My pc freezes when watching a video

Best answers
I need help. whenever i watch a video on any player, any video. My pc freezes after a couple of minutes/seconds.. it happens all the time. How can i fix this ? if its possible..? ;/

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Make sure you don't have "extra" processes taking up your computing resources. (a.k.a. spyware--run SpybotS&D, and Ad-Aware)

Make sure your video acceleration is all the way up. In Windows Media Player, go to TOOLS--Options--Performance, make sure Video Acceleration is at Full.

Try closing unnecessary programs before beginning playback.

This is a longshot, but try making sure your video card drivers and DIRECTX are up to date.

Lastly, uninstall whatever video codecs(xvid, divx, etc) you have and download the DEFILERPAK (http://hellninjacommando.com/defilerpak/), which should let you play just about anything.

If none of these work, tell me and I'll think of some more.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Iv'e had this problem before. It is most likely that your gfx card may be overheating due to a build up of dust on the fan of your gfx card. Clean it out and see what happens.

Best answers
I know just about nothing about computers, so where is it ?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This happened to my brother a year or two ago. Then about 3 months later, his HD crashed and had to get it replaced. I'd either try to reinstall your video player, or just close any extra programs you have running.

Best answers
Well, there are some programs running.. but it never happened earlier, I dont remember..

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Close the extra ones.

Best answers
Ok, ill try that.. can it be because of a p2p program ?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jugo said:
Actually i have 256 ram :p
Purchase some more memory you hippie =P (not to expensive for anoter 256 or 512 stick, just a little suggestion for the overall use of your pc).

This ethier would sound to me that your pc really is getting it's resources used up by tons of crap or as stated above, your fans are clogged with white evil dust :devgrin: .

Best answers
Jugo said:
I need help. whenever i watch a video on any player, any video. My pc freezes after a couple of minutes/seconds.. it happens all the time. How can i fix this ? if its possible..? ;/
What kind of video? :p ^^

Maybe its your cooling fan or somehting. Get a new one or put a regular fan by it. Thats all i can think of is that when you have something like a video that causes your comp. to slow down because it uses so much stuff and it freezes. I dont really know though...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I seriously doubt that overheating is making videos play sluggish. Just do what SailorAlea has suggested along with defragging, as that always helps =). I'd suggest using Raxco's PerfectDisk, as it's a very nice defragmenter.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jugo said:
lol.. i dont have much money really.. :p
A 256mb stick won't cost you much anyway, and trust me for such a small price to pay you'll be giving yourself a pat on the back for doing so.

Best answers
Dude, Im 14, and and i dont think my parent will buy anything for my pc.. b'cause im the only one who uses it and they know nothing about computers :D

Best answers
dude, a gig of ram isnt that much, im getting mine for 78 bucks, its 2x 512 sticks of Patriot memory with red pearlescent heat spreaders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom