My pc is just going straight downhill, help D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, let me start it off. I recently got a new monitor, and it was laggy-ish. So I decided to update drivers, defrag, etc. Works fine now :).

So, having this, I decided to get some file (i totally forgot), and when it was done downloading, I clicked 'open' and it said (not specifically) something along the lines of:

error message when opening said:
The file could not be open because the file could either be corrupted or may have a virus attached to it.
I pressed OK, for it was the only option avaible, and BAM. my screen flashed a couple of times. So I went on my normal day, and I decided to play GW with my friend. We normally use Google Talk cause the quality is great, but when I went to sign in I realized I couldnt. My friend was able to, but I just couldn't. It wouldnt let me connect to their server. I kept trying, but bleh, it wouldnt work. So I emailed Google about this problem and they couldn't help.

About yesterday, me and my friend wanted to start up CS and lan eachother using Hamachi (the lan network), we have been using for a long time. But I realize, I can't connect to that either. Once again, my friend tried it and it worked fine for him, and I couldnt connect to their server. I used to be always able to connect to both.

So I'm wondering, is this a real virus? im running McCafee atm, but nothings up so far after about 87,000 files (except one PUP)

Any help?

Sound Artist
Best answers
Get a second opinion, use a different virus scanner.
Try this free online scanner , make sure you use Internet Explorer for it.

If a virus is not the case, make sure to check all your drivers, (Which drivers did you update specifically?) Roll back if you have to.

As far as your connection, you can browse the good ol' web but you can't connect with any programs correct? Did you happen to update your ethernet card when you were installing drivers?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just updated the drivers, nothing else. Also, I was running the scanner and it hit a file and i guess mcafee detected it, and cleaned it. still cant sign onto it thuogh.

edit: Well, I just found the name of the virus. I found its location and everything. Mcafee deletes and claens it but it keeps coming back, the name would be:

Perflib_Perfdata_720

Yeah, It's starting to piss me off.

Last edit: You might not see me for a while, as the virus spread and now my whole pc is just... messed. Firefox is starting to screw up, so im just re-installing windows.

So I'm not gonna be active this whole weekend. So a mod can close this if they wish :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom