💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Starry Night by Joe Satriani
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7325152356665184198&hl=en

Crystal Planet by Joe Satriani
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6829759533650888312&hl=en

Dee By the amazingly awesome Randy Rhoads
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6027768379528971201&hl=en

The guitar you see in the top two is a new guitar i had gotten after running out of enough patience to save 1,000 dollars for a gibson SG so i just bought this one at the 400 dollar mark

these should be alot more interesting to watch or listen to than the solo i posted the other day, although i really wish i had some backing tracks

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
listened for 30 seconds of starry night, and 20 second of crystal planet. i dont want to hear what you did to "dee"...

have you even listened to how satch plays? have you thought about the way he plays? what is it with shredders and their inability to be subtle? every single one of your notes is viciously attacked, with no remorse, and because of that your overall ability suffers. you need to learn to be more dynamic in the way you play, how to be softer, quieter, and how to pick once and play 3 notes with the same attack...

all in all, it seems like youve got a long way to go. learn how to set your amp up properly. its all well and good buying expensive guitars, but the amp makes up 90% of the sound, so without having that part right, you'll never get a good sound. on top of which, you also need to learn how, and when, to change your pickup selection for a wider range of sounds.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well if you wanted subtle you shouldve listened to dee, thats my favorite song and i do everything i can to make it sound right on camera

after you do that realize that not everyone can afford this great camera that records like it would in a dream, it sounds like crap and i did my best to prepare for the speed increase but im not a god. if you knew anything at all you would know that **** doesnt sound as good on camera as it does live

if you cant keep in mind any of that ****, than your no better off than i am

🍂 Regular
Best answers
You should really tune your **** aswell.

It was like... I got flooded by cats, and then the cats started scratching their nails over a blackboard.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DaRkOwNs said:
after you do that realize that not everyone can afford this great camera that records like it would in a dream, it sounds like crap and i did my best to prepare for the speed increase but im not a god. if you knew anything at all you would know that **** doesnt sound as good on camera as it does live

lol, my camera is 7 years old, and its microphone has like, and input of 17ohms, its the worst piece of junk ever. but my video's still sound good, because i know how to set up my equipment.

when i say they sound good, i mean, not all tinny n ****, i realise im not that great a player.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should really tune your **** aswell.
did it sound out of tune? thats strange, i tuned it before i started.

lol, my camera is 7 years old, and its microphone has like, and input of 17ohms, its the worst piece of junk ever. but my video's still sound good, because i know how to set up my equipment.

when i say they sound good, i mean, not all tinny n ****, i realise im not that great a player.
yeah it does sound tinny, i guess ill experiment

oh and i wanted to say something before, "a good sound is important but if your playing to sound good instead of have fun then your not a guitarist"

thats what my teacher told me and i think he has a point

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and to quote the inside of joe satriani's "surfing with the alien" sheet music book:

"i love all musicians, and i love that people want to play my music, but if your going to play it, play it right".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you missed a massive chunk of crystal planet, and then when you played the main phrase, it was robotic. you got none of the subtleties of how he plays, using slides, legatto, and proper vibrato in the right places.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok so i admit i didnt look into crystal planet as much as i should have, i mean i didnt even know the ending. for the ending i just played from what i had heard and knew from the song and the solo.

besides Joe is a professional guitarist, ive only been playing for 2 years i cant completely duplicate a guitarist with +25 years on me

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
See, this is why I don't record guitar and show it here; I'd be ripped to shreds.

DaRK, with my limited experience, the only advice I can give is to pick an easy song with lots of feel to it, and learn to play it with that emotion. Once you can express the emotion of a song, then try going on to Satch. You can play the notes (although your amp doesn't sound a damn thing like it should) but the song just isn't there. Amp settings a little less on the brutal side couldn't hurt either.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*sigh* your missing the point entirely.

the point wasnt to say "you suck". it was to say "your not playing it the way it was meant to be played".

if you want to play lightning fast, go listen to paul gilbert.

if you want to play stuff which actually has soul, then grow one for yourself, and realise theres more to playing a guitar, than shredding.

and what better way to learn to play like satch, than to learn from the dude himself?

learning to play satch boogie
10 tips from satch
crystal planet, live

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont ****ing shred already

your not telling me im missing the point of the song, your telling me im not playing the song right

i play with a lot of passion behind it even if you cant see it on a video camera, besides ive actually read and seen all of that. you think i havent tried to play like him?

its not a matter of skill or soul its a matter of experience, and im singularly inexperienced as i believe you are

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ive been playing 2 years, and i'm all away ahead of you way AHEAD. It's called dedication, stop making excuses and start practicing listen to the song and play long with it make it flow and go with the melody.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've read about 5 posts and then decided to make one myself: This is exactly why I don't go out, buy a camera, and a microphone, and post a video of myself playing guitar. Or playing anything for that matter. I don't care who is or isn't better than me. I care that I have fun playing guitar, and that I like the sound I'm producing when I play a certain piece.

I'll admit I didn't like any of them, they sounded to scratchy? (Don't know if that's the right word) though the last one was the best, because it was soothing, it's late at night and I'm tired.

But, you have guts for posting yourself online to a bunch of people you don't know, who you know will lower your ego to lower than dirt.

If I may, how often do you play a day? If you don't play everyday then how often a week?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't be downhearted, people are offering honest advice and aren't flaming you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Use your aggressive feelings, boy! Let the hate flow through you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom