My internet connection keeps failing me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, my internet connection has really been getting on my nerves for a while now. In the middle of browsing/downloading or whatever, it just stops working entirely. When I Repair my connection, the IP adress changes and now my connection status looks like this:

IP Adress: 192.168.100.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.100.1

Once this appears, my connection doesn't work anymore. It's still enabled, but I can't do anything with it. Then after a few times of reseting my modem and whatnot, it goes back to normal, as well as my IP adress. I think that there's something wrong with the modem. I have a Webstar Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem, looks like this:

When the CABLE light blinks on and off, my IP resets and the connection doesn't work anymore. I think that there's some kind of problem with the modem's start-up procedure, which usually consists of all the 5 lights lighting up at the same time twice. When this happens, the connection is normal. When it doesn't, the cable light stays off or keeps blinking on-off, in which case the connection doesn't work. I've checked all the cables, even measured their voltage with my dad. There's nothing wrong with them, so it's either my ISP, or my modem. Has anyone else experienced the same problem maybe, or knows how to fix it? I've called my ISP numerous times, but they're all a bunch of morons who aren't even familiar with proxies -_-'. So I expect nothing from them. I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who helps me out in this ****.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I think the cable light blinking just indicates that the modem is unable to connect.
The change of the IP is just windows trying to get an IP from the modem, and since this fails it assigns a local IP to your pc.
So my guess would be that it's your ISP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom