My compy needs help, fast

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't have to overclock to get it to 2700 speeds, just look for what is called the RAM divider, or RAM Clock. In the settings you'll get a selection of 5 choices: 100, 133, 166, 200, and auto (it might be 2x all of those, depends which mobo you have). Just select 166 and try booting. If you're worried about the timings, just put them all on Auto and when you put the RAM at 166, then it'll automatically know you're putting its second speed, so it'll lower timings to compensate.

This is the best image I could find on google. Yours will probably be completely different, but it's a good example:

Would messing with my ram timing and the latency change my ram frequency or not?
No, you'd have to do more, but just follow my instructions.

Best answers
Their is an option in my BIOS that gives me a choice of switching between AUTO, 333, and 400 mhz modes. I chose 333 and it still didn't work, I think that I will call PNY, and see what they have to say about it.

Best answers
Yeah PNY sucks, anyways I gave Albatron an email asking about the ram and they said that PC2100 will work in it it's just that they recommend atleast PC2700 memory, so I am taking it up to a computer store and they are going to test all of my parts, and try to diagnose whats wrong, for free, Yeah!!!!!!!! (fake enthusiasm)

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
crashmann64 said:
Their is an option in my BIOS that gives me a choice of switching between AUTO, 333, and 400 mhz modes. I chose 333 and it still didn't work, I think that I will call PNY, and see what they have to say about it.
As in you pc wont start up, or the sensor software still saying its pc2100?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Any chance you could try it with a diff harddrive? I had one pain in the ass repair job that had the exact same restart point, all because the mobo was picky about the HD... Btw, have u got loads of other gubbins connected to it? (dvd, cd-writer etc) if so, try disconnecting all that.

Best answers
Wow good guess Solidius, I took it up to a local computer store to get that free evaluation I told you guys about and it turns out that my hard drive is either bad (I dont think it is) or my mobo doesn't like it, thats what the Technician said.

Best answers
Sorry for the double post but I didn't want to delete the other one, anyway I got it back and they are right, somehow the hard drive was fried but the thing is though is that I put a different hard drive into my computer that was working perfectly fine in another computer and it did the exact same thing, so i put it back into the older one and it worked fine, Am I supposed to erase partitions then format it? because thats what it seems like.

No one is listening anymore are they?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know this is way off topic, but just so you know, there is an edit button, and you can edit your posts. You don't have to delete them.

As for your problem sorry I can't help you. I'm not a computer whizz.

Best answers
I got the computer back from the computer repair shop. They can put in an 80 gig hard drive and a new copy of windows xp for $200. Anyway they said that my hard drive is bad (like I said) and I took it home to test it myself and sure enough it is working perfectly fine so it's not bad. I tried a different hard drive in the stupid thing and it didn't work, so I called them and they cant explain why that happens and they just told me that something is messed up with my whole data transfer system or something like that. So I think that my Headers for my IDE ribbon cable is bad or if the whole stupid mobo is bad but I'm not sure if i should take it back or not. So Should I take it back or not because I'm about to.

Sorry for keeping this whole thread open, but thanks for the help for who ever is still even working with me.

Best answers
crashmann64 said:
I got the computer back from the computer repair shop. They can put in an 80 gig hard drive and a new copy of windows xp for $200. Anyway they said that my hard drive is bad (like I said) and I took it home to test it myself and sure enough it is working perfectly fine so it's not bad. I tried a different hard drive in the stupid thing and it didn't work, so I called them and they cant explain why that happens and they just told me that something is messed up with my whole data transfer system or something like that. So I think that my Headers for my IDE ribbon cable is bad or if the whole stupid mobo is bad but I'm not sure if i should take it back or not. So Should I take it back or not because I'm about to.

Sorry for keeping this whole thread open, but thanks for the help for who ever is still even working with me.
If you let them do that you'd get ripped off. You can get an 80gig hard drive for under $100 and if you installed your windows XP yourself then you should have the cd. Or ask one of your friends for their Windows XP cd It would be useless to buy another copy of XP if you had one put on there anyways. Did the computer start messing up when you bought it or did you just upgrade it or what?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
crashmann64 said:

Ok here is what you need to do. I feel this is the only option you have left. Go to the phone book. Look up "computers" and look and call all the computer repair and service places you can. And talk to them to see who has the best deal and cheapest prices. Send your computer in. Tell them what's wrong, and let them deal with it.

Seems no one on the board can help you at the moment, so if you really want your computer fixed. It seems the best way to go.

Best answers
Yeah well I'm using my eMachines restore cd's and I just realized that even if the mobo is bad and it will start up, my computer isnt an emachines. Those cd's will only work with an emachines computer, so either way It wont boot. Sorry for the stupid mistake. I think that I'm still going to pay the repair store to do it to make sure it is done right, I'm done with trying to get that dumb thing to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom