Naruto to be aired soon -- Already stupid translation mistakes

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I was just browsing the cartoon network site. And I already noticed stupid ?translation? mistakes...

NARUTO BIO:

Naruto is a mischievous troublemaker struggeling to develop his ninja skills. Although his village believes him to be 1.cursed and treats him like an outcast, Naruto has good intentions and dreams of 2.becoming the leader of his ninja clan one day.
1. What the hell, cursed? He just has a demon fox in him, I wouldn't exactly call that cursed =\.
2. Ermm...what clan? He wants to become the leader of the village!

Now, onto the next part where they explain what naruto is all about:

NINJA RANKS
The translated ranks are:
Kage
1.Jonin
2.Chunin
Genin
Academy Student
1. Jonin? That actually even sounds stupid...It's JOUNIN for christ's sake!
2. Well this can be disscussed about, As far as I know, it's Chuunin...

The country's

Land of Wind, Fire, Water, Lightning and Earth, nothing wrong with that...but the village names?:

Village Hidden in the Leaves
Village Hidden in the Sand
Village Hidden in the Mist
Village Hidden in the Clouds
Village Hidden among the Stones
Isn't it...Hidden Village of the Leaves? Nobody ever said that they are Hidden IN the leaves, infact they are hardly hidden as nearly everyone knows about but that's beside the point. :p

Well I'm glad they didn't do any weird stuff with the Chakra and Jutsu part (They actually call it Chakra and Jutsu and not...Life Force and Ninja Arts, even though there is nothing wrong with Ninja Arts, Jutsu just sounds cooler)

Someone should post here when the first episode airs if they call any Jutsu's different. I know that they will use Kage Bunshin near the end of the first episode and I wonder if they will leave it Kage Bunshin or call it something like...Dark Technique of The Fearsome Doppleganger :p (for those who don't know, Viz (the official manga translator) called Bunshin No Jutsu (Replication Technique) Technique of the "Doppleganger".)

Evil_Trunks said:
but I know that Viz did the dubbing for Naruto - they also did Inuyasha - and they seem to be quite good at not screwing up animes too badly.
And if you call Technique of the Doppleganger not screwing up an Anime, you must really love Viz :p
That's actually not the only thing, Viz called Byakukan(or Byakugan, whatever) "Fearsome Eye" or something in that direction...so basicly...Na-roo-to (as they call it) is screwed....'nuff said ;)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry, could you whine some more? Non-official anime sites are notorious for being inaccurate. Cartoon Network didn't translate the anime--the site they've made is with the information they were given. I seriously doubt the webmaster for Cartoon Network is a die-hard Naruto fan. As for the spelling "discrepencies," people, especially fansubbers, add superfluous Is, Os, and Us all the time. From even the simplest things like numbers "(jyu, jyuu, juu) or not (ja, jya).

Sicron said:
Isn't it...Hidden Village of the Leaves?
It's Konohagakure no sato or "Village of the Hidden Leaf" or "Hidden Leaf Village."

As for the mixing of Japanese and English words--I'm against it. While some people might favor them saying "jutsu!" rather than 'technique,' it makes absolutely no sense. Just like the inconsistent fansubbers who go around putting up "Sexy no jutsu," people think that's the name. Does Naruto actually say "sexy"? No, he's saying oiroke no jutsu. Mixing English with Japanese is common in Japanese anime--the "Engrish" they so often mis-use in completely non-sensical ways, shortening our words improperly--changing combination to "combi" instead of "combo," television to "televi" rather than TV, there are numerous examples--and they're so common, they're really in the Japanese vernacular, as mistakes.

I'd rather see obnoxious little fans of the show going around saying "darkness replication technique!" than "KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!" You think it's cool because it's Japanese, but the words mean exactly the same thing.

Edit: The bottom line is, you can't please everybody. Personally, I'm amazed they're keeping things like "jutsu" in the anime, rather than streamlining it so the most diverse population of America can enjoy it. Someone will always be whining about how the show isn't the same as their precious fansubs were.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You've got to be joking, how are they 'stupid translation mistakes'? From the look of the facts you posted it looks about 99% faithful, thats better than most dubs. Do you honestly care that they left the 'u' out of Jounin and Chuunin? What about Goku and Gokou? Or that they changed 'of' to 'in' regarding villages ? It's barely noticeable and definatley not worth kicking up a fuss about, it just looks like you're attacking the dub on principle, which is just silly.

From the looks of it, nothings been majorly changed except the one thing that actually matters in a dub, english voices.

EDIT: Ugh, Alea beat me to it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeag Alea made a good point, englsih being my first language, hearing japanese attacks yelled out just seems more 'secret techniwue-like' isntead of hearing something yelled in english, which would sound corny too me.

But then, having them talk in english and announce attacks in japanese would be a little wierd..I guess it's just giving them their original names, like saying 'kung fu', 'tai chi' and 'sushi'. And I think 'Chakra' is an indian word, and if so, that means they could of just called it 'Chi' since their description of chakra is wrong.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok I know I might whine a bit about this, but it's just...99% of the time they translate/dub a good anime they kinda dissapoint me, I mean, when watching the japanese anime well, it's fun too watch, no weird names etc etc. But as soon as you start hearing the english version, it just sounds stupid if they change all the names in my oppinion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think DBZ hit the english-japanese margin pretty well. Kamehameha, Masenko and Kaioken (*cough* Budokai2) translated would sound strange, just like Genki Dama would if they kept it. I guess those words roll off the tongue better. Of course, it could be because we're used to the words as they are now, and the same will happen to Naruto in time.

Art of the Doppleganger doesn't sound so bad, it could be much worse. "Multiple Me Attack!"

Best answers
Ravendust said:
I think DBZ hit the english-japanese margin pretty well. Kamehameha, Masenko and Kaioken (*cough* Budokai2) translated would sound strange, just like Genki Dama would if they kept it. I guess those words roll off the tongue better. Of course, it could be because we're used to the words as they are now, and the same will happen to Naruto in time.

Art of the Doppleganger doesn't sound so bad, it could be much worse. "Multiple Me Attack!"
True. One question though... WTF is a "doppleganger"? I have the GT final bout game and it has Jappenese voices and it sounds weird cause im not used to it and it sounds really high pitched so...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A doppleganger is a copy by definition, in the Naruto manga it was used as Bunshin (Doppleganger) and Kage Bunshin (Art of the Doppleganger) and in Devil May Cry 3 it was a shadow that acted like you. It may not be he literal translation of Kage Bunshin but it pretty much means the same thing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yoou guys should be happy that they at least made the effort to try and retain its names, they at least researched into the anime, and its main features etc. trust, the UK would do a much ****ter job, they completely ruined the DBZ movies that they aired earlier in the summer, it was awful. The actor that played krillen was either a woman with a high pitched voice, or a young boy they found on the street, Goku sounded like Winston Churchill or some ****, and they called the spirit bomb a kamehame, and they called Piccollo "Big Green", and they called sensu beans magic beans, and they called....

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
A doppleganger is a copy by definition, in the Naruto manga it was used as Bunshin (Doppleganger) and Kage Bunshin (Art of the Doppleganger) and in Devil May Cry 3 it was a shadow that acted like you. It may not be he literal translation of Kage Bunshin but it pretty much means the same thing.
Alea's translation debunks yours . . . it's shadow/darkness copy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just want to see it, then I can actually give an accurate opinion. From the clip I saw on the cartoonnetwork website, it doesn't seem to be so great, the way iruka said "jutsu" kinda struck me as blehh...but oh well, im sure they will get better as they go, it's a brand new anime to them and they are getting used to the characters, I just hope they dont make the entire anime sound childish, it may be on toonami, but that doesn't mean they cant sound a bit more serious...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Alea's translation debunks yours . . . it's shadow/darkness copy.
I didn't give a translation, I gave it's dub name.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dunno about any of you but I'm not going to watch cartoon network version. For a few reasons. 1. I don't have a T.V. 2. It's, in my opinion, more fun to watch the show in japanese. 3. Subbed anime's aren't as good as the original. 4. I hate it when I hear one thing, then the voice is changed when I watch it again. But mainly because I don't have a T.V

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
Hmmm, Viz made an official Naruto site (http://www.viz.com/naruto/site.html) and it has a long trailer where Naruto uses the Kage-Bunshin technique, but I couldn't hear what he really said, I could only hear something with Shadow....
Please post all future Naruto discussion in the Naruto stickeys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom