My first problem with PS2! Someone Help

New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
1,077
Best answers
0
I have had my PS2 now for nearly 2yrs, I got it the 2nd week it
came out. I recently bought Ghost Recon, Devil May Cry, and Onimusha 2. I beat them all. But I wanna replay Ghost Recon on Elite mode.

And I cant because now ALL MY GAMES wont run, I keep getting
a disc read error. And the only game I can play is Winback: Covert Operations, Its old as hell I know and it uses the Goldeneye Engine from the looks of it, only its in 3rd person view.

At first I thought it was only the games w/ the silver like back part
but then I tried Dynasty Warriors 3, which it has a blue like back side, it wont work either. And Winback I think has a purple or blue back part to it dont remember. So basically. Out of 8 games that I have I can only play 1. I searched other sites. And before this problem happend to me Some ppl told me they had this problem. Sites recommend cleaning lenses. Last time I opened up a hardware it got ****ed. And my other friend had to get another PS2, He said "Its-the-only-way". So if this problem happends to me within another year does that mean I gotta keep buying PS2'? Why isn't Sony doing anything about this ****ing proble ;(
 
New Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
36
Best answers
0
Originally posted by Proud_Prince
I have had my PS2 now for nearly 2yrs, I got it the 2nd week it
came out. I recently bought Ghost Recon, Devil May Cry, and Onimusha 2. I beat them all. But I wanna replay Ghost Recon on Elite mode.

And I cant because now ALL MY GAMES wont run, I keep getting
a disc read error. And the only game I can play is Winback: Covert Operations, Its old as hell I know and it uses the Goldeneye Engine from the looks of it, only its in 3rd person view.

At first I thought it was only the games w/ the silver like back part
but then I tried Dynasty Warriors 3, which it has a blue like back side, it wont work either. And Winback I think has a purple or blue back part to it dont remember. So basically. Out of 8 games that I have I can only play 1. I searched other sites. And before this problem happend to me Some ppl told me they had this problem. Sites recommend cleaning lenses. Last time I opened up a hardware it got ****ed. And my other friend had to get another PS2, He said "Its-the-only-way". So if this problem happends to me within another year does that mean I gotta keep buying PS2'? Why isn't Sony doing anything about this ****ing proble ;(
Maybe because you haven't asked them to? I mean seriously don't expect them to drop everything just to fix your one problem that they have to be psychic to know about. Why do you call tech support and ask them for help don't just wait there for them to come to you.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Feb 14, 2002
Messages
2,789
Best answers
0
if you chiped your ps2 and played certan games onn it, it fries your console, so hahhahahahhahaha at u if u did, if not i dunno whats up, just take it back, they come with a 3 yr garente, mine does anyways
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
1,077
Best answers
0
As I said before, Im not the only person that has this problem.
And Sony SHOULD know about this. I dont have my warranty anymore D: Cause my PS2 was running find and I never thought I would need it :( I left it at my fathers house when I was living with him but I dont know if its still there.

Sooner or later this problem will come to you two as well ;(
And then you will join my in my ***** war lmao. j/k
But seriously why would they release a system that has this
problem, Makes no sense at all. I always clean it too, the fan and the disc drive w/ one of those thingies. forgot the name. so I wont have to open the case and clean it. Good bye Onimusha 3....
I always wanted to play you.... *looks at PS2 and throws it out the window*
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Feb 14, 2002
Messages
2,789
Best answers
0
Originally posted by Proud_Prince
As I said before, Im not the only person that has this problem.
And Sony SHOULD know about this. I dont have my warranty anymore D: Cause my PS2 was running find and I never thought I would need it :( I left it at my fathers house when I was living with him but I dont know if its still there.

Sooner or later this problem will come to you two as well ;(
And then you will join my in my ***** war lmao. j/k
But seriously why would they release a system that has this
problem, Makes no sense at all. I always clean it too, the fan and the disc drive w/ one of those thingies. forgot the name. so I wont have to open the case and clean it. Good bye Onimusha 3....
I always wanted to play you.... *looks at PS2 and throws it out the window*
i have had my ps2 since the 1st year it came out, maybe u should of treated urs better
 
New Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
111
Best answers
0
I had this same problem with my ps2 its 2 years old as well , you need to go get a cleaner for the laser , its probly filled with dust and the laser is so dirty it cant read anything , thats what I did worked eversence i cleaned it.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
1,077
Best answers
0
Where can I find a cleaner for the laser? And does it envolve opening up the PS2 ;/
 
New Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2002
Messages
676
Best answers
0
You can get laser cleaners at most retail stores. All it is is a cd with brushes on that clean the lense. I used one on my a few weeks ago cause it wouldn't play Gran Tourismo3 and now it works just fine.
 

owa

New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Aug 26, 2002
Messages
1,043
Best answers
0
That happened to my PSX. I just boguht a new one.
 
New Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Messages
584
Best answers
0
Ummm, i had that problem. I talked to one of the guys at the Sony Store. He told me that PS2's are only lasting about 2-3 years. If urs lasts any more than 3 years you are LUCKY. They are not built to last, and they will not reimburse you. You have to buy another one. I not sure if the problem is the same, but i just stopped playin console altogether
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
1,077
Best answers
0
Originally posted by Tsunami
You can get laser cleaners at most retail stores. All it is is a cd with brushes on that clean the lense. I used one on my a few weeks ago cause it wouldn't play Gran Tourismo3 and now it works just fine.
With Burshes on it? Wont it get stuck inside the PS2 D: The CD Drive
is really Small...
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Messages
1,183
Best answers
0
the problem with your ps2 is the first ones made had serious defects i have 5 friends who bought theres the first day and 1 year later all of them just stopped functioning. u can do anything about it either because the warranty has expired. Basically the first ps2's were pos.
 
New Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2002
Messages
842
Best answers
0
thats been happening to me, i got it the christmas the ps2 came out, adn it was bought at the lunch in sydney

and its F'ing up now to with old games like ssx and fifa, but

u need to have the ps2 on its side, to work properly, and if u get the disc error clean the disk and blow into your ps2 via the diskdrive then i usealy works for me
 
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Dec 1, 2001
Messages
7,416
Best answers
0
Putting the PS2 vertically greatly increases chances of damage.

90% of the disk read errors are from vibrating PS2 CD-ROMs, the DVD's vibrate less, because they are thicker and the PS2 grabs them better.

A suggestion I heard was two equal lengths of scotch tape straddling the spindle hole on the disk.

Like: ||o||

But it needs to be exact . . . or it can make more Vibration problems.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
1,077
Best answers
0
I have read those two suggestions before big bang attack.
They dont work, And I have always ran my PS2 on its side.
I have also tried blowing air into the PS2. :(
 
New Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2002
Messages
842
Best answers
0
use could open
your ps2 fully open and get all the dust out, but that my be abit exterm

or just play new games cause they seem to work fine
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top