Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool, nice to see you can retrieve water colour properties from maps, that would make the plugin very versatile across different maps.

I noticed the shallow water thing on a kame house/islands map (cant remember which off the top of my head now) Would be no splash in water you could stand in, but i also had impact dust plugin so there was still a visual effect.

Although i assume youve probably tried this, perhaps you could check for a wall/floor collision and also check that player is in water. You could then apply your effect, or exploit the powerup water/ripples ?

Im thinking the problem is detecting the shallow water so you can apply your event?

I know there are pev values for submersion :

pev_waterlevel
0 - Not in water
1 - Wading
2 - Mostly submerged
3 - Completely submerged

I thinking maybe this wont check for partly submerged/standing in shallow water?

Im not sure but this may be useful :

pev_watertype
-1 - No water
-3 - Water
-4 - Slim (I think this is the shallow water?)
-5 - Lava

Last edited:
Best answers
This plugin looks extremely interesting and it could make things fun, is the splasing effects also going to count for beams and any objects like rocks that collide with it ?
for the rest it sounds like a great release.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
is the splashing effects also going to count for beams and any objects like rocks that collide with it ?
ATM it only works when a player hits the waters surface (from above or below) when they are hit or thrown.
Its theoretically possible to create the splash when a beamhead collides with the water, though Im doubtful itll happen. I would love to see it though...

As for rocks - what rocks?

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldnt worry about them =/ Tad unnecessary.
They only appear briefly, and would make the tiniest splash if they actually made it to the water. It would only serve to consume cycles imo.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
If I were you I'd use old effect I used on my swoop dust trails.

Best answers
Hey guys,

Thanks KYnetiK for answering all the questions pretty accurately. I've been having computer downtime and currently am at a friends. The only additions before the downtime are splashing in shallow water and free fall splashing (debating whether to keep it though). I've also optimized the programming a bit for speed.

ENcore_SX care to explain in detail what you mean by old effect?

edit:
I just realized yesterday that I will have to revamp the code a bit. I noticed that beams only use 1 entity and my plugin/splash uses over 200 entities!! This is exactly how I programmed it and each sprite is an individual entity. That's a big problem. I've recently learnt that I am suppose to use messages. However I don't fully know how to use their full ability. Hopefully most of my linear algebra derivations won't go to waste, lol.

Last edited:
Best answers
Woah i've been away for a while and i *whistles* hate the new lay-out. Anwayz so has this mod been released or not ? or made any progress with it ?
it looked so promising don't say you dropped it.

Best answers
Woah i've been away for a while and i *whistles* hate the new lay-out. Anwayz so has this mod been released or not ? or made any progress with it ?
it looked so promising don't say you dropped it.
LOL sorry bud... yes i did dropped the ball on this one. Ever since I had to revamp the code and start using messages, I've had major difficulties. The splash never did what I wanted it to and when it was suppose to. So I got frustrated and then school started. So it's on hold indefinitely. I really hope though that the ESF team picks up my slack and is inspired to include it in 1.3 with the one small res pic I included, lol. It shouldn't be too hard for their experienced programmers anyway. The sound and look really added a lot to the game IMO (based on the very first version of the plugin, which i never released)

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Spewin, i was hoping you had made some progress optimising it. Was looking forward to seeing splashing in shallow water and free fall splashing. Ah well thems the brakes I guess.

I still have what you had given me to test. Would you prefer me to keep it under lock and key?

Best answers
Yeh i'd really like to see the continuation of this mod. If its going to be integrated in the future into 1.3 i'd hope to get updated.

Best answers
Spewin, i was hoping you had made some progress optimising it. Was looking forward to seeing splashing in shallow water and free fall splashing. Ah well thems the brakes I guess.

I still have what you had given me to test. Would you prefer me to keep it under lock and key?
Yea keep it for now. I'll decide in christmas, when I have free time, whether I'll release it. Also last I remembered, I fixed the shallow water and free fall splashing (with a minor bug of holding spacebar on surface of water crashing the game).

Right about now I"d like to read an esf team member's two cents :)

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If I find some free time I might add water splash effects... my two cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom