Need some Illustrator help; going mad here!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys, I'm trying out some things in Illustrator, and I just can't get it right. There is probably a really easy solution to this, but I have been at it for quite some while now and I can't seem to fix this. Basicaly, I am trying to join 2 lines, but it just keeps getting messed up:

The 2 lines I am trying to join.

The 2 lines joined with a crack between them as wide as the buttcrack of the average construction worker.

I've tried starting the second straight line from the anchor point displayed by the 2 guide lines, and I have tried drawing a seperate line and joining them using Object > Path > Join. Both end up with the same buttcrack, and I have tried some other things, but none of them has made a smooth transition between the 2 lines.

Anyone know what I need to do, or what I am doing wrong here?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im no illustrator user nor was i ever, but is there any chance to set the anchor point for the line from the middle of the line to the edge. Cause that seems to be the problem you have.

They are connected in the middle rather than the top edge.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
select both points where the 2 lines end and try right clicking options.. dont remember the right ones..

you have options there, just research a little

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im no illustrator user nor was i ever, but is there any chance to set the anchor point for the line from the middle of the line to the edge. Cause that seems to be the problem you have.

They are connected in the middle rather than the top edge.
As far as I know you can't no. Because basicaly what Illustrator does, is allow you to draw paths, and then it outlines those paths with a black (or whatever color you choose) stroke with a specified thickness. But that is exactly the problem I have. If there is a way to do that, I would really like to know. :p Because I am having the problem in different parts of my Illustrator drawing as well:

No ugly buttcracks here, but it is essentially the same problem.

select both points where the 2 lines end and try right clicking options.. dont remember the right ones..

you have options there, just research a little
I have researched, and I failed to come up with anything. Otherwise I wouldn't post here. The right clicking options give me the exact same options in the top bar, none of which work. Join, Average..., Arrange commands, none do what I want, and the other options are irrelevant to what I am trying to do.

Last edited:
Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont have illustrator anymore, cant help you beside the tip i gave.. its there, I dont remember how, I hate illustrator btw

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have just decided; so do I. Illustrator is probably great when you want to do some lineart and you have a tablet, great way to get some vector images. But in terms of usability, the program is utter ****. Thanks anyway, Denz.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want easy vector art, use something like Inkscape.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After an additional 2 hours of messing around in Illustrator, I finally managed to do it. By changing the alignement of the 2 anchor points and changing the stroke it finally looks like the corner I wanted. This is probably not the right nor the fastest way to do it, but hey, you won't hear me complaining. ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haven't used illustrator in ages, but IIRC there should be some options that change how corners are handled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom