My feedback on ESF

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You know thats actually called KI management. And beeing to easy to keep your KI is the reason why pros dont like to go SSJ ^^

@vegetaspride

Your melee idea of hitting when you let go of the button will never work. You can see test how impossible it is to let go of the button at the exact precise moment to make the hit connect. To test it out go to 1.2, dissable advanced melee (yes you can do that) and try to press it at the right moment to make a hit. Then imagine the lag from ping added onto that.

As for the unresponsiveness. The open beta allready has a swoop button >.>

First of all I have only looked at te final stable release which was 1.2.3 so my feedback is based on that.

I still think the idea of hitting when the button is released will work but you should see that I did not talk about the exact moment or place to release the button. Instead there is a range, you don't have to collide with the opponent all you need to be is to be close enough (it maybe 1/2 teleporting distance for example) and when you release you will instantly throw the punch and first person in the way will be hit (the player model may even be teleported until it hits). This is like shooting a beam, instantly. Of course you don't need to aim it perfectly, if the player is close to the middle of the screen when releasing it is done.

Even if swooping and moving is made to sonsume less ki if you every melee attack takes a lot of ki ki management will still have a big effect.

Do you have a video on the 1.3 melee?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Swooping shouldn't use as much ki as it did in 1.2, but its definitely a key part of the game since it's the biggest regulator of ki management.

The fact is a release to hit is plagued with ping issues, you give people a much greater reward for picking a low ping server. ESF is fast paced, and expecting people to release on target is a big ask, as well as it not being net code friendly.

Melee is getting changes noted in the link mentioned by snowman.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you have a video on the 1.3 melee?
We dont have a video since its all still WIP. But melee will cost no KI. Melee is stamina based as said many times.

We are allso making it simpler to use like it was in 1.1

And no we will not have dance dance revolution back (advanced melee in 1.2) XD

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RT those options are all in.

Just that everyone dissables them.
My arguement exactly. this can apply to unreal tournament, or any dm games. you can infinitly play but frags have no real incentive. I want to see most servers that have a small frag limit, 30/50 kills then new map, show them you rule all over again.

kinda puts a point and less tiring of seeing the same enviroment just because someone is breaking the 100million pl after hours of the exact same thing but different new comers >.>

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My arguement exactly. this can apply to unreal tournament, or any dm games. you can infinitly play but frags have no real incentive. I want to see most servers that have a small frag limit, 30/50 kills then new map, show them you rule all over again.

kinda puts a point and less tiring of seeing the same enviroment just because someone is breaking the 100million pl after hours of the exact same thing but different new comers >.>
Actually most people just settle for a time limit rather than a frag limit.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

That would be bad. I've found that new players hate it when a map changes. A map change means that all of your PL is now gone, all of the work you did towards a transformation is gone. The good players generally don't have a problem nor even care about transforming.

1. Get rid of advanced melee, it is simply nonesense, maybe a break for players but that's all. Turned based luck system is not suitable for this game...
Advanced melee is gone in 1.3. Instead, characters are now going to be given special attacks. Every time you deal damage to someone, a bar will fill up. When that bar is 1/3rd full, you can do a cool, over the top special attack. When that bar is 2/3rds full, you can do a cooler, more over the top special attack. Etc.

2. Movement:

- Swooping: One button swooping is a must plain and simple, tapping buttons making the game unresponsive even under little lag.

- Moving takes too much energy. By swooping you can finish your ki very fast (I know you are trying to limit it because it is teh main dynamic of figting BUT please read the melee part and you will see that there are other ways). Make gliding, swoop jumps one button.

- You may also think of adjusting teleporting range and speed.
One button swoop is already in. I'm in love with it. As for moving taking too much energy, I don't think any of that stuff is determined yet, but it probably will.

Can't say I really like your idea for advanced melee. Because of special attacks and some other changes to melee, the game shouldn't be kicking over and over.

As for blocking, I actually think it's very useful if you know how to use it. It's not something that you can rely on to always score you hits, but I do know a few ways to get some hits from a block. It's also great at helping you out of a jam if you're low on ki.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom