My Wii repair story...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My Wii experience has been far from fun so far. I bought a used wii from a local exchange store (not gamestop), along with resident evil 4. I took it home, hooked it up, downloaded system updates, and then I played for hours. The next day I started it up and loaded up my RE4 save. I moved forward a bit in the game and the audio went out, then it went to a black screen with an error that told me "an error occurred, eject the disk and turn the system off", which was very descriptive and helpful....

I thought nothing of it and restarted it, loaded up my save and walked forward and got the same error. I called nintendo to ask them what I should do and they said it sounds like it's a defective disk, but rent another game and play it for a few days and see if you get the same error. Well I went out and rented sonic and the secret of the rings. I was immediately hooked on the game, I love the controls (I know many hate them). I played for about 4 days straight with no problem...but I eventually got the error, and it was a little different this time, after I restarted it gave me another error before the disc was even read.

I was pissed to say the least, I knew the store I bought it from rarely had any wiis in so I didn't even bother because mine was still under warranty. So I set up a repair and sent it into nintendo....that's when the fun began.

They received my wii on August 29th. I waited...and waited...and when it got to the two week point I started getting impatient. I had heard these repairs take maybe 2 days once they get the wii, even their site says 5-7 business days from the time they get it to the time you get it back. Well I called nintendo's customer service and they were no help, they just checked it from the official nintendo site the same way I was doing myself. I tried a few times to get something more out of them, but I got nowhere. So as a last resort I emailed them...this never works for me but I tried anyway. To my surprise I actually got a response the next day, and they gave me the number to nintendo's customer server administration department. I called them and they gave me some interesting information...

He told me that the New York repair center got my package and opened it up and saw that there was "an attempted mod chip installation". I...was...pissed...

I explained to him that I bought it used and that nintendo has had it so long that I can't return it to the store I got it from (today marks day 21 of them receiving it). He said they are actually looking at it now, and they will call me later and give me the results.

So if nintendo won't do anything about it, my only options will be to beg the place I got it from for a refund or to crack the wii open myself and try to remove the mod chip...

Keep in mind I didn't install the mod chip, and I'm not trying to start a mod chip discussion. It's just something I'm forced to deal with now...

Best answers
Ah man, that really sucks. Hopefully they'll be a bit understanding with holding it for so long... perhaps they'll fix it, or replace it out of sympathy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The attempted mod chip installation is most likely the problem, which is obvious from reading, curse whoever had the Wii before you did.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That sucks. Anyway, next time don't buy used ****. I generally don't trust anything used.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, what was the name of the local exchange store?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's just called "The Exchange".

I usually trust used stuff from this place because they are very strict with their trade-ins. They go by appearance first, then they test if what's being traded in is playable. The wii had no noticeable physical damages, and from looking at it, you couldn't tell that it was taken apart. Plus it played well for the first few days, so I can understand why it was passed.

I hope they have some sympathy for me and just remove the chip or ditch the whole system and send me a replacement. The rep at the administration department told me that they usually won't do anything if a mod chip was installed because then the warranty is void and they can't touch it. But he said given the situation, he will see what he can do...I just want my wii back :(...

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, you got screwed.

Keep complaining to both companies, if they don't help you, ask for their supervisors. Remember to be courteous, and don't loose your cool. That'll make them want to help you less.

Buyer beware, used stuff isn't always the best to get.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
It's just called "The Exchange".
That's what you get when you buy Nintendo products from the likes of overlords such as Davik Kang and Visquis.

(anyone who gets this joke I will give secks to.)

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LegacyRP~
WRONG ~Magus
*BEFT magus*

Kinda unlucky though, you're the first person I've heard of to wait this long on his wii!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
consumer law (here at lest), states that if you notify the store/company you purchased it from, within the 21 days, then you are still entitled to a full refund.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
28 Days
28 DAYS!!!
Oh and unlucky. Should've just bought it new; as it only got released last year, it can't really have been that much more expensive than a brand new purchase o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Ness: Money wasn't really the problem, it was availability, you can't find new wii's very easily around here, so I had to go with used.

@Cuc: Trust me, the last thing I want to do is piss off customer service reps. I hate when people do that ****, like everything is their fault.

I went over to my friends house one day and he ordered pizza from this place he goes to at least 4 times a week (this dudes fridge is full of pizza boxes). They read back the total for 2 larges and it was about $40. This shouldn't come as a surprise to him, he knows the place is expensive, but for some reason he just went off and started *****ing at the girl on the phone about how expensive their pizza is. He blew things way out of proportion. He called the manager, started *****ing at him, and he demanded that the charges be removed from his credit card (after we had already eaten the pizza), and ended with a "thanks for nothing *******"... It was just embarrassing to watch him scream over the phone and threaten these people for something they aren't responsible for.

I had 30 days to return it to the store, but like I said, I bought it, played it for a week and then sent it to nintendo. They've had it for over 3 weeks now so a refund is probably out of the question.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
A word of advice: Buying a used item is like buying a used condom; don't do it.

Best answers
A word of advice: Buying a used item is like buying a used condom; don't do it.
Speak for yourself. Comes pre-lubed, I love that.

And Magus~ I KNEW you were referring to KOTOR but I wasn't sure enough to risk a giant WRONG in my message. I'm a wimp like that <3

WRONG

~enix<3<3<3

Best answers
Hey, it could be worse. I'm on my 5th Xbox 360 "elite" luckily this one is finally running strong. Every single last Elite they sent me RROD'd within 20 minutes to 5 days. I love Microsoft.

Best answers
Hey, it could be worse. I'm on my 5th Xbox 360 "elite" luckily this one is finally running strong. Every single last Elite they sent me RROD'd within 20 minutes to 5 days. I love Microsoft.
Ya i know what you have been through Enix but it's that i had a Xbox 360.
First Xbox 360 on the day i got it started glitching and freezing on my halo2.
Second Xbox lived for like a month then died at my dad house. A month before halo 3. I was really scared as ****. I sent my Xbox off to Microsoft and got it like 3 weeks/ 4 weeks later......the day before HALO 3. HAHAH i felt so happy :D I hope you get you game system back buddy :/

Best answers
if the disc error happend to me after i bought the second hand wii, i probaly would of just doubt with it and just complained to my parents, im not very good with the contacting stuff imean i dont even know how to contact microsoft.... and also @ 5 xbox 360s, are xbox 360s really that bad were gonna buy one soon but if its just going to break then why should i buy it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom