Alright, this is a very simplistic but indepth and fun combo system proposal for stance #2 and #3 Melee engaging that I came up with.

This combo system consist of 2 attack buttons.

[Punch](L-Click) and [Kick](R-Click)

With these two buttons, this system will have an indepth fighting system consiting from a variety of moves.

Basic Moves:

[Punch]: L-Click

[Kick] R-Click

[Block](which ever button fits best)

[Counter]: Kick + Block

[Grab]: Punch + Kick

[PowerHit/Block Breaker]: Punch + Powerup or Kick + Powerup (Hold both buttons to charge the hit, Hold as long as possible to perform the Block Breaker... you can combine this with any combo at any time.. Example: P,P-Hold and that would be the end of the combo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Combos
Each character would have their own unique combos depending on player stats, which would all be carefully decided for "balance".

Take Goku for example, his combos would look similar to these.

P,P,P,P (punch combo)

K,K,K,K (Kick Combo)

P,P,K (Punch and kick buttons combined to make a New Punch Combo)

K,P (a New Kick Combo)

To keep things simple.. you wouldn't see something like this.. P,K,P,P,k,K unless everyone felt it would be a good thing to EVEN more depth to this already indepth system.

Different characters would do different damage per hit. Some character's Combos would mainly be short, slightly slow, and strong, while others would be slightly lengthy, weak, and slightly faster.

Each attack has a unique, short or long delay after it, for example.. I could only do the p,p,p,p combo so fast, but I could also slow down and delay certain P's to keep my enemy guessing
There are 5 types of STUN Hits during a combo.

Weak Stun - caused by the first punch of a combo
Medium Stun - Caused by the 2nd punch of a combo
Strong Stun - Caused by kicks in a combo.
Setup Stun - Caused by a punch or kick, and is a pre-hit for a Knockback hit. ( punch to the gut / a hit that knocks a player up in the air/ man possibilities)
Knock Back Stun - Caused by a punch or kick at the end of a combo(This is the hit that knocks a player back)

For example, Goku's Punch combo: P,P,P,P. The first P, would cause a weak stun. This type of stun only weakens the stun from a weak attack of the enemey.

So if i pressed P, and the enemy pressed P slightly after. my P would hit him first and as a result, he'd take damage and his punch would hit me, but the stun from his punch would be *shortened* giving me the advantage, speed-wise, to be the first to attack next. If he was good he'd block and the fight would continue

Because his punch landed too, i cant complete my combo, but i'll have to restart it with a punch or kick.

So lets say I move around again, this time I catch im and I press P,P

The 2nd P would cause the 2nd Type of "Stun". The 2nd type of stun basically assures me that i can finish my p,p,p,p combo. Unless I'm hit with a stronger stun like a kick, simaltaneously...

Mmk this is a quick whip up of this melee system, I'll go into more depth with this later on if I think people are interested, but I'de rather hear some opinions on this before I go into detail about this system.

Last edited:
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Were do you come up with all of these dude? (i'm not being sarcastic)
And the LMB and RMB melee system,i don't think it'll work!

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This just sounds like the 1.3 outline, but with a small zone to trigger things off instead of swooping into the other player and holding LMB. I like the scouter-zone idea though, should just use this as a more damaging attack or knockback when you are caught off guard from behind.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
This just sounds like the 1.3 outline, but with a small zone to trigger things off instead of swooping into the other player and holding LMB. I like the scouter-zone idea though, should just use this as a more damaging attack or knockback when you are caught off guard from behind.
Well, i think you should check out the Melee engage feature a lot more closely.

Especially the part where it says:

"This stance focuses on a close combat melee that's free and similar to stance 1 and doesn't limit players within a bubble. Either player may travel all over the map and remain in stance 2 depending on the player's skills, unlike the advance melee we see in ESF 1.2."

If you meant that fighting zone for stance #2 is small, it wont seem that way when fighting /flying around in it, because speeds are adjusted to it.

As for the melee, this is just how the fighting controls would look like.

you are still swooping around and dashing in stance two, but I'm still carefully thinkin about how it should work.

as for these punches/kicks/grabs/counters/.. its NOT a button masher.. where you just punch and kick over and over.. the melee system is based on short delays and stun times per attack..

I think i'll go into more detail for the movement and fighting system while in stance #2 to give you more of an idea how it'll work tho.

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the outline goes into specific stamina inclined attacks and evasions, as well as teleports, delays, throws and counters. Theres already a good system in my opinion. What I like about your idea though is that you kinda have the foundation for a defensive melee system in a way. If a player is in the rear field, it opens the opportunity for a certain attack/counter. If an enemy is within range, you can initiate the adv melee quickly without swooping. I personally dont like your stance system, but you also raise some interesting ideas along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom