My first ever attempt at modeling a face

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ooh! That's nice! Only thing is I wouldn't start a DBZ face with the eyes narrowed if your using it for video. Game is fine, but I think its best to start the expression with the wide eyes full open half-oval sort of thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, what primitive (original object) did you begin with?

Best answers
A lil tip to make ur backgound planes less pixely.
customise>preferences>viewports>configure driver> tick both "match bitmap as close as possible"

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jasonc said:
3rd attempt.. this one ill finsh. Thank you to Trowa who has been teaching loads of new thing's about modeling in 3d studio max here is a eirly shot of the progress of the face so far! =]

Be careful of how much you put into the face, I'm not an expert at modeling but you shouldn't put that much detail in there since it might make the poly count higher than Half-Life's limit (that is if you're making it for ESF).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh well, for a game like HL, its sometimes best to start end high poly and then multires. Saves time approximating and cuts out the middle-man.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really... starting high poly probably isn't a smart thing to do since you can completely mess up a model, try not to read too much into what I said, I'm not good at modeling at all nor do I know a whole lot about it.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I spot a 5 sided poly, which, according to what someone told me, is a big nono. Fix that and it'd be good. However, your face doesn't look much like Goku, imo. Though I can't really tell you what's wrong with it. The eyes look too far apart, however it could just be me.. o_O I'm half asleep atm.. >_<. Good job though. Try finishing a whole head instead of constantly starting over.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh I dunno. I've only ever had good results when using multires responsible. You just have to be careful about how heavy you make some parts vertex wise. Of course you don't want it to have TOO much detail if its for game. Just enough. Probably just one use of the mesh/turbo-smooth function and then multi-res to the desired/required poly/vertex limit.

Best answers
Ahh guys lol. na man it's not as high poly anymore by far ill post a update pic. havnt been workin on it tonight been out geting drunk. tell me what u think of update :) ow and the image im using is pixely btw.. ill post that as well! And as i was saying.. i suck at modeling still but im improving slowly! big thanks to my main man trowa! and Punishing on yahoo it says u are offline all the time.

(also the smooth groups on eye brow are a little dodge ill fix them but rest is fine.. bad lighting though >_< hehe) ow yeh and ignore the 5 sided polly forgot to cut it befor i posted picture hehe!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
You still have a 5 sided poly.

I'd suggest connecting those 2 vertices.

Best answers
Yeh i did hehe.. i fixed it soon as i noticed it on pic. sry about that :) did put in my edit that i noticed hehe

*edit* Well here are the edit's i done.. now im off to bed.. finsh top half and do hair tomorrow! :)

Best answers
Looks like you grasped it completely. It looks great man, definitely potential there. No on to the rest of the head.

Best answers
I got bored.. for a secound so played with the ink paint thingy on my model.. haha ..

next to do is fix the jaw abit. and do neck. then i guess hair :X

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bring the top of the neck back a bit. Otherwise it makes Goku look fat and make it hard to animate.

Best answers
yeh neck didnt go as planned as i wanted it to.. so got to tune it up alot ^^ hehe.. follow the ref abit more i think :) so ill post updates when i done more. ^^ thanks for the crits

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom