New Laptop: XP or Vista?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I'm getting a new laptop and I need some opinions.

Leave Vista on it? Or format right from the start, get rid of the bloatware, and put XP on it?

Oh, and in case anyone is curious.

Link.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
XP straight away, I've got a similar laptop and have noticed a massive improvement.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I'm getting a new laptop and I need some opinions.

Leave Vista on it? Or format right from the start, get rid of the bloatware, and put XP on it?

Oh, and in case anyone is curious.

Link.
Depends what you want it for. I use Vista, because I wanted a 64-bit operating system, as I have more than 2GB of RAM. There is a 64-bit XP variant, but it's not well supported.

I've learned to live with Vista. It does come with a lot of useful features, and some not-so-useful features. But like XP, you can customize away the most annoying ones.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm guessing you're going to play games on that too considering the specs?

Want %10-%20 more frames? Install XP :p

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
8600 mobile is a crap card, you won't be playing anything new.
and XP is going to give you more then a 10% at best
which would make 5 fps goto 5.5

big whoop

Both operating systems work, just choose what you feel most comfertable with

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm guessing you're going to play games on that too considering the specs?

Want %10-%20 more frames? Install XP :p
http://kotaku.com/390214/vista-game-speeds-finally-catch-up-to-xp

This article would like your attention.

Posted Kotaku Article said:
If you were expecting a huge drop in performance as your eyes scanned from the XP to the Vista results, well, surprise! As many a tech analyst predicted, Windows Vista's gaming performance conundrum has largely been solved, and it was mainly due to early graphics drivers.

In fact, I'd been planning to run a few other gaming tests, but the results from these were so uninteresting that further work didn't seem merited. Love it or hate it, Vista is performing far better than it used to.

Game performance, it seems, has been exorcised from your concern when choosing a Microsoft operating system. That leaves a few other factors, of course: stability, responsiveness, eye candy, price, DirectX version, and a few other odds and ends.

It took about a year and a half, but the performance gap between Vista and its forerunner has finally evaporated.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
8600 mobile is a crap card, you won't be playing anything new.
and XP is going to give you more then a 10% at best
which would make 5 fps goto 5.5

big whoop

Both operating systems work, just choose what you feel most comfertable with
You don't have to be playing new stuff, to be playing stuff, prozac.

TF2 will run perfectly fine on that machine, for example.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vista... just look into fixing the bugs yourself.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your battery will probably last longer on xp

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The GS Mobile is crap. The GT is actually pretty good. But if I were you, I'd save up a bit more and get a laptop with an 8800GTX or at least a Penryn core (T8xxx, T9xxx). If you have either one of these, I'd definitly go with Vista. Seeing as the 8800MGTX is a real DX10 card, you need Vista (And it's not a crap card either, the 8800MGTX with a T8100 can get 12,000 points in 3DMark06) and to take full advantage of the new Penryn cores features, you need Vista. (They will work with XP, but better with Vista) Anyone saying Vista is crap for gaming isn't exactly right. Although XP is generally better than Vista for gaming, SP1 solved some problems with games, getting much better FPS (On a rare ocassion, even more than XP). Vista is good enough. That and as a windows itself, Vista is probably the best windows that exists, in my opinion.

Personally, I'd look into the Dell XPS M1530 if I were you. Unless you really want a 17" screen. For the same price, you get more (T8300 Penryn core, 4GB RAM, 8600M GT 256MB DDR3, Uber sexy look, best looking laptop IMO) Downside is, you don't get a BluRay player with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom