My DVD burner dosn't read or write blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've recently bought a new rig but put my old Lite-on dvd writer inside. The problem is, that now it dosn't read blanks. It runs game cd's/dvd's and every other media that has something on it.

Btw some time ago, i tried to update my firmware, it said that it couldn't detec the drive >_> But i can't quite remember the number of my drive -.-

Thx in advance.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I'm not sure if these will work, But anythings worth a shot!

First things first, Check to see if The IDE cable is in correctly, in that the entire plastic strip thingy is perfectly aligned and all the way into the drive and on the motherboard, and that the little red stripe on the IDE cable faces towards the molex Power connector.

Make sure you have the Master, Slave, Cable select thingy set-up correctly.
I've had issues in the past where having it set to cable select allows XP to recognize the drive, but not pick up any media, Putting it onto master or slave solved the problem.

Next lets see if you have DMA enable, goto:
Start
Control Panel
Device Manager
IDE/Atapi Controllers
select the channel the secondary or Primary channel that the drive is located on.
Right click, Goto Properties, Click on the Advanced Settings tab.
And enable DMA.

Also try changing brands on the media you use, Get a DVD drive lens cleaner and give that a run.

Also If none of the above work, try uninstalling the drive in Device manager, Reboot and let Windows pick it up again.

Another thing to try is flashing it back to its original bios image.

Otherwise another user may have a solution, but it looks like a new drive may be in order.

Best answers
Jakut said:
I've recently bought a new rig but put my old Lite-on dvd writer inside. The problem is, that now it dosn't read blanks. It runs game cd's/dvd's and every other media that has something on it.
Then that means the drive and all the cables are more than likely working, it just sounds like a software/firmware problem.

What's the actual drive called? (like full name, don't say "lite-on" =p). You said you didn't know, so to find out, go to My Computer and right click on the DVD-RW's icon, and click Hardware. Find the one pertaining to the drive, and thar you go.

Oh, and uh, right click on the drive and see if there's a "Recording" tab.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
drw-3s167

And there is no "recording" tab

EDIT: Don't post the 4kus thing :p It dosn't detect my drive.

Best answers
Have you installed any other writing/burning software? Are they able to detect the blank media?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Neither nero nor alcohol detect anything.

EDIT: Problem fixed thx to Smiffie and Jesus "The Saint" Christ.

here's what smiffie said to do

Chris says (20:07):
Start -> Run -> services.msc -> right click on the imapi and click start

Best answers
Easy fix, problem solved, thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom