Need a bit of help with Borderlands

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Ok i got Borderlands as a gift from a friend(how considerate :D) and so far the game is frickin awesome... playing online with ppl feels like diablo and fallout combined... anyway i've got a weird problem. It seems i've got an invisible 5th weapon slot and it is irritating me. I've googled the problem and it seems that some people edit their ini's or savegames to gain extra weapon slots which aren't usually attainable and i've found a possible solution which involves editing my savegame with hex editor. It'd be all fine and dandy if i actually knew how to use a hex editor.
This is what the tutorial says
Well, after some fiddling with the save file in a hex editor, I seem to have fixed my character so the standard inventory slots are restored (no more 2 hidden slots from some guys server that had set WeaponReadyMax to 4 instead of the default 2, which then became 6 as I progressed through the game, causing problems).

Unfortunately it's not at easy as just changing an ini, but here are the steps for anyone brave enough to use a hex editor.

1. In game, unequip all your equipped weapons, including any bugged hidden weapon slots. You may need to unequip the 4 visible slots, then drop the other weapons in the world (default key is "-" or underscore "_") and pick those up, then unequip those as well. I'm not sure if this is absolutely necessary, but I didn't want to worry about weapons equipped in hidden slots that I'm about to remove!

2. Exit the game, saving your character.

3. Back up your .sav file that's in My Documents/My Games/Borderlands/SaveData

4. Using a hex editor, search the sav file for your inventory max size, followed by your number of weapon slots. There is likely only one such spot in the file, but make sure. A new character would have 12 slots and 2 weapon slots. A server-modified character like mine had 144, 6.

These are found as 32 bit big endian numbers next to each other (as best I can tell). So for the example above, a new character would have "00 00 00 0C" "00 00 00 02" in hex, while the bugged character has "00 00 00 90" "00 00 00 06". (0x0C is 12, 0x90 is 144).

5. Change the bugged inventory slots and/or weapon slots back to how you want them. A new character wants 2 weapon slots, a character that has played through most of the game wants 4. Anything above 4 probably means you have the invisible inventory slots that you're trying to fix.

6. Save the file, load up the game, try it out. This worked for me, hope it fixes problems for other people.
But i cant find it. I tried searching for all these strings and tried to find inventory max size and stuff like that but i just don't know how to use the hex editor so i'm askin for your help. Did anyone encounter a situation like this or something i don't know what to do...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How would you get that "extra" 5th slot if you don't mess around with the .ini or savegames? I understand that some people do that, but how would that make its way into your game. o_O

And hex editing is easy peasy, I did that stuff when I was a kid, on Resident Evil 1 savegames >_>

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
well when a host modifies their .ini it doesn't modify your .ini, BUT any changes to your characters .sav are still present or so i've read. I haven't modified any aspect of the game nor did i try to reproduce any glitches or anything that would create this sort of problem on it's own.

Would you be able to fix my problem if i gave ya the savegame?

anyway if anyone is willing to try here's the save file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u87bnffba4fi76b

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pff, I can't promise that. I could try but it has been like 10 years since I edited anything. Hit me up on MSN, I'll give it a go.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Pff, I can't promise that. I could try but it has been like 10 years since I edited anything. Hit me up on MSN, I'll give it a go.
Don't wanna push you dude. Give it a go if you've got the time and feel like it. I don't use MSN but Xfire or Steam.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I've managed to fix it somehow. Managed to find a save game editor tool and removed the additional weapon slot with it. Big thx to -Origin tho for trying to help me.. thx

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah sure, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Glad it's fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom