name change problem

Best answers
i need help with changing my name i know that i have to go to configure but every time i go there the mod shut's down and bring's me back to windows. is there a way to change it in one of the file's if i go to the folder and change a file that would change my name plz help anything u think will help plz tell me thank u people

Defenestrator
Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Try telling us what you want it changed to so we can do it :rolleyes:

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually Cheeseman, I believe he is talking about his in-game name.

You have to go to multiplayer, then customize to change your name.

I have searched around for a bit, and I haven't found a file that I could just edit to change my name, so the above method may be th eonly way to go.

Best answers
well if ur talking about ur ingame name do what miroku says or when ur playing the game itself just type name "yournewnickhere"

if ur talking about ur forum name

Originally posted by Miroku
Oh, for the name changing, not just any moderator, it must be a Administrator.

You can find the list here: http://forum.esforces.com/showgroups.php?s=

I would recommend Deverz or Cucumba or Cheeseman, they are the most active of the Admins

Best answers
Mod: play on lan - Customize - change yor name
Forum: ask a admin to chang your name
In-Game mod: pull down the console and type name xxxx (xx= your name) (% = spaces)

Best answers
guys guys guys...YOUR CONFIG in your HL folder of ESF. there should be your name somewhere up top or whatever in qoutes.
You can change it there/

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah there it is, Triki28 is right...

look for a file called config.cfg and open it with a plaintext editor(Notepad.exe is perfect for this) after all the binds, there will be some more things. look for one that says name "blah"

just change whatever is in the quotes.

Best answers
i changed my name but now when i go to auto play it says my name is esfnoob. but if i go to a game my self it shows the name i put in. Is there two places where to enter your name? or is this a glitch in the game

Best answers
basically there is only 1 place to change ur name its in multiplayer> customize. once u have changed the name is saves to a config file. . .

there are 3 ways to change ur name.
1.multiplayer> customize change it here
2.in game bring down console and type name "urnamehere"
3.open the config file and change it there(if u do it this way game cannot be running)

Best answers
is there any way out side of HL where u can bind a key to change of name? coz the name i prefer can't be bind to a key on the console... has bad characters in it which make it fail.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lost, look for a file called config.cfg and edit it with a plaintext editor like notepad. Config.cfg has all the binds in it.

Best answers
yeah but the binds doesn't work. when i bind with this:

Code:
bind p "name {Zer01}"
i get { as name so thats the real bugger, now i changed the bind in the config, but it doesn't work eiter coz it's the same crap as in the console.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
don't bind something to your name, look for the line that is specifically for the name

name "blah"

I wonder if you can even have those characters in your name... Have you tried changing your name the normal way through the customize option in the multiplayer menu?

Best answers
well as u know in the game u would just type in console name "{Zer01}" to get the name not just the first charater but i dont have any clue how u would bind it to a key. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom