My net speed increased tenfold... whilst I was using it.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For about a week, my net had gone to terrible speeds. Enough to make dial up seem appealing, enough for it to take 10 minutes on a 1MB download. It made gaming harder (ping from 30 to 100 in some games, and it wasn't the servers) and took minutes for a few seconds of Youtube videos to load.

About 5 minutes ago I noticed videos loaded as they went along. I went on a speed checker and found that my speeds went from 100kb/s to 3Mb/s. Pretty odd, the Plusnet site had said there was nothing wrong when my net slowed and it didn't matter about peak and offpeak. I'm curious to why? Any genii (or geniuses) have any idea why?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For about a week, my net had gone to terrible speeds. Enough to make dial up seem appealing, enough for it to take 10 minutes on a 1MB download. It made gaming harder (ping from 30 to 100 in some games, and it wasn't the servers) and took minutes for a few seconds of Youtube videos to load.

About 5 minutes ago I noticed videos loaded as they went along. I went on a speed checker and found that my speeds went from 100kb/s to 3Mb/s. Pretty odd, the Plusnet site had said there was nothing wrong when my net slowed and it didn't matter about peak and offpeak. I'm curious to why? Any genii (or geniuses) have any idea why?
That happened with my old cable company twice. I called them and they informed me that poor speeds were a result of them working on the lines / network in order to increase speeds in the future. I would imagine that's what happened to you

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Might have been due to maintenance. Sometimes my net will slow to a crawl, but it goes away after a few days.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait... 30-100 ping is bad now? I thought having a ping 73 meant it was going well...

And...my net downloads 150 kilobytes per second...Is this bad? I mean, I HAVE DSL...

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait... 30-100 ping is bad now? I thought having a ping 73 meant it was going well...

And...my net downloads 150 kilobytes per second...Is this bad? I mean, I HAVE DSL...
Bad in comparison to what I had previously. I got used to great speeds after a while.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I normally get 30 - 40 ping on other Aus servers

20 on a good day

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why don't you call and ask them?
I'm not the man of the house :smile:. Besides, they normally post bulletins on the user cp of their site. Nothing.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Are you on cable or dsl? Cable runs on a local loop, meaning your internet connection will slow down during prime hours because you're sharing the bandwidth with neighbors. There are also many other factors, modem, cabling, network issues(saturation, maintenance, outages.) I'd probably skip firewalls as the factor, the slowing effect would be much more constant. My advice is to call when it's happening, that way they can run network tests to see if there are any issues on the network, if not it's most likely ISW/CPE

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom