New Game Mode

Best answers
Yeah nge, if you haven't noticed, Mastasurf said in the design documents that there would be other games modes in 1.3, such as a mode called Capture the Dragon (like capture the flag, with dragon balls instead of flags). So adding another game mode wouldn't divide up the community. To me, basically what you're saying, is that we should only have Teamplay and Free For-All, so we only have the option to fight other people in the game. Well, there are already other game modes going into 1.3 so, I don't think adding one more will make a difference. Just think, the more modes that go into 1.3, the more people would like to play ESF. If your new to the game, and don't like fighting other people, then you can go to a different game mode. Which would add more depth to the game, and it wouldn't get boring as fast.

nge

Best answers
Disableing swoop seems like a totally different game to me. I have read every post carefully, and this does not add variation. It changes the basics of gameplay.

CTDB still revolves around the core fighting system. It's got a different objective, but your means of accomplishing the said objective are the same as regular fighting.

It's too drastic a difference, and I already have trouble as it is finding good servers.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun- it's seems to me like it would divide the community more than it adds to it, however.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
No idea why you think that nge, this mode sounds like a lot of fun to me. Sure it disables a couple of the normal forms of movement but it's not as if it suddenly turns into a side-scroller, THAT would make it a different game, not this. This mode is simply a more relaxed way of having fun. It's not as if ESF has always had free-form swoop so I don't see the problem. I assume turbo will still be available so it's not as if it will be TOO slow. It would NOT divide the community. Some people in the community don't even PLAY ESF anymore so why would it divide them?

Yes, it changes the basics of gameplay, which in turn, adds variation. Having several modes that are basically the same but with slight differences is hardly variation but this does add it.

This sounds like it would be fun to play at a drunken LAN party. :p Personally, I'd love to see this make it in. I think it would be great fun to see a bunch of DBZ characters running around with mallets chasing a cricket.....or just smashing the hell out of each other with them. :p

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The fact that you're running around with a mallet chasing a cricket is what completely changes the game. I'm with NGE on this one. It sounds fun to you now, but I'm certain it's novelty will wear off pretty quickly. Chances are the people who are very good at normal esf will also be very good at this new gamemode, so get the whole "LOL WE GET TO PWN PROS NOW" idea outta your head.

Remember, advanced melee sounded like a good idea at first too.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Is changing it for a single mode really that much of a problem for you? If it was a suggestion for all modes then fair enough to not allow it in but it's for ONE MODE that you don't even have to play. Maybe for you the novelty would wear off quickly but doubtless there are some people out there who would prefer it to the normal gameplay. And I'm aware that pros will most likely be good at the new mode as well.

Advanced melee is for all modes whereas this is just a single game mode.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its not a big deal. Im just stating possibilities. It'll be like evm. Because of evm, there are like 4 servers we can play on. Once 1.3 comes out, evm will be gone. Will this new mode take the place of evm and once again divide the playerbase? If it catches on, yeah, it will.

Again, as I stated multiple times in various threads, I'd rather the team spent their time on the new melee system.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Well ever thought of making your own server? Solves all sorts of problems.

Sure I'd rather the team spent their time working on the melee and making sure it worked well and was fun but it would be cool to have this in too.

Best answers
$sj Goku said:
No swooping is possible... only sprinting + jumping(including wall-running and wall-jumping).. .
Ok when i said only sprinting And wall running is possibel i was refering to another 1 of my suggested ideas. The sprinting ISnt just the simple running The sprint is just as fast as the swoop except your On the ground running
This would make this game mode also fast and ridiculously competitive

The wall running is also a different idea i suggested they add in 1.3

IF your sprinting with the forward-arrow and you run next to a wall press the arrow that represents which side the wall is on.. so if the wall was on your left side youde press and hold the left arrow, iF it was on your right you press and hold the right arrow.. and to move up an down you look up and down with your mouse.. TO jump off just press jump..

This Mode in my opinion would be insanely fun + addictive and it doesn't slow the pace of the game down at all your moving as fast as a swoop but your not Flying your sprinting*(running on the ground)

This mode would also allow people to practice all the knew GROUND MELEE Ideas ive suggested if they are implemented in 1.3

Force Pit Member
Best answers
yea, more game modes the better, keeps players coming back for more. I still feel this game would be fun to play.

And who cares if some noobs might slightly out perform you in this game mode. *YOU* know that this isnt the game mode that set aparts skill, its a different way of playing, and an interesting way as well.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm with Zeo and NGE. They know what they're talking about. You guys need to actually play the game.

As of now due to EVM there are 3 good servers (American) to play on. With out EVM there would be around 7-10. That's a huge difference in the world of ESF. And a huge difference most of us need. It's boring fighting the same people over and over and over again. Which is why I quit. I can count on both hands the people i fought on a regular basis.

This game would take the place of EVM, such that you would see 5 servers be "kill that cricket!" and 3 be "ffa". Why would you want to chase a cricket or a monkey with a mallet anyway?

A different way of playing it is not. A mod changed for the worse it is. If you made it so that there are 2 teams, and they all had mallets, could swoop and fight and had to chase the cricket around and which ever team it it the most won, doesn't change the game, only the objective. What Jinx is suggesting is changing the game. It's like ctdb mode, you can still swoop, fight, kill, do anything you want, only the objective is changed.

Besides: what makes you think that the team is going to impliment this, very rarely is something suggested and looked highly upon. watch them bring it up in a meeting just to try and piss me off

Force Pit Member
Best answers
so we should never offer suggestions, because it might be turned down? Doesnt seem like logic to me. And no its not really a mod. This mode would just disable certain features offered in ffa melee, to make it balanced and work.

This same concept of disabling features, and enhancing others, is in the ctdb design documents right now for 1.3. It will make ctdb more fun to play.

We are not trying to change esf, its just a different way of playing. Oh, and the more modes the esf mod offers, the more potential players it could bring in.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I dont think its a very good idea... At first it sounds interesting and funny im sure it would be playing at first, but for the team to actually spend time on this would surprise me. As i said before it would be new and kinda cool at first but i doubt it would last more than a week and a half. after a month noone would be playing it because was just a short term minigame. People play esf just for esf and would eventually prefer esf, even if they want a change i believe this game mode at best would be an unpopular one for servers and maybe a short term remedy for players desperately bored of playing esf. Anyway if it would be some kind of thing that would come effortlessly it may be welcomed.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cap J said:
Well ever thought of making your own server? Solves all sorts of problems.

Sure I'd rather the team spent their time working on the melee and making sure it worked well and was fun but it would be cool to have this in too.
Oh yeah, sure. Making my own server would be awesome. Yeah. 0 ping vs. whatever ping everyone else has. Yeah, real fair. The point in us joining other servers is so everyone has relatively low ping in order for us to have a fair fight. A paid server also allows more people to play on the server. I doubt my private server would hold more than 4 people without my pc exploding.

New modes are fine and dandy, but when it completely changes the system to make the noobs happy (Damn straight, I said noobs), and takes away from the time the team could be spending on melee, its just not worth it.

It seems like most of these "new" ideas are geared toward noobs. I'm going to keep saying the word noob because thats exactly what they are. 1.2 isn't as great as 1.0/1.1 because it was geared towards noobs to attract more people. Thats fine, but in doing so they obliterated the old system and added ddr and a simpler simple melee. Are the noobs happy? No. They're still +++++ing and moaning about how hard and unfair this game is. They can not be pleased. Jinx, think of some ideas for the people who actually stuck around. Think up something that will make esf more appealing to people who want to get good at this game and to those who are already good.

I'm not against new ideas. I'm really not. I'm just against new ideas that are meant to attract the very same people who make me hate this game sometimes. Im also against ideas that serve no real purpose other than entertaining you for a short while. As I said before, everyone will either get bored of this mode within a week or it will divide the playerbase. Or both. Or the uber secret third option.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I dont think they geared the advanced melee and everything towards noobs, it just slightly backfired. Thats why now for 1.3, they are bringing back 1.1 movement (pressing mouse1 to swoop) with double tap, allowing for even more freedom. Think of it like double tap practice until it comes out.

And they are tweaking the whole arrow thing too for advanced melee. Nah, the player base wont be divided because its a different mode played under esf. Esf players dont classify each other as "ffa, team based, ctdb", you get the idea.

You say that there is a lack of players in esf, and yet more modes would appeal to more gamers, and eventually they will try the other modes in esf, like ffa. And if players are not in the mood to play esf ffa, they dont have to stop playing esf all together, just try out a new game mode.

Counter-strike is popular, for one reason, because it has many different game modes, in maps rather, like de_mapname, cs_mapname, fy_mapname. Most players consider the cs and fy maps to be noob friendly, but that doesnt bother or stop the pro's from playing their de_ maps. They just simply dont play on them. It appeals to many players because they can play what they want.

This works for all games. For every 1 pro gamer out there, there are 10 or even 100 noobs. Just need to learn to ignore them.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The difference between CS and ESF is about a gazillion servers. And how do I ignore noobs when 99% of the playerbase is comprised of them?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
For ingame , hud_saytext turns chat off, and you can turn off voice. Works good for me.

Best answers
See, this is why most people don't like this game, because of there isn't enough variety in the game. I've had about 6 or 7 friends quit ESF for reasons like "Doing the same thing gets boring after a while...". Have you noticed that games like Halo and Super Smash Bros. Melee have other game modes on it other than just killing each other? Look how they turned out, they're some of the most popular games in the world. You want to know why? Cause when you get bored of one thing, you can move to another, on ESF, when you get bored of Free For-All or Teamplay, you basically just quit till you think you want to play it again. Also, have you guys not noticed they're already adding other game modes? So how is adding ONE, just ONE, going to ruin the game? It's not like anybody is going to get a dedicated server to this game mode, unless they suck at the fighting and feel like paying the money for a server. For one more time, they're already adding other game modes, so even if this one isn't added, the outcome will be the same, as to what you guys think. What if a lot of people decide to dedicate their servers to Capture the Dragon Mode? Well, I guess you three are out of luck then, cause the same thing is happening right there.

Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
I'm with Zeo and NGE. They know what they're talking about. You guys need to actually play the game.

As of now due to EVM there are 3 good servers (American) to play on. With out EVM there would be around 7-10. That's a huge difference in the world of ESF. And a huge difference most of us need. It's boring fighting the same people over and over and over again. Which is why I quit. I can count on both hands the people i fought on a regular basis.
[/color]
OK this is really annoying how you guys are rejecting my ideas... stop rejecting them and try to figure a way to make it possible as an input in 1.3 that suites everyones needs/wants...

Here is my *idea* to solve all the babbling about how this *Game Mode* would divide the esf community..

Ok Why just have Map rotations? when you can have *Game mode rotations* ALSO?

It could work like so.. The team could make it possible to customize the Game mode rotations..

EXAMPLE:: GameMode: 1.CTDB [3] ..... (THe 3 represents how many times in a row the game mode will be used if 0 the game mode isn't playable and the "1." represents the position of order it's in.) The next could be GameMode: 2.FFA [2], Then onto GameMode: 3.BTC [1] (bash the cricket)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I like the idea alot you said ssj goku, how gamemodes can rotate on a server. And make it possible (if not already in) for the admin to do it in console.

Best answers
$sj Goku said:
Ok, this is really annoying how you guys are always rejecting my ideas...
To me, it seems like Fire Phoenix and Zeonix (not nge included) are just rejecting your ideas for the fun of it. Even if they like the idea, and so does everyone else, they'll still go against it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom