Naruto copies HunterXhunter?

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I watched HunterXhunter a few months ago and i couldn't help but notice how similar they were:

- Kurapika who comes from the Kuruta clan, however he is the last survivor because his clan was massacred. He lives for revenge even if it would cost him his own life. The Kurta clan has a special ability called "Scarlet Eyes" their eyes turn red (similar to sasuke)

- The main protagonist Gon has a father who is basically a legendary Hunter (the 4th hokage was also considered legendary.)

- Gons best friend Killua is a prodigy and very skilled, he is similar to Gon but with a more dark attitude, Killua's nen type is electricity. (similar to Sasuke's lightning)

- The concept of special moves are quite similar, Nen requires chi, while Jutsus require chakra.

- Gon is considered special by everyone throughout the anime by his ability to change people and make people believe in him. (It's the same thing with Naruto.)

- Gons fighting style is more of a hand to hand fighting, while he gets beat up all the time he never gives up.

- The Phatom Brigade is a band of extremely powerful criminals, similar to akatsuki. The leader of Phantom Brigade Chrollo Lucifer has a special nen ability to copy and use any Nen ability no matter what type of Nen it is. The leader of Akatsuki has the special rinnegan which lets him have complete mastery over all types of chakra element.

- Gon and his friends enter the hunter exam to become hunters, which is quite similar to the chuunin exams: there are different parts to the hunter exam, each having their own special Hunter examiner.

-In the hunter exam there was a swamp part where the hunter examinees survive going through a swamp, some of the examinees died there. (similar to the "forest of death" part of the chuunin exams)

- The last part of the hunter exams had the examinees face eachother in one on one matches. (similar to the preliminary matches of chuunin exams)

- Hisoka is a creepy guy with a weird voice who is extremely powerful. He joins the hunter exams just to scout for kids who have potential (Orochimaru joins the chuunin exams and scouts Sasuke)

- Hisoka is part of the Phantom Brigade, but has always had his own secret agenda, and eventually leaves the Phantom Brigade. (Orochimaru was part of akatsuki, and also leaves)

- Gon's teacher in HunterXhunter:GI is an old lady atleast in her 50's who uses her nen abilities to make herself look young, and she's perverted.

Was Kishi inspired by HunterXhunter? Or are these just coincidences? I know lots of animes have some similarities like Bleach/Naruto/DBZ and other Shonen Jumps, but not quite this many, or this distinct. Also Gon and Naruto have the same voice actress lol.

Last edited:
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, these are pretty hard not to notice.Yeah,Kishimoto could have done this.

But from what you've told us here i like more the Naruto universe instead of the Hunterxhunter one. Just my opinion. :)

Best answers
There is thing called mainstream in mangaworld. Which means mangakas use elements that other mangas have proven to be popular. Such things include Hero character having some kind of special power in him (Kyyubi, Satan, Hollow, Sayian blood...etc), Battle tournaments.... okay cant think anything else atm.

- The concept of special moves are quite similar, Nen requires chi, while Jutsus require chakra.
This is also one of those elements you can usually see in many different shounen manga.(Reiatsu, Ayashi, Chi, Chakra...etc)

Besides you cant make good manga if you trash all your ideas because somebody else has used them before. Even if Kishimoto did use HunterXHunter as reference, i still enjoy Naruto more than HxH because the world and art is more to my liking. And i bet Yoshihiro Togashi (HxH's mangaka) copied ideas of some other mangaka, and so on...

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
There is thing called mainstream in mangaworld. Which means mangakas use elements that other mangas have proven to be popular. Such things include Hero character having some kind of special power in him (Kyyubi, Satan, Hollow, Sayian blood...etc), Battle tournaments.... okay cant think anything else atm.

This is also one of those elements you can usually see in many different shounen manga.(Reiatsu, Ayashi, Chi, Chakra...etc)

Besides you cant make good manga if you trash all your ideas because somebody else has used them before. Even if Kishimoto did use HunterXHunter as reference, i still enjoy Naruto more than HxH because the world and art is more to my liking. And i bet Yoshihiro Togashi (HxH's mangaka) copied ideas of some other mangaka, and so on...
Of course thats obvious but still. None have as much distinct similarities as much as HunterXHunter and Naruto.

Best answers
Of course thats obvious but still. None have as much distinct similarities as much as HunterXHunter and Naruto.
YuYu Hakusho and Bleach have quite a lot of similarities aswell. And btw YuYuHakusho is also created by Yoshihiro Togashi, same mangaka who made HunterXhunter

After further research, it seems Yoshihiro Togashi has influenced manga world quite a lot, Heck he is even married to the creator of Sailor Moon! And even the great Eichiro Oda (creator of One Piece) has worked as his assistant.

I have slight respect for the guy now.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of the Manga titles from Shonen Jump have similar plot lines or elements. You can find this in everything from One Piece to Hokuto no Ken to DBZ to Naruto and Bleach.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want you to look at Kishimoto's Naruto and His Brother's Manga 666 Satan... Characters with Transformations...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want you to look at Kishimoto's Naruto and His Brother's Manga 666 Satan... Characters with Transformations...
Yea I read 666 Satan. But they are brothers and the story was unique enough that it wasn't a complete copy.

Plus there's the fact that you can't make almost ANYTHING original nowadays with it being a completely original story, as long as the "universe" which it's set in is different I think it's okay to do.

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I took a look at it, and? The plot seems entirely different from Naruto, the only thing similar is the artwork which is understandable since the mangaka are twin brothers who grew up together.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Read into it deeply. The Characters have the same personalities at times, Lose control at times. Cherish their Friends the most of anything.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Put Dragonball Z and Bleach next to this, and you will see a lot of similarities as well. That's exactly what Shonen anime is. But it's the little things that sets those animes apart.

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I've watched Bleach, DBZ, and many other anime, none have close to as much distinct similarities or plot stories as these 2 anime.

For example:
There was no character that had their clan massacred, living for vengeance, with a special red eye ability that gives them powers, in Bleach or DBZ. (Sasuke/Uchiha clan, and Kurapika/Kuruta clan)

Or an very similar exam that gets infiltrated by an extremely powerful character to scout potential in a certain character. (Orochimaru in the chuunin exams, Hisoka in the hunter exams)

The only similarities between Naruto, Bleach, and DBZ are basically just the Reitsu, powerlevel, and how the main character have a more powerful form.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Frieza destroyed Vegeta's planet/race, and so Vegeta had waited for the day he could take vengence on Frieza, so he decides to work under him untill he can find a way to defeat him. Vegeta fits into the role of sasuke quite well, and goku = naruto, i mean, even their colour scheme is exactly the same. etc etc etc.

Shonen manga does borrow from each other a lot imo, they have extremely similar plot devices.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess Shonen knows what people want. I can say Deathnote was a good original idea but it really wasnt played out in a good way to me.. I fell asleep alot. I didn't even fall asleep that much watching Titanic. But Anyway..

I guess the ruling for this one is Shonen Jump is a team made of team work?

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Yeah but its not as similar as HxH/Naruto. Kurapika's story is basically identical to Sasuke's just with replaced names. Kurapika being the sole survivor of the Kurta Clan, who have the ability to turn their eyes red for special power, massacred by the Phantom Brigade. You can literally just swap names Kurta with Uchiha, Kurapika with Sasuke, Phanton Brigade with Akatsuki, Hunter Exams with Chuunin exams, Hisoka with Orochimaru, and you literally have the plot of Naruto.

I've lots of Shonen Jump anime, like, DBZ, Bleach, One piece, etc. They have some elements that are similar but not on the level to where you can just replace the names and have the exact plotline.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah but its not as similar as HxH/Naruto. Kurapika's story is basically identical to Sasuke's just with replaced names. Kurapika being the sole survivor of the Kurta Clan, who have the ability to turn their eyes red for special power, massacred by the Phantom Brigade. You can literally just swap names Kurta with Uchiha, Kurapika with Sasuke, Phanton Brigade with Akatsuki, Hunter Exams with Chuunin exams, Hisoka with Orochimaru, and you literally have the plot of Naruto.

I've lots of Shonen Jump anime, like, DBZ, Bleach, One piece, etc. They have some elements that are similar but not on the level to where you can just replace the names and have the exact plotline.
Actually if you go by that. Then Orochimaru was supposed to be neutral. Hissoka isnt a vilan. Hes newtral in the whole thing. His only goal is to fight strong oponents and nothing more ^^

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what about perverted hermits being the main characters mentor ;x

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Well its the plot, how he's some uber powerful guy who is somewhat part of a powerful criminal crime organization (which they leave) who entered the hunter/chuunin exam scouting young fighters with potential. Hisoka could be considered evil because he has assisted the phanton brigade with their plots of mass murder, he lusts for the thrill of killing powerful people, and has no problem killing people unless he wants to keep them alive for his own reasons. He's just not as evil as Orochimaru, but he isn't much of a good guy.

what about perverted hermits being the main characters mentor ;x
Actually the protagonists Gon's teacher afterwards in HunterxHunter, is an old lady atleast in her 50's, who uses magic to make herself look young, and yeah she's perverted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom