My next Rig

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
There is nothing wrong with G.Skill and I say that with 7 years experience with building, repairing and destroying(A) computers, professionally.

RAM that isn't trustworthy are from brands like TakeMS. They have notorious high DOA and RMA rates.(Own experience)

But lets get back at the subject at hand, the rig.
What are you going to do with the rig? If its gaming, sure a i7 2500K is very fast, but unnecessary. Games at normal(1920x1080, I consider a regular resolution for gamers) resolution will see no benefit from a faster CPU. This has been tested multiple times. So, if you want, you can save some serious cash there. But it's all up to your demands.

The power supply is OVERKILL, unless you going to CF or SLi. I had 2 SLi rigs and 1 CF rig and they all ran on max 650 watt powersupplies.(Chieftec 560Watt for 8800GTS 512MB SLi(1), HD 4850CF(2) and BeQuiet 650Watt with the third rig with GTX285 SLi) A Seasonic X serie is partly passive(Idle) and are the best PSU out there. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=169 (The 560Watt version, which I also currently own, would be enough for your rig)

I'm also not a fan a big cases anymore. Yes everything is easier to access and to upgrade, but it's hell getting to a LAN party. As (former)owner of Antec P182, Coolermaster Stacker(Multiple versions) and Chieftec Aegis series, I now have a special LianLi case, which is mATX height, super light weight, but support full ATX, SLi and that sort of crap. Great airflow too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reS9vKxDNgQ (Plus I now hate gamecase looks, a sleek case looks better with other equipment)

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't go to LAN parties, and 95% of games don't come with LAN anymore.

PSU is fine; 750w isn't over-kill. I have a 650w and it can barely power my full system.(Q6600 @ 3.3GHZ, GTX470, 4GB RAM, 2 HDD's, couple fans, ect, I used a power meter)

Also, the Core i52500k is very much required for my needs. No AMD CPU is fast enough for the games I want to play. My Q6600 gets half-speed in XenoSaga, it's very CPU dependent, also Battlefield 3 uses 99% of my CPU. I am CPU & GPU limited in the game at current. A Core i5 2500k in CPU limited tests has shown to be a great deal faster than mine; add onto this that on Air it can reach 5GHZ, of course, I won't be so wasteful as to go to that, but I want to have a slick OC to about 4.5GHZ, which is enough. Can't imagine what you'd recommend if not a Core i5 2500k. They're almost 200$, and a mobo for them is only 125$. Only cheaper CPU would be an AMD X6 series, which would be on average at least 25% slower. I build a rig to last me man, not upgrade every year / two years.

You also loose about 10% of your PSU's wattage per year, you know? I use my rigs for 5 years. It's for the future, as well. This rig is going to be hitting it's fifth year soon, I only upgrade the GPU in between. I calculated Power usage, and yeah, I'd only need around a 500w PSU actually, it says 470w, even if I add in OC, but we have to throw in extra room in case I ever do plan to go SLi.

I have a mid-tower case right now and can barely fit my hands in it. I have trouble putting stuff in it, and have to bend my hand and head at odd angles. My cousins rig I build for him had a HAF-932, a case much like the one I'm getting, and setting it up was an utter breeze. Cable management was also very awesome. I don't care about how my rig looks really; I want performance, but a Storm Trooper has both looks & performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom