Neon Evangelion: End of the Evangelion

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was watching it on TV a week ago and I thought it was freaky.

Spoiler [ not really but don't look if you haven't seen it yet ;O]
I was confused on what the movie ment but it was acually about love and not a type of war that was going on. I did show some parts of it though. What got me disgusted was the flying guts and blood. I can't handle that, but can anyone tell me what were those 12 computers/stoneheads?

Yeah, pretty wierd.. o_O

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've seen almost every episode, and also End of Evangelion (one of my favo anime's ^^ )

Here's a huge spoiler, it could be incorrect, but here's what I know from what i've seen.

Highlight to see it, and delete it you are gonna quote me.

The series ARE about a kind of war, a war against the angels, at least creatures that are called "angels", where they came from I don't know yet, maybe I find out later, but from what I know, is that Doctor Ikari wanted humanity to get as close as God, they wanted to become as high as God himself.

They once found an angel in the artics, wich exploded, (that was the second impact), and to prevent a third one, they created the EVA's to stop them.

BUT, that's not entirely true, they created the EVA's only to come as heigh as God, why? I don't know, probably some madman's idea,

Anyways, The series is about the EVA's trying to stop the Angels, those big monsters, because if one angel makes contact with Adam, the angel that Nerv captured, that humankind would be eradicated.

Now, in end of eva, Rei emerges in Adam (in my version they called him Lillith o_0), and she/he turns into some HUGE angel.

Then Shinji, who is captured by the other angels, turns into the tree of life (or it wraps around him?) and he becomes something that Kouzou Fuyutsuki called "God", then he gets into some weird dream/reality world, and the rest, well you know what happened.

And those stone heads? I think they were computers, wich people used to communicate with eachother, but I just seen the series recently, have to watch them again, me likes ^^

I btw didn't mind the gory stuff at all.

Sorry if I'm not fully correct, or entirely wrong, correct me if this is the case.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't watched it in a while, but I have to contend one of your points, jp.

Spoiler:

"Anyways, The series is about the EVA's trying to stop the Angels, those big monsters, because if one angel makes contact with Adam, the angel that Nerv captured, that humankind would be eradicated."

I believe ADAM was the Angel that exploded and caused the second impact, Lilith was the Angel they captured with the lance which they used to research the Angels and replicate to create the EVA's.

The 'stone heads' were a special organization (not the Government or NERV) who want the Third Impact to happen so that humanity can be reborn according to the 'Dead Sea Scrolls'. That is why they attack NERV headquarters and destroy their defences; to allow the Angels easier access to the depths of NERV Headquarters - to Lilith.

The Third Impact happens and they turn into that orange liquid (bakelite?), the only two humans to have survived the impact were in EVA's at the time (Shinji and Asuka), Rei having merged with Lilith since.

Like you, I haven't watched it in a while so my facts might be a bit off, but that was my interpretation of the events. I'm tempted to dig out my old DVD's and watch it again now.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahhh,

That's it Ravendust, heh, I kinda forgot about that :3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, Ravendust has nailed it right on the head.

Anyways, have you not watched the series yet DJ? You should get on that. For one, the movie would make much more sense, and two, it's just a really good show.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Some random stuff

Yeah Adam was the angel that they were experimenting on when 2nd impact happened (if you ever watched Death and Rebirth, that's one of the scenes)

The mask that Lilith wears has 7 eyes on it, "the 7 eyes of god"

'Seele' (the organization that is always complaining to Ikari about his progress) is actually the german word for "soul", also "nerv" is the german word for "nerve" :p

"the only two humans to have survived the impact were in EVA's at the time (Shinji and Asuka), Rei having merged with Lilith since."
----------
Well, Rei is not completely human, she's a hybrid of Yui (Ikari's dead wife) and Lilith. She also dies TWICE during the series, and a clone replaces her each time. Due to her cold personality, nobody knows her well enough to notice.

Asuka actually DIES when her Eva is speared apart by the s2-engine-equipped Evas, probably because her synchro ratio was so high (they actually show her arm splitting down the center when the same thing happens to Unit-02)

Also, during the 2nd half of EoE, Rei explains to Shinji that he has the power to reject instrumentality, and that any (now-dead) human also has the ability to return to mortal form should they so choose. This doesn't explain why only Asuka and Shinji are seen at the end (maybe other people returned at different places?), although Asuka seems to hate being around other people, so I can understand why she would reject something where everyone is a part of everyone else and become a mortal again. :p
----------

Also, Rei merging with Lilith wasn't the big thing, it was the fact that Rei contained Adam (from Ikari's hand) at the time.

My interpretation and my $0.02

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
aah .. gotta love the complexity of NGE
However, before even thiking of watching one of the two NGE movies, you should watch the series at least twice (since there is like no way to get it from watching it only one time ;))
But when you really got the idea of the series, there is no real need to watch the movies anymore.

<3 NGE

Best answers
I remember when I watched this show and Koort tried to explain it all to me...I still don't quite get it myself, I guess I need to watch the whole series over again, though I don't really have the time to.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Me wubs teh series.

Yes, its very complex, but I don't think its too hard to understand, if you just see every episode, you can understand what's it all about, if you only see the movie, well then you won't understand it at all.

I don't know many anime's wich are that complex.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess I'll use the white text too.

I'm under the impression that humans in Eva were the result of Lilith, not Eve, which would make them demons according to the bible. This would also explain why Adam was an 'angel,' and not a human. The thirteenth angel calls Shinji a Lillum, and as per christian cult mythos, the egg of Lilith emerges from the moon and begins to suck humanity back into it towards the end of the movie. Shinji ends up changing his mind, allowing humans to exist independantly of one another, and kills Lilith, ending her... uh... egg-sucking-ness. Anyway, if humans spawned from Lilith, that would classify them as demons. As God would have spited said demons, and theoretically even attempted to send angels to destroy them (I'm honestly still a bit sketchy as to the ultimate purpose of each individual angel outside of stopping the Evangelion project), man would attempt to engineer his own God in order to have something greater than himself serve to acknowledge his existence.

As for the forbidden fusion of Adam and Lilith, I'm not entirely sure what that signifies. Lilith rejected Adam to begin with and was banished, I presume forcing them together was supposed to create something that would give birth to the true human form as God initially intended it?

Perhaps it would all come to me more clearly if I were to fall down an elevator shaft and dream about it in a coma.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Woah, this anime is starting to sound interesting... more than Naruto *cough*. :O

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
Woah, this anime is starting to sound interesting... more than Naruto *cough*. :O
It is.

Then again, it stops after 26 eps =/

I gues the most short anime's are better then those 200 eps anime's, I myself think that NGE is better then Naruto, but Naruto has Kakashi, so its cool too ^ ^

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Generally* shorter animes have more of an objective. They (generally) have a beginning, climax, and an end, which can be far more satisfying than eagerly awaiting the collection of all 15345234 magical shard pieces or witnessing the drawn out 40 episode defeat of uber villian #597. 26 episodes and a movie is pretty good as far as an entertaining objective oriented story based anime is concerned.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's two or three movies depending on how you look at it. Death which can be most accutely described as a 'mind ****', Rebirth which is the first half of End of Evangelion ending on a cliffhanger, and EoE itself.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It didn't help that the guy who made Eva was on LSD :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently in one of the movies there's a montage of hatemail he recieved as feedback from the last episode. I haven't watched the movies since reading that though. Makes sense, i'd be pissed off if it had ended on 26 rather than EoE, but why he'd want to include it in one of the movies is beyond me.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Apparently in one of the movies there's a montage of hatemail he recieved as feedback from the last episode. I haven't watched the movies since reading that though. Makes sense, i'd be pissed off if it had ended on 26 rather than EoE, but why he'd want to include it in one of the movies is beyond me.
White text again.

If you didn't figure it out from the way everyone was murdered and the world was ended in the movie, it was both a series conclusion and a slap to the face of his fans. People loved it, but he massacred everyone's characters and turned Shinji into a God. It is often interpreted as his special animated "go to hell."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oi, oi, there's a lot going on in this thread. Let's start from the beginning:

First impact. This is when Lillith's egg (the black moon) crashes into the earth, displacing matter that flies into space to become the moon. At the end, Lillith's egg doesn't emerge from the moon. It emerges from earth. This is the egg that humanity supposedly comes from, and returns to.

Second impact. Adam, the first angel, is found in Antarctica. When they made contact and attempted to contain him, he self-destructed, and was then reduced to an embryo collected by the experimental research team (GEHIRN, which later becomes NERV). The explosion destroys the ice caps, causes massive flooding. Scarcity of food causes the world to break out in massive wars, Tokyo gets hit by an N-2 bomb (a massive conventional [non-nuclear] bomb), etc. etc. Eventually peace is found after half the world's population died. It should be noted that Adam looked very much like Evangelions, and all Evas except unit 01 are cloned from Adam.

Lillith is the crucified angel inside of Terminal Dogma. She is pierced by the Lance of Longinus, and from her wound constantly bleeds LCL (not bakelite), the matter which makes up all life. Until Kaworu tells them much later in the series, a lot of people in NERV believe that it's actually Adam, which is why you might have some confusion. In truth, the embryo of Adam is implanted inside of Gendo's hand using bakelite, which is why he sticks it inside of Rei in the movie.

The purpose of NERV, at the surface, was to defend earth against attack from the angels. The true purpose of NERV was the Human Instrumentality project, headed by SEELE (i.e the "stone heads") who are supposedly made up by ancient biblical figures or something. Their goal is an artificial evolution of mankind, because they believed that if mankind could not evolve, it would perish. This evolution involves the removal of AT fields. AT fields are that which seperates one soul from another, creating individuality as well as suffering. The AT field of an Eva however is actually the soul of the child pilot's mother (all the pilots had a dead mother to protect them.) Evas are biomechanical *organisms*, sentient clones of an angel, but the mechanical aspect of them keeps them under control. When Lillith creates her massive anti-AT field at the end, she removes all AT fields and thus unites the souls of humanity. Well, except for Shinji, because he's God.

It should also be noted that humans ARE angels. The last angels. The Angels that appear are basically humans that never took human form.... although really not a lot gets explained about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom