National History Day

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whose doing the National History Day project? I'm doing it as its a requirement to pass a certain subject in class. I was wondering who was doing it and if they are, what subject are they doing it in? I'm doing it on Martin Luther King. Alot of information, but hard to find something unique that fits into the topic. >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
History day? Wow, that sounds dull. I understand the importance of remembering the past (heck, I BSed my way through a social essay talking about it) but whoever named that day failed.

What does this project entail?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I were you, I'd find a copy of the entire speech and discuss a lot of the non cliche points, ie the non-I have a dream, the non-trials and tribulations, and other stuff that everyone recognizes.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
History day? Wow, that sounds dull. I understand the importance of remembering the past (heck, I BSed my way through a social essay talking about it) but whoever named that day failed.

What does this project entail?
Well, teens all over the country are doing this, and its like a science fair. You get your project judged in school, if it's good it goes to state finals, and everything gelse.

Here's the site if you want more information,
http://www.nationalhistoryday.org/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
History day? Wow, that sounds dull.
Wow, that is sad man. You must have had either lousy teachers, or *shudder* American History.

History is a great source for some awesome stuff. The Roman Empire, World War II, the Greeks and the earliest emergence of culture. There are even some great funny moments in history.

Did you know...

...that at one point, the British troops across the Delaware River were able to see George Washington's men in plain sight, just days before they sailed across and killed them all in their sleep (on Christmas, no less, if I recall). The reason the British all died that week is because their leader refused to fire on Washington because he was standing with his back to the river and was unaware that the British were there.

...A nation state called Carthage, run by a conquest-centric leader named Hannibal, planned to attack and destroy Rome in its early days. The Rome/Carthage conflicts went back and forth and occured early in the Empire's history so they are not a huge part of its legacy...mostly because of the way they ended, abruptly and stupidly. See, in Carthage, they had war elephants. The Romans had never seen an elephant before, and of course **** all over themselves when faced with the creatures and their riders. So convinced was Hannibal that his war elephants could best Rome's armies--which even then was a powerful empire--he set out to take his armada directly to the Roman capitol. Unfortunately he never accounted for the distance or the treacherous mountainous route he had to take; along the way, almost all of his elephants died, as did most of his army. Carthage lost before they ever even got to the lands of Rome.

The early Greeks devloped boats and had excessive naval wars despite a lack of gunpowder. This was compounded by an invention, I forget what it was called, but it was basically a bridge that would be dropped from one boat onto an opposing boat, with spikes that attached it to the enemy's floorboards. From there, the Greek soldiers would turn the naval battle in their favor by making it a ground war.

The French Revolution is pretty crazy too. They actually had scientists using beheadings to try and determine how long your head stays alive for after it is severed...they claimed one of the kings, I think Louis XIV or so, looked around and blinked several times as well as moving his mouth...after they severed his head and held it up to the crowd.

World War II...nuff said.

Modern Russian History is interesting, as well.

This is of course not including the old west, the renaissance, World War I, prohibition, or any other of a million things that have happened.

There are literally a million awesome things you could do a project of this type on. Good luck. I'd do Rome...lots of great stories there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
History certainly has its highlights, dont get me wrong, but when youre learning about the same segment of Canadian history every single year, it gets a little dry. We did the Riel Rebellion twice, pre-1867 a couple times, the levels of government every year, and the World Wars at least twice. Its like each year we started again in the 1800s and worked our way forward. They never went in depth on the War of 1812, something I actually wouldnt mind learning about. That was a third of they year. The rest wasnt our history, it was learning about other countries and cultures, or their history French/Russian Revolution, Communism, etc., and that was much more interesting.

If you can do a project on any history, thatd be fun. I saw the "National" and thought it would have to be about US history. Id think about doing it if I were in high school and/or American. But I am neither, so I guess Ill just sit here and work on my shear force diagrams. I still say the name sucks...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is there a reason why National History Day and World AIDS Day are one and the same day? Are there no spare days left?

Pride said:
There are literally a million awesome things you could do a project of this type on. Good luck. I'd do Rome...lots of great stories there.
I agree with Rome, it's one of the most interesting moments in history; gladiator arenas, vases of wine, overeating and then rounding off the day with a visit to the vomitarium and later, the brothel, fully exploring all the pleasures of man. The eras of (and not to mention deaths of) Caeser, Nero and Caligula. Not to mention the Roman Empire's army ;D:yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom