Needs Coding Help!

Best answers
I got told to come here to post this!...I need help programming, I have BC++ and i dont understand it, i wanted to get Windows Visual C++5 but i cant find it!!!! Any Help would help.... also its for my mod called PFX, So if anyone wants to help out i would be grateful!....

G-S

Best answers
You can't get that compiler for free. For halflife mods, you'll need Visual C++ 6. I suggest you get a student license for it. That should cost you under $50.

Best answers
Right i understand, em will i need an SDK? because the tutorial i found says i need an SDK as well? Im not a student yet, (15) But thats for that help harsen

G-S

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok ive never really understood what the SDK does what is it, i know it allows ya to do alot more stuff with the game engine but thats all i know

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by L33T ha4or
ok ive never really understood what the SDK does what is it, i know it allows ya to do alot more stuff with the game engine but thats all i know
SDK stands for service development kit, well im not so sure on what the "S" stands for but im pritty sure im correct on the "D" and "K". Basically it lets you change stuff on the game i believe.

BrunO

Best answers
the SDK stands for Software Development Kit, anyone no how to use it? It could help me a bit!

G-S

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically it's the standardized add ons for mods, (HLTV, Voice, Spectator), and it has hints on all aspects of altering some of the HL engine and it's various aspects . . . Including code samples from the engine. You could mod without it . . . but that would be silly. They give this to people who purchase the HL engine to make a retail game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah but what it itself does as in is it some sort of password thing that allows ya to access the game engine or is it some sort of code converter, cus i knew it allowed ya to mess with the game more but how exactly it does it is what i wanna know and thanks for the other stuff ya told me :)

Best answers
I Recon thats about the Just of it but i think it allows you to edit things in the HL game and then re-save it. Im not sure, im downloading it now. So i will get back to you when its done and tell you what its like.

I Hope its User Friendly...:D

G-S

Best answers
The SDK give's you the code for a standard half-life mod. You change that code to whatever you need/want.

The SDK isn't user friendly

Best answers
It has everything you need to modify half life. Code for the dlls, maps, models, and pretty much everything. You cant just make a dll for half life with out knowing everything you have to export in the dll and all the standard functions. So instead of just having a txt file telling you they have complete source with all the examples you need. This makes it easy for newbs and for veternes alike. If harsens wants to add onto what I said maybe he can explain even better. He is after all waaaaaaayyyyy 1337er a coder than me.

Banned
Banned
Best answers
Originally posted by L33T ha4or
yeah but what it itself does as in is it some sort of password thing that allows ya to access the game engine or is it some sort of code converter, cus i knew it allowed ya to mess with the game more but how exactly it does it is what i wanna know and thanks for the other stuff ya told me :)
All it really contains is information..
It's a kit to help people make a mod..
It doesn't give you any special passwords or whatnot..
just a helping hand.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when they say the coding for each game is different, well theres a few things i wanna know

and is it all coded through C++ but it has to be set out different (this is why the SDK is needed)

is the code really all that different, cus it would really suck for every game ya work on ya have to learn a different code (i just think that would be a real pain in the arse)

and thanks chimp

Best answers
code is different for every game, therein lies the beauty and the beast as one. C/C++ is so flexible you could do almost anything and atleast 50 different ways, making it perfect for games. but this flexibility generates a problem, no one does it the same, every code is different and you must learn how the programmer sets it up, fortunatly the human laziness solves most of this as now one engine is developed then it is licensed and everybody uses it till a new on comes along, example: the Quake engine powered almost every fps, HL included, until the Quake 3 engine came out and now they use it, JK2, Max Payne all kinds of games too not just FPS, play Age of empires then Star Wars Battle Grounds, they are so identicle its not fun.
so yes you do have to learn every code for every game, but once you have got down the one for that engine all the others using it come quickly...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thanks i hope a new super engine comes out cus a really hate the Q3A engine its so ghey ya can instantly tell any game that uses it, everything looks too round and well.... just generally ghey

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom