New Dragonballz series: Dragon Ball Super thoughts.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it's as bad as BOG (and presumably ROF), I don't want it.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Choose a better title for crying out loud. This is big news.

hleV, go pout in a corner. You don't have to watch it if you don't like it but I want my DB fix.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well here's hoping this is A) better than GT and B) the official "GT never ever happened show". Or that was some horrible version of the future, but we changed our minds and were like nope, that doesn't need to happen.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GT was never canon, so they just threw it out the window. This one is by Toriyama himself, so hype.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GT was better than BOG, though, and BOG's story was crafted by Toriyama. There's a difference in something being titled DB and something being as good as the original DB (which would be foolish to expect from the new series).

Edit: By DB I obviously mean the whole thing, as the original manga was not separated into DB and DBZ.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
From creativity shown in past few movies and news i'm really sceptical about how will it end up.

First we had red goku tranformation, then BOOM! Blue Hair. Noone would come up with something so original!!! Then this now; Dragon Ball Super. Too bad I'm too stupid to understand or see this new creative approaches....

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
From creativity shown in past few movies and news i'm really sceptical about how will it end up.

First we had red goku tranformation, then BOOM! Blue Hair. Noone would come up with something so original!!! Then this now; Dragon Ball Super. Too bad I'm too stupid to understand or see this new creative approaches....
Red hair boom then blue hair boom?? You call that original??
Not really there where models and paintings of Goku waaaay before the movies. Back then it was called SSJ6 or 7 or what ever. Its not new its just AF.
After BOG and now a new serie??
I think we got stuck with this new forms :(
And if this is true then I miss the original DB series when Goku was just a small kid.
At least then it was all about skills and now its all about power and having more power.
But I still hope DBS will do something right with this.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He was being sarcastic.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well a whole show can't be as bad as a single movie, or so i would like to think.

So with that state of mind i tend to say that they can't do much wrong with this show.
Yes it probably won't be as good as DB and Z but still...

People say GT is bad but it's dragonball and i liked it anyhow.
Well let's just hope they don't go full cgi and what not.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well a whole show can't be as bad as a single movie, or so i would like to think.
With Toriyama not having an editor to point out that his ideas are shit? It's gonna be a disaster. But then it might appeal to young boys, which is what DB has always been targeted for. It just won't have a lasting effect once one grows older and becomes able to tell what's shit and what's not.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
With Toriyama not having an editor to point out that his ideas are shit? It's gonna be a disaster. But then it might appeal to young boys, which is what DB has always been targeted for. It just won't have a lasting effect once one grows older and becomes able to tell what's shit and what's not.
Depends. I grew up with both DB and Z. If you compare DB and DBZ, DB, the classic is vastly superior to Z, in terms of story, characters and somehow even in one of the English dub version (lord knows how they screwed up Z so much in every version), but both had a lasting effect.

The difference is that as a kid I liked Z more (for the nonsense over the top action and the big explosions and golden hair) than DB, when now it's the other way around.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What does the comparison between DB and Z (which shouldn't be done in the first place as it's the same series originally) have to do with my point, or anything for that matter?

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering this is an anime and not a movie, they will have more time to flesh out characters and the story. I'd like to think it will be DBZ upgraded to the modern era. Also this quote,

Overseen by Dragon Ball’s original creator, Akira Toriyama and produced with Fuji Television
It doesn't look like he'll have full control which can be both bad and good simultaneously. I am hoping more of the later.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I feel like more effort would be put into an actual series compared to a movie. More time to develop an actual story and all that jazz.

I don't think this series will be controlled by Akira as DB/Z was in the past but I'm hoping that they don't exclude him from a lot of things with this new one.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What does the comparison between DB and Z (which shouldn't be done in the first place as it's the same series originally) have to do with my point, or anything for that matter?
Sigh,

DB appeals to Children, but it's smarter than it actually lets on. Has lasting effect.
DBZ appeals to Children, but in retrospect and looked at with a more critical eye, compared to DB, it's kind of stupid and goofy. Has lasting effect.

What I'm saying is, stupid has been done well before. The new show will probably not be at the level of DB, but hopefully it will be close to Z.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering this is an anime and not a movie, they will have more time to flesh out characters and the story. I'd like to think it will be DBZ upgraded to the modern era. Also this quote,

It doesn't look like he'll have full control which can be both bad and good simultaneously. I am hoping more of the later.
The series will follow the story and characters written by Toriyama, you're probably not using a valid source.

Sigh,

DB appeals to Children, but it's smarter than it actually lets on. Has lasting effect.
DBZ appeals to Children, but in retrospect and looked at with a more critical eye, compared to DB, it's kind of stupid and goofy. Has lasting effect.

What I'm saying is, stupid has been done well before. The new show will probably not be at the level of DB, but hopefully it will be close to Z.
It's the same series, done by the same author and editors. Comparing DB and DBZ still has nothing to do with anything.

Is this because I used "DB" instead of "DB and DBZ" when I said that it appeals to children? I use DB as a whole. Z is anime thing.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
I just hope it focuses more on the story, you know interesting enemies and stuff rather than the power ups.

Discord Member
Best answers
What they need to do to make this a success (both critically and commercially) is to encapsulate the overall atmosphere and story telling of the Future Trunks Arc. If they put no effort in, then you'll know because it'll be just a carbon copy of the Freiza saga, for example. An anime about people beating up people for episodes upon episodes with no story in between will just completely flop - it's 2015, and there is a bar that DBS must reach in order to do well.

What I would personally like to see in this series is more detail in the animation. If you go back and look at DBZ ect, you can see that there is a lot more attention to detail with what they drew. Closeups had multiple levels of shading, and other such things. BoG had none of this detail - it was done digitally, so it's naturally easier for them, yet it looks like they half assed it. All the eyes are homogeneous with each other - they're these gross, perfectly shaped boxes and I don't like them. Then there is the fact that the overly animation was just so simplified; there is no triple level shading, it's all just one layer, and then if you're lucky they'll put one more in on certain shots.

I mean, BoG is a movie! I'd understand if the new series wasn't very detailed, but movies are meant to be the best possible representation of the content in question, and BoG fell short on this. The best example of how cheaply made BoG was, can be seen in their poor attempt of implementing 3D models into the film. I am referring to any and all the 360 panning shots the film used - in every one of them, they removed the 2D images and plopped in some jarring 3D models. Why do thiis? Because it's cheaper and quicker, that's why.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
For me this personally this clip captures the essence of what DB means to me. If the new show is anything like this, I'm on board 100%.

[video=youtube;p84nBxAwQOs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84nBxAwQOs[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom