My first plugin - Water Splash W.I.P

Best answers
So couple months ago I said on the forum that i'd make a plugin where when thrown into a body of water, it would splash. Since then in April I stopped after having a bit of success with the coding. I've now picked it back up and have picked up where I left off with the coding. Most of the coding is done and I've added in the splash sound as well. With headphones (& I am sure surround sound) it sounds good and has the 3d effects so u know what's going around u.

My only problem right now is I suck at making sprites. So I can't make a splashing effect and I don't know how to manipulate its rotation using pawn coding. I only want it to rotate about the Z-axis. How do I use pev_angles? Is that what I am suppose to be using?

Any help is appreciated

P.S
Stay tuned :yes:

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So couple months ago I said on the forum that i'd make a plugin where when thrown into a body of water, it would splash. Since then in April I stopped after having a bit of success with the coding. I've now picked it back up and have picked up where I left off with the coding. Most of the coding is done and I've added in the splash sound as well. With headphones (& I am sure surround sound) it sounds good and has the 3d effects so u know what's going around u.

My only problem right now is I suck at making sprites. So I can't make a splashing effect and I don't know how to manipulate its rotation using pawn coding. I only want it to rotate about the Z-axis. How do I use pev_angles? Is that what I am suppose to be using?

Any help is appreciated

P.S
Stay tuned :yes:
Why not just use the powerup dust trails?

Best answers
That can work

That's not a bad idea. It can be good for creating white water but it's too big and has the sense of steam or smoke. I tried it earlier and couldn't manipulate it past the first frame. I feel as if I am dealing with a particle system now, I even developed some equation using the velocity at which the player enters the water but because I can't get pass the first frame it's no good.

I think I might set it's movetype to "player" or something and give it initial velocity and see how that works.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's not a bad idea. It can be good for creating white water but it's too big and has the sense of steam or smoke. I tried it earlier and couldn't manipulate it past the first frame. I feel as if I am dealing with a particle system now, I even developed some equation using the velocity at which the player enters the water but because I can't get pass the first frame it's no good.

I think I might set it's movetype to "player" or something and give it initial velocity and see how that works.
Just dont overuse that. It can lead to lag.

Best answers
That's exactly what I am noticing. I get over 100 FPS but I see it drop to 80 sometimes, which is unsual, with just me in the server.

Here's what I did today:

I successfully found a movetype for the entity that is affected by gravity (more specifically the value of sv_gravity). I was also able to give it an initial velocity which in the future will come from the impact speed of the player.

I also had to derive some old high school physics formulas with constant acceleration and only initial velocity known. I was able to calculate the time of flight of a "water droplet" and precisely set a task (using set_task) to remove the entity in exactly that time calculated. So far it's looking good (judging by just 1 droplet) and coming along.

There's a tip for those still learning like me.

Best answers
Well it's been done since yesterday. I successfully got it to splash upon entry or exiting water. The highest point of witch the splash goes is dependent on the angle of entry/exit and speed.

I don't yet want to release it on a wide spread. Is there anyone that would like to try it and give me feedback?

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well it's been done since yesterday. I successfully got it to splash upon entry or exiting water. The highest point of witch the splash goes is dependent on the angle of entry/exit and speed.

I don't yet want to release it on a wide spread. Is there anyone that would like to try it and give me feedback?
i would like like to try it and also help in any psossible tweaking as i to am learning to code (bump)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I always looked for this kind of plugin! I hope it will get the best it can, that you will spread it and not keep it to yourself (xD) I wish you the best of luck

Best answers
:D yea I am just waiting on a few comments/replies from people. But i'll release it for everyone to enjoy

Here's a pic. It's kind of bad because I am working with bots but i tried.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
show some movies

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Or make the picture MUCH bigger, so we can zoom into detail.

By the way, if this plugin turns out to be good, I think it should be released with the final release of 1.3, serious.

Still when can you release it?

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Works really well ^_^

Tested on a handful of maps..,
Spashes for thrown and meleed enemies.
Sometimes wouldnt happen but worked majority of the time.
Wouldnt work in really shallow water, but with impact dust plugin, one had a substitute effect.
I wouldve suggested changing the RGB to a slight blue, but then it wouldnt look right for namekian waters. If you could discern the water colour from a map and adjust the RGB accordingly it would be nifty, but too much of a hassle really.
Is it possible to make the effect radiate outwards a bit more? ATM it produces a massive water column effect as opposed to a splash. Make the next particle slighter bigger than the preceding one.

Thats my 2cents, great job !

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well from the screenshot i suggest adding a lil more details maybe like this:

Best answers
Thanks Raven that's exactly what I am trying to obtain. In my plugin each drop is seperately handled and has their own velocity and are all affected by the set in game gravity. I couldn't possibly do that for all those little ones so I am trying to figure out a way of doing so while keeping the realistic splash look.

Kynetik thx for the help. I will have to add code to handle shallow water and of course it will have to look like what's in Raven's picture (small water droplets)

In regards to the question about 1.3 and water splashing... I have no control over that and that's something the esf team would have to decide and implement. lol hopefully If i do a good enough job, they will be inspired to :)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Raven already posted a pic of the thing you need, so why not Raven will give you what he used/did to make his(raven) water splash.

By the way Raven where is that pic from?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well hows the progress? Is it good? Did you used what raven shows? Are you gonna release it anytime soon, looks too awesome to wait!

Best answers
LOL...patience... I am actually just tweaking a few things. Also seeing if i can use the shield sprite in anyway to increase realism. In terms of release, although yes it works, I want it to be really good so it unfortunately won't be anytime soon. But keep visiting this thread, I am likely to say what I've recently worked on and will usually ask for opinions here as well.

Kynetik: I missed something in ur reply, and that's I can change the RGB very easily. It terms of programming that I can cheat and use the map name to my advantage or see if there's a unique property about the water and its color that I can use. Also shallow water like in esf_canyon is very tricky still working on that :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom