My PSP died in the most random way

Best answers
Well, I had bought Final Fantasy Tactics last night. I got up this morning, took it out of the plastic wrapper and put it in. Well, after listening to the PSP trying to spin the disc up for about 45 seconds, I popped it out, blew in the tray and put it back in. It started spinning but 10 seconds later I get a disc read error.

So I took it out, blew again and checked the disc, only to discover that a very small piece, like smaller than the tip of my pinky fingernail, of the plastic wrapper had gotten under the plastic cover of the UMD. Well I managed to get the plastic out, popped it back in, still got a DRE. I tried 2 more games and a movie. all DRE's. the PSP doesn't even try to spin the discs. My conclusion....that small piece of plastic caused the UMD try to fry....

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my cousins psp died, you could hear the sound of a motor spinning but the UMD itself never spun, like a belt slid off or something. (though im sure those are not used in a psp, just an example) and it would give him a DRE

recently however, nearly a year after it broke the newest firmware update brought it back to life, and now it works good as new.

which begs the question (in my mind) what firmware are you using?

Best answers
Hmmm, how old is the PSP, if you still have warranty left you should just try returning it to the shop you bought it from, they should give you replacement or repair it for no cost. (I dont have a PSP, so i dont know how much warranty those things have.)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As Jariroth said. If you still have the receipt (as you should for all expensive things you buy), just take it back and get a new one.

Best answers
Well, send me a PM. I'll explain to you how to get a custom firmware on your PSP. That way you can play the games you own (lol) like Final Fantasy Tactics, without the UMD.

It's free, doesn't require anything, and will have your PSP better than ever. And if nuttzy is on to something, could get the UMD's working on it's own.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it doesn't make any sense for firmware to magically bring dead hardware back to life, so it could've just been coincidence, just thought it was strange that it started working immediately after a update

Best answers
Hmmm, how old is the PSP, if you still have warranty left you should just try returning it to the shop you bought it from, they should give you replacement or repair it for no cost. (I dont have a PSP, so i dont know how much warranty those things have.)
sadly my psp is a launch psp, so no warranty.

I'm not to worried about it. I was planning on buying a slim psp anyway. what sucks is I was getting ready to sell this one.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tried blowing real hard on the laser thing in the PSP? If dust gets on that, the laser might be unable to read the UMD. If that doesn't work, put some custom firmware on it. You will still be able to play games trough other means. Plus it's great for SNES, NES etc. games. I really recommend it. Sony's Useless Media Disk reader tends to be rather crappy sometimes anyway, it's far too slow.(being able to put games on your memory stick speeds up things a lot.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom