need opinions/facts

Best answers
ok i am upgrading my pc soon, but im torn between this, get the 7800 GTX or the Radeon X1800 XT when it comes out (NOV 5).....from what i can see nvidia's is the best for doom 3 and such, but radeon is better for half life 2 and such. from what i saw when the 7800 GTX beat the radeon it was only by 5-10 FPS.....so im here asking what do you guys think i should get?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't really looked at the X1800 XT much, but It's pretty safe to say that there really isn't gonna be too much difference between the two. Either one will be totally kick-ass. So personally I'd go for the 7800 GTX, because im pretty sure it's gonna be cheaper than the X1800 XT (though, I could be entirely wrong, so you might wanna wait till someone who has been keeping up with it to respond).

Actually, the 7800 has one major advantage over its ATI counterpart, you can actually buy it. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, the 7800 has one major advantage over its ATI counterpart, you can actually buy it. :p
This is usually a deciding factor when people buy things.

Fact: you cannot buy the X1000s yet.
Fact: the X1800XT out performs the 7800 GTX by a comfortable margin.
sssss->Source: Tom's Hardware
Guess: The X1800 will be more expensive as ATI knows it has a winner here.

Also, what computer are you running? Theres no point in blowing $500 on a card that is only going to be slowed down by everthing else.

Hope this answered your questions.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering that he is looknig into these gfx cards, he must have a mainboard with pci express. Considering that the X1000 series is a much better card from a technology view on things, I would purchase a X1000 series card (except, if you do end up having only enough to afford a X1800 XL, you might want to get a 7800gt instead).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:

Also, what computer are you running? Theres no point in blowing $500 on a card that is only going to be slowed down by everthing else.

Hope this answered your questions.
Well looky looky! The only benchmarks I had ever seen were the less than steller ones that were the center of that whole fiasco a while ago (im sure you know what I'm talking about).

Anyways, ATI's new card does seem like the better card, so unless it is an unreasonable amount of money (which I doubt it will be), then I don't see why you shouldn't get it. Unless of course the rest of your computer isn't up to snuff like frsrblch said.

Best answers
Well really, I cant tell you much about the X1000 series, It sounds to me like the card is as good as the 7800GTX, if not, better. So If I were you then I would go for the X1000, if you have the money. But if you dont, then go get the 7800GTX, on account that its cheaper, however both cards are perfectly fine so either purchase would be a happy one. Just be sure to get a mobo with PCI express though or else you wont be so happy.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
The X1800XT will be ALOT more expensive then the 78000GTX.

The X1800XT will be very hard to get since the yields they are getting are very worse

Also ATi isnt very well known for their drivers :p

Best answers
well i will be on the hunt the DAY it comes out if anything lol heres what ill be upgrading to

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
GIGABYTE GA-K8NU SLI

and either one of those gfx cards.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:

Yea you can. X1800XL is for sale as we speak.
They will be beating and losing to one another as with every generation.
It will be around the same price as the 7800GTX was when it was first released ;).

Saiyan_Overlord said:
Considering that the X1000 series is a much better card from a technology view on things
Nay, the X1800 series has just as much, if not under, support for SM3 and other technologies as the 7800(or 6800 for that matter).

Also ATi isnt very well known for their drivers :p
Their driver support is excellent these days from what I've heard/read/and used. Stop dwelling on the past ;). If you're talking about their OpenGL, though, they could use some improvements, but they have just released beta drivers which gives ~35% more fps in OpenGL games with AA for the X1800 series due to improved memory controller settings, giving it the crown in Doom 3 with AA :D.

So, if you want my opinion, either will be excellent for you. Personally, I'd go for the 7800GT or GTX as they are both readily available and you've already got the SLI board, meaning crossfire is out of the question.

Best answers
will i notice a difference in games when i play them? as in will one card have more effect then the other? or are they equals?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, you're not going to switch from one card to the other and go "OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE." You may notice that you get 45 fps in a section while the other gets 48. You may notice one is a little better with antialiasing around certain edges than the other, but it's not going to be major. They both offer some form of transparent antialiasing, so that's really nice, but I'd still go with the 7800 series.

Best answers
ok im hearing a lot more go for the 7800 on other forums as well lol i think ill go for it =) thanks for the help everyone , cant wait to get this all ordered and put in my pc lol im also adding a 200 GB HDD, so ill have 360 GB's of space

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom