NES just wtfpwn my self esteem

Best answers
I went back and hooked up my nes. *wow it still works well semi anyone owned a nes knows that sometimes it gives that stupid pink screen*

I was thinking to myself. I am going to pwned this. My gaming skills are far ahead of this 2d stuff...

I started with marble madness. Omg that game is hard

then started with blaster master. stupid boss owns me

how the hell did i beat this stuff? Is it me or does todays game seem easy? I mean compare to nes games that they tried to make games tough and enjoyable. Now today they leave out the tough and added graphics/enjoyable

I mean the hardest gta mission has nothing on the 5th stage of marble madness

kung fu another tough nes game that puts metal gear solid to shame with its hard factor. Hell even the superman game ownz me.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, I know how you feel Night, every once in a while I get a wild hair up my ass and feel the need to play NES games. I don't even think I've made it past the third level on Marble Madness. It's damn interesting to try and beat these games.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Today's games are just too easy. Back in the days of the NES games were designed to challenge you, not awe you with computer graphics and flashy moves. Go back and play the original final fantasy on nintendo if you want a challenging role playing game. Try going back and playing through the original super mario brothers and see how well you do. Today's games are designed from the ground up to be easy enough for everyone to beat, not just the hardcore gamers. Companies design their games so that they wont be frustrating and that way more people will buy them. Even the "hard" modes in most games don't compare to the normal modes of nintendo games.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i would prefer a hard game than flashy graphics...

for instance Prince of Persia the sands of time.... was well... easy. but the old prince of persias were so freggin hard it almost boggles the mind.

same goes for zelda games. anyone else think that the final boss in ocarina of time was a joke compared to those in the original?

Best answers
People these days like easy games that dont fustrate them. Look at Viewtiful Joe, people complained that it was too hard. Now they're releasing an updated Viewtiful Joe that is easier to please the crowd.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love graphics, I'm very grateful that games are looking better day by day, but I also like to be challenged. Max Payne 2.. loved it... beat all three difficulties in about 2 days. I love games that have both good graphics and are challenging. Example : Halo ( on the hardest difficulty). That game is just rediculously hard, but I love it for that reason.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yep, but your thread was on a specific game and not the broad range of hard NES games.

Ninja Gaiden... 2, I believe it is was also a hard one for me. After a few weeks of practice I could make it to the higher levels but I would always die. It wasn't until just recently that I've realized how many levels that game actually has, I was only about a third of the way through.

Best answers
hardest game i ever played on nintendo was ninja turtles, as hard as i try i still cant pass that warehouse level :/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Has anyone played BattleToads for super nintendo? That was a pretty hard game... and extremely fun.

Best answers
I might be only 12 (im still allowed here right?) but when i was like 4-5 i played NES and all that ****, and if u compare NES and todays games...I'll leave u guys to that! We ALL know that NES was a helluva lot harder.

Games these days are too easy, atleast i think so, and thats not good for me, cuz im beginning to get soft, u know?

E.X:
one day i played DoA3 at a friend on his x-box, and i think like "Muahaha! Im gonna own this black box!"........30 mins later, guess whos getting his ass handed to him?

*sigh* Dont make 'em like they used to.

Best answers
It's true, some games back then were pretty damn hard...but like phatslugga pointed out, some of todays games are hard as **** too. I know I could never beat all of Halo on its hardest setting by myself, I have to co-op. It's all a matter of balance, yeah today's games focus more on flashy graphics or cool gameplay over difficulty, but thats the market. I know I miss the difficulty of some games...but I don't miss being brought near tears by battletoads because I couldnt move my hoverbike fast enough to avoid those damn concrete barriers. It's a sacrafice we all have taken, and I personally am not that upset with it.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ever stop to thinkthat you played those games all the time back then. Now days you play these gaems all the time. If you just give yourself some time with those old games, you will be owning and pawnage in no time.

Example: Yoshi's Island

I beat it a few weeks ago in about 2 weeks. (full time during weekends, and all the time when I came home form school
But I got mostly 70 scores.

Back a few years ago, I could play it in a couple hours and mostly 80-100 scores. Its just on how your mind is focused. When you see things more often, you want to play that way more.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It isn't an issue of not having been good at games back then, it was just an issue of them being harder than today's games. We were just as good at those consoles then as we are with PC games today. Sure, our reflexes have improved, but we haven't evolved into cyborg ninjas. Those games were just difficult, but they managed to keep things fun all the while. Today games seem to either frustrate you with merciless amounts of cheap AI or they just give all of the enemies brain damage and guns that do less damage than yours. Today's hard is yesterday's easy setting for gamers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, this is painfully obvious. That's really why I started to hate console gaming, it's all too easy and there are about 10000000000 games spread out over 3 NAZI systems.

I love my NES & SNES and Playstation was O.K.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually beat Halo on it's hardest level ^_^ but ya I got playing one of my old nes games and I noticed that my games on the newer console I have are easier.Than my nes games. ^^

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to talk about a game having difficulty try Doom Troopers for SNES, that was HARD!

I can agree on the game market today being all about eye candy and what not, but like what was posted earlier, there are some hard games out there. To me it seems like this generation (X-Box, Ps2, G-Cube) are all about graphical improvements, instead of difficulty and accuracy. The games are mostly very short and require less effort than ever before. It's like games or systems are just in the transitional stage of whats coming next. Games and systems that have the flashy graphics but are painstakingly difficult and very long. Who knows by 2005 we all might change our minds.

I did notice that almost all the games that were listed were basicly 2d platform games. We all know those games gave you less powers and more enemies to deal with, all while trying to land on "platforms" that were either very small or barely within jumping distance. Some of those games even forced you to constantly move (due the game horizontally scrolling) and had very fast paced music that made your heart rate increase. Their was rythem to the enemies you had to figure out or you would jump to your death or get shot up (sometimes it only took one shot)

What made those games difficult is that were no checkpoints, few if any continues, and you couldn't save your progress. Once you started the game you had to finish it. Just think of all the games that have come out since the Atari, some of us have spent their whole lives playing and improving our skills with video games :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You want hard, try fighting Mike Tyson at the end of Mike Tyson's Super Punch Out!! for nes. One uppercut knocks you down. It's possible and most likely that on your first few tries, you will get TKO'D in six seconds flat.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hwoarang hit on a good point. Today's games let you save as often as you want and whenever you want because the systems you play on are capable of that kind of thing. If we couldn't save before every enemy encounter some of us would give up gaming altogether because of the tediousness of starting over again. On Nintendo and consoles like that the levels were just long enough to piss you off if you had to start them over, but rarely so long that you would just quit altogether. In a game like Deus Ex if you had to start over from the beginning of the stage every time you died it would get tedious and frustrating fast, but at least you'd start paying more attention to what you were doing. I can't tell you how many times I've quick-saved before going into a room, or quick-saved and then blown stuff up to see which route was the safest. Today's games don't really work to make you afraid of dying.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Hwoarang hit on a good point. Today's games let you save as often as you want and whenever you want because the systems you play on are capable of that kind of thing. If we couldn't save before every enemy encounter some of us would give up gaming altogether because of the tediousness of starting over again. On Nintendo and consoles like that the levels were just long enough to piss you off if you had to start them over, but rarely so long that you would just quit altogether. In a game like Deus Ex if you had to start over from the beginning of the stage every time you died it would get tedious and frustrating fast, but at least you'd start paying more attention to what you were doing. I can't tell you how many times I've quick-saved before going into a room, or quick-saved and then blown stuff up to see which route was the safest. Today's games don't really work to make you afraid of dying.

Ah, forgot about that, so very very true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom