My compy needs help, fast

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Try installing Win 98, if that loads then try an upgrade to Win XP instead of a fresh install.

And there is no hardware swap that requires you to reformat/reinstall, not even motherboard and CPU. None.

If you still can't fix it try asking at www.techsupportforum.com

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
crashmann64 said:
Yup, I deleted the partitions and i reformatted and it still does it, I tested my ram and it works and if it didn't then explain to me how i can get into the bios and let it run for a while (not to be rude, :D ) Personally I think I dont have enough ram, because that video card uses ram and windows xp uses ram so it is probably getting drained.

and what are the culprits that cause a system to restart? all i can think of is not having enough ram and overheating system/processor, anything else?
Finally someone got the point :tired:
More RAM. And I don't think ur motherboard doesn't like ur ram. Lemme give you a test. If you have another computer ( I guess so, since you cannot be on i-net on the one which doesnt want to start :laff: ), try putting there ur GFX card, unless it has AGP slot ( in AGP version x300 is not that kinda b*tch ).
If you have atleast 512 MB of RAM there, it'll start, but it'll be a bloody start o_O

Best answers
Well I did try something, if I'm right caching uses up system memry right? So i turned off all caching just to see if it would work and it still shut down but it waited a few more seconds before it did and it let itself load all of the stuff onto the ram that It could until it overloaded itself and shutdown, I think anyways.

Retired
Best answers
Tassadar said:
No I'm most certainly not joking. It's recommended in my friend's A+ Computer Hardware book.

After major changes like a mobo switch, it is almost required to format, most of the times I've purchased a new motherboard/processor I couldn't get into Windows either, I've had this problem. Windows doesn't handle major changes, that's my experiance. You can disagree with me all you want, I'm just speaking out of experiance, but I would prefer you would not discredit everything I say just because you don't agree.

I certainly hope no one hires your friend as a computer Tech anytime soon.

He should also look Into a Better A+ Book because Mine Doesn't Say anything as Stupid As That.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Buy teh RAM.
Then it'll start. That's only expense you need to make to enjoy ur new comp ^^

Best answers
I know, i know, i'll buy the ram but does caching use up memory? just want to know, and how much should I buy, I was thinking just half a gig for now then if it works get the other half later, what do you think?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This really sounds familiar to instability, not inability. You have plenty of RAM, but I think either your CPU is overheating or something is wrong with your RAM. When you're booting up to windows, does it load fine for a second, then flash blue screen, then restart? ATi's Hypermemory will only add into RAM when it's required, while in Windows, it'll run fine on its own RAM.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
It's the ram, trust me.

You have enough, but as SaiyanPride said its mostly likely defect.

I had it with my TwinMos memory, I could load up to windows, but couldnt login.

Maybe if you have a friend who wants to test your ram.(Ram switch, compatible ram ofcourse ;x)

Best answers
Devion is right, my ram is the problem. I first bought this stick of ram at Office Depot and it is a hybrid stick, it's both PC2100 and PC2700 and PC2100 is it's native setting but it can switch to PC2700 frequency It's just that I dont know how to switch it. My mobo only supports PC2700 or PC3200 Memory and I downloaded a ram testing program that boots off of a Floppy disk and I tested to find out that my ram isn't bad but it is clocked at PC2100 and I cant change it, the system decides what the frequency is apparently and I cant do a thing about it because I dont know how. So I will call PNY and give you an update on it later. But it looks like that I found out whats wrong.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
It's the ram, trust me.
Smith| said:
You have plenty of RAM, but I think either your CPU is overheating or something is wrong with your RAM.
:p, just incase you didn't see that in my post. Well, it's good you fixed the problem. You definitely need to get that RAM up to AT LEAST 2700 speeds, intel processors require lots of RAM bandwidth.

Best answers
no smith, I seen it, sorry to ignore it though. My system is running cool enough and my processor is running at 50 degrees celsius but dont be so sure that it is fixed yet, I could be wrong, although it's doesn't sound likely.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
crashmann64 said:
Devion is right, my ram is the problem. I first bought this stick of ram at Office Depot and it is a hybrid stick, it's both PC2100 and PC2700 and PC2100 is it's native setting but it can switch to PC2700 frequency It's just that I dont know how to switch it. My mobo only supports PC2700 or PC3200 Memory and I downloaded a ram testing program that boots off of a Floppy disk and I tested to find out that my ram isn't bad but it is clocked at PC2100 and I cant change it, the system decides what the frequency is apparently and I cant do a thing about it because I dont know how. So I will call PNY and give you an update on it later. But it looks like that I found out whats wrong.
Go to the bios, loosen the latency times and you can set it on a higher frequency without damaging your ram.

Best answers
So you want me to overclock my ram frequency from 266 mhz to 333 or 400 mhz?

This kind of area is where I fall, I have no clue on how to do that. Can you explain to me how I would?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
crashmann64 said:
So you want me to overclock my ram frequency from 266 mhz to 333 or 400 mhz?

This kind of area is where I fall, I have no clue on how to do that. Can you explain to me how I would?
333 mhz, also you dont have to loose your latency numbers since its (as you call it) hybrid ram.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
crashmann64 said:
Well, if I dont need to loosen my latency numbers then what do i do?
Just put fsb up to 333 mhz

Best answers
This may sound stupid and I'm not sure if your card needs it, but do you have it powered by those molex connectors. I remember me installing my card, it wouldn't run either, just a long bleep and restart. Maybe you already done this and it might even not be the problem, if it's not, it might indeed be the RAM as discussed above.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
crashmann64 said:
My CPU FSB?
Ram should work on 333 MHZ.(x2, ddr ;))

And your CPU 667 MHZ.

Carnage said:
This may sound stupid and I'm not sure if your card needs it, but do you have it powered by those molex connectors. I remember me installing my card, it wouldn't run either, just a long bleep and restart. Maybe you already done this and it might even not be the problem, if it's not, it might indeed be the RAM as discussed above.
Molex connection isnt on a x300 ;)

Only on high-end cards like 6800/x800.

Best answers
Ah ok, I knew it wasn't required for all/most cards but I didn't knew which ones.

Anyway, if it really is the ram, there's only one way to find out, add some more or relpace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom