Need your help on a small experiment

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, so for school I need to do this psychology experiment. And I was hoping some of you guys would like to help me with it. It shouldn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes, I have a short questionnaire I want you to fill out, it's about the events that occurred on September 11, 2001.

Anyone can join (it doesn't matter what country you live in, what your age is or your gender is), and I would greatly appreciate it if you could also perhaps ask your mother, father, sister, brother, who-have-you to participate as well (especially any women you know, so I can get a somewhat good representation, seeing as how 99% of the ESF forum go-ers are men. :p ).

Here's the link, if you want to participate:
https://homepages.avans.nl/~majbrand1/psychologie/enversion.html

Thanks in advance.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Done that i forgot to put that i had to go to see a phsycoligist to help me after seeing all that and then i went on a fear of flying course to get over the fears

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Done.
I hope more people help you with this I'm kind of curious what the final result and your conclusions will be once you decided you got enough people to fill out your questionnaire.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Much appreciated guys, you've been a great help so far. I too am very interested in what the outcome will be. Basically, it's 2 experiments in one. I'll definitely try to post some results here. Sadly though, I can't get a huge amount of people to join before I have to make my paper for school. Still, I hope the results are interesting, and I can always continue doing this experiment, even after I have done my paper.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the idea, but I dislike the last question. Media coverage is almost inescapable. Regardless of whether I wanted to watch news coverage, I would be inundated to the point where exposure was practically inavoidable. Its almost impossible for me to say with any certainty how much I was exposed to within 24 hours, and how much of it was the same regurgitated report. I would expand upon that point, because it doesnt reveal anything about my psychology in exposing myself to said media.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the idea, but I dislike the last question. Media coverage is almost inescapable. Regardless of whether I wanted to watch news coverage, I would be inundated to the point where exposure was practically inavoidable. Its almost impossible for me to say with any certainty how much I was exposed to within 24 hours, and how much of it was the same regurgitated report. I would expand upon that point, because it doesnt reveal anything about my psychology in exposing myself to said media.
That's because the actual experiment is to see if there is any difference in how much information is retained in your mind, between men and women. Supposedly, women have a far better 'flashbulb' memory, allowing them to retain more vivid memories of certain events. The big question being, how much can you still remember, and how vivid are those memories.

Then the second experiment popped into my mind. Would there be any actual difference between people from Europe, and people from America. My hypothesis says, yes of course. It would have been nice if I could also take this questionnaire with American women (so I could check the difference between European and American women, and from other countries of course), sadly, I don't know many American women though (in fact, I think I only know one).

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
9/11 may have been a bad choice because of how out of place, spectacular and rare an event it was.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
9/11 may have been a bad choice because of how out of place, spectacular and rare an event it was.
That's the exact point of flashbulb memory though. With spectacular, surprising and shocking news, you make 'snapshots' of the event. Seeing as how there aren't that many events that occurred in a similar way, I took 9/11. Others would've been the JFK assassination, NASA Challenger shuttle crash, John Lennon assassination. But those are just way to old for me to do a small experiment on.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I stand corrected.

After reading up on the concept, I have a few questions. How do you test flash bulb memory without testing the accuracy of the person's memories? What they were drinking and doing is irrelevant if you can't be certain those are the things they actually did. If it isn't irrelevant, let me know why. Why not ask people to describe 9/11 as it occurred in their memory, and then compare that to what actually happened (holographic airplanes, sasquatch-guided missiles and ufos included)? Are you going to separate people who were actually there from those who saw it on television 14 states away, or across the pond? Does it count as a flashbulb memory if someone has seen the footage 14 million times? Are they thrown out of the study?

I'm not being a ****. I'm asking for my benefit.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I stand corrected.

After reading up on the concept, I have a few questions. How do you test flash bulb memory without testing the accuracy of the person's memories? What they were drinking and doing is irrelevant if you can't be certain those are the things they actually did. If it isn't irrelevant, let me know why. Why not ask people to describe 9/11 as it occurred in their memory, and then compare that to what actually happened (holographic airplanes, sasquatch-guided missiles and ufos included)? Are you going to separate people who were actually there from those who saw it on television 14 states away, or across the pond? Does it count as a flashbulb memory if someone has seen the footage 14 million times? Are they thrown out of the study?

I'm not being a ****. I'm asking for my benefit.
Well, I'm following an education to become a Usability designer/graphic designer, so we don't go too in depth on our psychology researches. But you do make some interesting notes. One thing you always need to do when you make a psychological experiment paper, is to make recommendations on what the next tester should do, and some of the things you said should certainly be looked into, so I'd like to thank you for that :p.

- I cannot be 100% certain on the statements that are given. I can only make assumptions, it was early in the morning/midday and it was an ordinary work day, so I can assume that most people would not be drunk at that given moment (although, again, I can never be certain about that).

- Although it would be interesting to check how memories get 'deformed' over time and compare it to what actually happened, it is not really 100% relevant in this experiment. I am more interested in how vivid the stated memories are, and what the difference between men and women are. (as said, supposedly, women should have a lot more vivid memories. So far, I have yet to see anything of this statement come true though.)

- For the second experiment (which is more something I was interested in, not my main experiment, although I will probably include it in my paper), I think I am going to divide it into three groups. Those who were (relatively) close to ground zero, though who were across the States, and those who were outside of the States. Interested to see how proximity affects vividness of ones memories. Though, to make an accurate assumption, I will probably need far more people to join the questionnaire. The amount of people that I have now is about enough to make my paper, but not nearly enough to make some valid statements.

- Interesting note you make about having seen the footage multiple times. I do believe though that, unless you saw the footage a couple of days ago, you will much rather think about the time you actually saw the event, rather than footage you saw a week after the disaster. This is my opinion though, but it is certainly something I should look into.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Is it bad that I lied, and said I was a 12 year old girl at the time losing my virginity to my father while listening to it on the radio?

Lol, jk. But seriously, that's what I wrote.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it bad that I lied, and said I was a 12 year old girl at the time losing my virginity to my father while listening to it on the radio?

Not bad at all, you're supposed to tell the truth afterall, no matter how bad it is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

That should make for some interesting results. I wonder what my teacher will think of that. Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom