Need advice, taking a huge step.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This coming tuesday, i am having an interview with a new company.

That in itself is not a big thing, the big thing, is that it's for a loss prevention manager at a large chain, for ?23,000 per year, over double my current wage.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has looked at moving into management, or is already in management, with regards to how to conduct myself, and more importantly, show them how serious, and keen i am to perform well, long term?

First impressions are everything in buisiness =/

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dress well, don't act nervous, shave, sensible hair cut.

These'll make you look good but thats all I know.

Good luck buddy.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Onslaught said:
This coming tuesday, i am having an interview with a new company.

That in itself is not a big thing, the big thing, is that it's for a loss prevention manager at a large chain, for ?23,000 per year, over double my current wage.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has looked at moving into management, or is already in management, with regards to how to conduct myself, and more importantly, show them how serious, and keen i am to perform well, long term?

First impressions are everything in buisiness =/
Try not to be too serious, but do show them that you will be dedicated to doing your job. From my understanding, employers don't like people who are too serious about their jobs, but they also don't like people who don't care about their jobs.

Someone told me some time ago that when you go into an interview, try looking around the room you are being interviewed in for anything that you can talk to the interviewer about. This will help you relax a bit and help the interviewer become less stiff.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Check out their website. Find out exactly what these guys are all about, how long they've been in business, etc. You'll really floor them in the interview if you actually possess some knowledge about the company, and it shows more interest in the position than somebody who doesn't.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WEAR THE SUIT!

And just be yourself, cut up a little... act like a human being.

Share your experiences in a warmingly manner and make the new company feel like you'll be a knowledgable addition.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Be confident, but don't be cocky.
Be assertive, but don't be aggressive.
Answer questions honestly, don't tell them what you think they want to hear, employers can usually see through the bull****.

If they ask you something like "Where do you see yourself in five years," don't give the expected answer of "still working for this company." Say something like "five years is a lot of time, and we all know that anything can happen in a week, so imagine the possibilities in 5 years. Ideally, I'd like to still be working here, and gain some upward mobility through the company, but like I said, five years is a lot of time, and I'm the kind of person who lives in the now, one day at a time." Then make a point to say, "This doesn't mean I am not a goal oriented person, rather, I understand that there are a lot of unexpected events can happen in the future, that throw a curve ball in the path of your goals, and I'll cross those bridges when I get to them."

It's more honest than the cookie-cutter response, and they'll like that.

I don't have a lot of interview experience personally, I've had I believe 7 or 8 since I started working in Grade 12 (2002). But, interestingly enough, every interview I've ever had has either turned into a job, or an offer.

I was supposed to have an interview with Enterprise-Rent-a-Car last Friday for an entry level Manager's position ($38,000/yr), but I had to reschedule due to weather.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, i've gotten every job i've had an interview for, and i literally talked my way into this interview, no application form, nothing. I just wanted to swap some trousers, and talked myself into the interview.

i guess i am just being nervous for nothing, but it's something i can't afford not to succeed in either.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have faith in you Lee, be yourself, as you approach me on your finer moments. You have strong language skills, use them. As a manager, communication skills and organizational skills are key factors for success in that roll, try and demonstrate that you have them during your interveiw.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
after being interviewed twice today, by the store and area managers, i have the job :D

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They couldn't resist your charm I bet... GO LEE \o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
joking aside, i think my new boss is *** lol.

It was tough, the interviews lasted a total of four hours, and covered everything from basic numeracy and literacy, to how to deal with isolated incidents and crises.

we also talked about how manchester united are dominating the league this year.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Four hours? ****, that's brutal. I have two (two!) tomorrow, but at least I know that their length is restricted.

Now, if only I had had the forethought to think about getting some references. Seriously, this is going to be painful.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my CV (Resume) had "Referees available on request" hahaha.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Onslaught said:
my CV (Resume) had "Referees available on request" hahaha.
That's what we were told to put. All I can do is hope they don't request.

Edit: Oh, referees! rofl

Somehow I don't think that would go over so well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom